DIY Post-Bacc plan to compensate for previous part-time courseload

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0Mik3cho

Dentgineer
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since I come from an engineering degree, I have to finish general biology, and organic chemistry. This year, i had a part-time course load where I only took general biology and organic chemistry (online due to it being full at my school) and an EMT course. BIG REGRET. I could have easily handled a couple more humanities courses. Should have taken a full courseload in retrospect but no changing that. I got A’s in both for the fall semester and expect As again this spring semester. Not getting an A with a part-time courseload would obviously look very bad.

Going forward, this coming summer, I will take the biology and organic chemistry labs that I couldn’t get into during the regular semesters. I will also take a physical chemistry course to meet my second semester of chemistry requirement in conjunction with my previous key taken single semester engineering general chemistry course. These 9 credits will be taken in person. I will also take courses in anthropology and medical sociology online from my previous university for a total of 16 credits. If it proves too difficulty, I would drop one of these other online courses to have a 13 hr course load.

In the coming fall, I will then take biochemistry, two sciences such as microbiology or cancer biology or anatomy, and a humanities to get 12 credits.

I don’t plan on taking anything in the spring because I’m not trying to boost my GPA. My goal is just to get some more full-time course work.

Will this be sufficient to demonstrate that I can handle a tough courseload to compensate for the part-time course load this year? Current cGPA = 3.65, AACOMAS sGPA = 3.7, engineering major GPA = 3.75. All other pre-requisites were taken with a full-time courseload.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your plan is a waste of time/money for DO and possibly MD as well. Your GPA is high enough that it doesn't matter. Ace the remaining pre-reqs and apply. You don't need to compensate for anything.

Do you have an MCAT score? If you do and its above 500, take general biology and organic chemistry this summer/fall and apply this year.

Otherwise, dump 2-3 months into MCAT studying, get a 508+ and apply MD/DO next year.

@Goro Can you over any advice in this situation? Would the benefits outweigh the costs?
I think that you've already shown that you can handle a rigorous curriculum. Just check with MSAR Online to see if some random schools are OK with online pre-reqs. Some are, and some aren't.

Reactions: 1 user