DIY Post-bacc, what course to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Syncs

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a simple question to ask that I am sure has been asked before, but I cannot seem to find a satisfactory answer myself.

When doing a DIY post-bacc, is it better to focus on a variety of high-level topics or go in-depth in a single field that I know I am interested in?

For my personal example, I have an interest in neuroscience and have had success in a high level course in the past. I am interested in taking another one in a different aspect of the field, but I am worried that I should choose a different course to prove that I am capable of performing across multiple disciplines. I do not want to look like a one-trick pony!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

EDIT: Not sure if it matters, but I do already have a suite of other high-level biology courses under my belt, including Biopsychology, Neuropharmacology, Cell Bio, Insect Biology (as an elective), and genetics.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello all,

I have a simple question to ask that I am sure has been asked before, but I cannot seem to find a satisfactory answer myself.

When doing a DIY post-bacc, is it better to focus on a variety of high-level topics or go in-depth in a single field that I know I am interested in?

For my personal example, I have an interest in neuroscience and have had success in a high level course in the past. I am interested in taking another one in a different aspect of the field, but I am worried that I should choose a different course to prove that I am capable of performing across multiple disciplines. I do not want to look like a one-trick pony!

Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
I would probably try to do multiple topics to show your versatile. I'm guessing if you did for example molecular genetics, a microbio, and an ecology course that would show you can handle upper level courses that are different from each other

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Search for Goro’s Guide for Premeds Who Need Reinvention. Goro gives a pretty good list of classes to consider

I would probably try to do multiple topics to show your versatile. I'm guessing if you did for example molecular genetics, a microbio, and an ecology course that would show you can handle upper level courses that are different from each other
Thank you!