DIY Post-bacc Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

projectpremed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey! I have a quick question about my DIY post bacc. I decided to do a DIY post-bacc this year and does this factor into my undergrad GPA or is it viewed separately like a master. I keep finding different answers so I thought I would post on here! Also, I am looking at what classes to take next semester, and does it matter what level the class is as long as its upper level? For example, there is a neurobiology class that I really want to take, but it's a 500 level class which is technically a graduate-level class. It is taught at the medical school and by the medical school professors, but I am just worried if it will be looked at differently because of the level. I have been told by some people on here that graduate-level credit won't look as good in my DIY post bacc so I am just a bit confused. Thank you guys for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, DIY postbac credits factors into your undergraduate GPA. I graduated college with a 2.7 and did a DIY postbac until I was above a 3.0. This was verified and approved by AMCAS.

Reactions: 1 users
If your classes are not classified as undergraduate on your transcript, then they will not count towards your undergraduate cGPA and sGPA. They will instead show as a separate graduate GPA.

I highly recommend you take 300 and 400 level classes instead if you’re looking to increase your GPA.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey! I have a quick question about my DIY post bacc. I decided to do a DIY post-bacc this year and does this factor into my undergrad GPA or is it viewed separately like a master. I keep finding different answers so I thought I would post on here! Also, I am looking at what classes to take next semester, and does it matter what level the class is as long as its upper level? For example, there is a neurobiology class that I really want to take, but it's a 500 level class which is technically a graduate-level class. It is taught at the medical school and by the medical school professors, but I am just worried if it will be looked at differently because of the level. I have been told by some people on here that graduate-level credit won't look as good in my DIY post bacc so I am just a bit confused. Thank you guys for your help!
DIY poast-baccs are generally undergrad courses that get factored into your undergrad GPA. at the same time, they can also be viewed separately as schools break down your GPA's by school and by year.

you'll have to talk to someone in the registrar from your school, but at my undergrad when i took a graduate level class it still counted as an undergrad course for me - basically you had to be registered as a graduate student for the class to count for graduate credit.

Reactions: 1 user
If you take a grad course as a non-degree, it'll go into your post-bacc gpa, not graduate
that said, if you can take upper level undergrad, that would be better in terms of costs as non-matriculated graduate tuition is more expensive than undergrad non-degree tuition

If you take a grad course as a non-degree, it'll go into your post-bacc gpa, not graduate
that said, if you can take upper level undergrad, that would be better in terms of costs as non-matriculated graduate tuition is more expensive than undergrad non-degree tuition
Thank you! The school I am attending charges graduate tuition to anyone that is a non-degree seeking student and already has a bachelor's degree. It's such a weird policy. So the graduate-level classes vs undergraduate level classes is more about how it will look vs how much it will cost because it all costs the same! Thank you again!

AACOMAS does it differently. Once you graduate it goes into cGPA and pbGPA

The correct answer is each of your years of college from any actual college classes taken in high school thru freshman, sophomore, junior, senior and post bacc with all be separate GPA lines and then overall GPA will be counted as sample below. This is how medical schools will see it on your application

View attachment 321658
Thank you so much! This will let me take more classes that I am interested in because there aren't too many undergrad classes left for me to take!