• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

misshopeful20

Apr 27, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I plan to do a DIY post bacc starting this summer but was not sure if I should retake the classes I got a C or C+ in. Unfortunately, most of the science classes I took I got a C/C+ in. I've been told by premed advisors that I should retake all the courses I have gotten any sort of C in. I have also been told by medical students to only retake the courses I got a C- in, then from there take new upper division biology classes. My overall goal is to increase my sGPA to a 3.0.

DoctoOcto

2+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Do not retake classes unless it's BELOW the minimum required grade (which I think is a C-?). You're EXPECTED to get an A in your retakes, so not only will it not impress any adcoms, it can also be a neutral at best, despite your efforts. Your goal is not to bump up your GPA, but to demonstrate the ability to consistently achieve high grades (3.7+) in science classes you HAVEN'T taken before. Raising your GPA simply follows as a consequence of that.

Reactions: 1 users

misshopeful20

Apr 27, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Do not retake classes unless it's BELOW the minimum required grade (which I think is a C-?). You're EXPECTED to get an A in your retakes, so not only will it not impress any adcoms, it can also be a neutral at best, despite your efforts. Your goal is not to bump up your GPA, but to demonstrate the ability to consistently achieve high grades (3.7+) in science classes you HAVEN'T taken before. Raising your GPA simply follows as a consequence of that.

Would it be better to take not so relevant science classes for med school? There are only so many classes I can take to raise the sGPA to a 3.0 without repeating the same courses at the school I am trying to do a DIY Post Bacc at.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.