DIY Post Bacc Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

misshopeful20

Reaction score
I plan to do a DIY post bacc starting this summer but was not sure if I should retake the classes I got a C or C+ in. Unfortunately, most of the science classes I took I got a C/C+ in. I've been told by premed advisors that I should retake all the courses I have gotten any sort of C in. I have also been told by medical students to only retake the courses I got a C- in, then from there take new upper division biology classes. My overall goal is to increase my sGPA to a 3.0.

Members don't see this ad.

Do not retake classes unless it's BELOW the minimum required grade (which I think is a C-?). You're EXPECTED to get an A in your retakes, so not only will it not impress any adcoms, it can also be a neutral at best, despite your efforts. Your goal is not to bump up your GPA, but to demonstrate the ability to consistently achieve high grades (3.7+) in science classes you HAVEN'T taken before. Raising your GPA simply follows as a consequence of that.

Reactions: 1 users
Do not retake classes unless it's BELOW the minimum required grade (which I think is a C-?). You're EXPECTED to get an A in your retakes, so not only will it not impress any adcoms, it can also be a neutral at best, despite your efforts. Your goal is not to bump up your GPA, but to demonstrate the ability to consistently achieve high grades (3.7+) in science classes you HAVEN'T taken before. Raising your GPA simply follows as a consequence of that.

Would it be better to take not so relevant science classes for med school? There are only so many classes I can take to raise the sGPA to a 3.0 without repeating the same courses at the school I am trying to do a DIY Post Bacc at.