Wondering if I should do a DIY post-bacc ...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

parksandrec

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I wanted help deciding if doing a DIY post-bacc would be the best option for me.

I graduated from a community college with a 3.9 in 2020. I then transferred to a 4-year and graduated with a 3.6 in August 2022 as a Biology major. My community college didn’t have any pre-med advisors/pre-med clubs, so I didn’t even learn about pursuing any ECs until I graduated. It wasn’t until I transferred to my 4-year that I learned I would need clinical experience, shadowing, volunteering, and research if I wanted to get serious about getting into medical school. My only EC has been working as a patient observer for a year and a half. Since graduating, I’ve studied and taken the MCAT (got a 500). Now, I’ve been looking to leave my clerical office job for something with more patient experience as well as looking for volunteering opportunities.

There are two main reasons why I’m thinking about possibly doing a DIY post bacc. First, to fix my downward-trend GPA. It looks bad how my GPA went down after I transferred to a 4-year from a CC. And regretfully, I did get Cs in Orgo 2 and Physics 2 in my final semester. Secondly, I have NO research experience at all. I’ve been looking for post-bacc research programs and have been cold emailing PIs with no success. I think I’ll have more success finding research opportunities if I was a current student and working on getting more recommendations from professors. Do you think I should do a DIY post bacc?

Thank you so much in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming your cumulative GPA and science GPA are in the 3.7 range, your GPA is not a good reason for a post-bacc. Neither is the downward trend, as it can was likely caused by your move from a CC to a more rigorous and competitive 4-year college (and ad coms will understand that). Moreover, it would be difficult to move the GPA needle substantially without taking a lot of additional courses. Your MCAT on the other hand is an obstacle for you right now, and I would make sure that the second time you take the MCAT, you are as prepared as you can possibly be. With respect to your ECs, you can build your hours without attending enrolling in additional courses. And, your lack of research is not going to tank your application, as long as you are not shooting for elite research institutions (which are likely not within your grasp).

Reactions: 3 users
With a 500 MCAT you could receive interviews at some DO schools. However, before you apply you need to accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing (including DO and primary care), and 200 hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact. You do not need a post bacc since your weakness is your MCAT and lack of clinical exposure hours,

Reactions: 1 users
With a 500 MCAT you could receive interviews at some DO schools. However, before you apply you need to accumulate 50 hours of in person physician shadowing (including DO and primary care), and 200 hours of clinical volunteering with patient contact. You do not need a post bacc since your weakness is your MCAT and lack of clinical exposure hours,
Agree with the wise Faha.

Reactions: 1 user
Your MCAT on the other hand is an obstacle for you right now, and I would make sure that the second time you take the MCAT, you are as prepared as you can possibly be. With respect to your ECs, you can build your hours without attending enrolling in additional courses. And, your lack of research is not going to tank your application, as long as you are not shooting for elite research institutions (which are likely not within your grasp).
Thank you so much for the reply. I'm confident I'll do much better the second time, I looked back, and I'm going to fix the mistakes I learned from the first time.

As for research, I'll try my best to continue to reach out for volunteer research positions at my former institution.

I will definitely start searching for shadowing opportunities and clinical volunteering. Thank you!