DIY Post-bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemengineer123

Reaction score
Hello, I will be graduating with a chemical engineering degree in a few weeks. My sGPA and cGPA are both around 3.0. I have 4 years of research with a publication during my undergraduate career with leadership experience in my extra curriculars.

I have taken all the minimum pre-med requirements (bio 2 with lab, gen chem 1/2, ochem 1/2, biochem, physics 1/2 etc.) except for bio 1 with lab. I have earned a C- in gen chem 1 so I am planning to retake that course.

I am reaching out for advice regarding a post-bacc program to get my gpa higher. I was hoping to be able to take bio 1 and retake gen chem 1 at a community college near me because it is financially feasible for me compared to official master's programs, especially after going out of state for undergrad. I was planning to take other sciences courses that would strengthen my gpa (anatomy, etc) but I am concerned that taking these courses at a community college would look bad.

I have volunteer hours at a hospital and MD shadow hours, although gaining more experience is a priority of mine.

Is there a thread that discusses DIY post-bacc's more in depth? Any guidance would be appreciated. I understand I have a lot of work to put in. Can someone give me a range of when I would be considered a qualified candidate to apply? Is there anything else I can do?

Members don't see this ad.

Don't retake courses. You're expected to get an A, and anything below it is going to hurt you, so retaking courses can at best be neutral. You should be taking upper level science courses, so things like Genetics, Immunology, Anatomy/Physiology, Neuroscience, etc.

I think the general advice here is to show consistent 3.7+ performance in ~30 semester units, i.e. a full year courseload (but don't quote me on that).

Goro has a very helpful outline written up here: Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Don't retake courses. You're expected to get an A, and anything below it is going to hurt you, so retaking courses can at best be neutral. You should be taking upper level science courses, so things like Genetics, Immunology, Anatomy/Physiology, Neuroscience, etc.

I think the general advice here is to show consistent 3.7+ performance in ~30 semester units, i.e. a full year courseload (but don't quote me on that).

Goro has a very helpful outline written up here: Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention
Can the 30 semester units be broken up into longer than 1 year for the DIY post bacc?

Can the 30 semester units be broken up into longer than 1 year for the DIY post bacc?

I think Goro said adcoms would like to see at least 2 courses per semester. So I'd try to keep your coursework at that, unless you have to work full-time.

Reactions: 1 user