DIY Post Bacc Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

misshopeful20

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I plan to do a DIY post bacc starting this summer but was not sure if I should retake the classes I got a C or C+ in. Unfortunately, most of the science classes I took I got a C/C+ in. I've been told by premed advisors that I should retake all the courses I have gotten any sort of C in. I have also been told by medical students to only retake the courses I got a C- in, then from there take new upper division biology classes. My overall goal is to increase my sGPA to a 3.0.
 
Do not retake classes unless it's BELOW the minimum required grade (which I think is a C-?). You're EXPECTED to get an A in your retakes, so not only will it not impress any adcoms, it can also be a neutral at best, despite your efforts. Your goal is not to bump up your GPA, but to demonstrate the ability to consistently achieve high grades (3.7+) in science classes you HAVEN'T taken before. Raising your GPA simply follows as a consequence of that.

 
Do not retake classes unless it's BELOW the minimum required grade (which I think is a C-?). You're EXPECTED to get an A in your retakes, so not only will it not impress any adcoms, it can also be a neutral at best, despite your efforts. Your goal is not to bump up your GPA, but to demonstrate the ability to consistently achieve high grades (3.7+) in science classes you HAVEN'T taken before. Raising your GPA simply follows as a consequence of that.

Would it be better to take not so relevant science classes for med school? There are only so many classes I can take to raise the sGPA to a 3.0 without repeating the same courses at the school I am trying to do a DIY Post Bacc at.