DIY Postbacc and Classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Opto2MD

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Retake courses to get into the 3.3/3.4 range. I wouldn't take a Master's simply to get to know professors. Do that while you retake. Don't worry about calculus, you don't need it for D.O. -- M.D. is not an option with your stats. If you're stuck on doing a Masters, look into an SMP, but without an MCAT score yet, that's not really an advisable path.

if you are 100% sure you can get As in your math retake, do it
otherwise, dont bother

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd probably just retake the science classes and no math classes - math isn't calculated into into sgpa for DO schools. Not too sure if MD is an option anymore unless you wreck the mcat, ace your upper div courses and have solid extra curriculars. You should try to become friendly with the professors who are teaching the courses you're retaking. As the dude above me said, do your mcat first before you consider a masters or smp program

I'd probably just retake the science classes and no math classes - math isn't calculated into into sgpa for DO schools. Not too sure if MD is an option anymore unless you wreck the mcat, ace your upper div courses and have solid extra curriculars. You should try to become friendly with the professors who are teaching the courses you're retaking. As the dude above me said, do your mcat first before you consider a masters or smp program

Math isn't calculated in for BCMP for DOs? I pretty sure it is for MD programs. That seems odd.

Last edited:
Also, I am also thinking of doing a Master's after my postbacc, mainly because I don't have any solid relationships with professors, and I have ZERO research experience (I'm not particularly interested in research so I wouldn't complete thesis based, but I think that research experience is valuable).

I did a DIY post-bac and got a grad school degree, so I recently wrote a couple lengthy posts adressing these exact questions (feel free to do a search). The short version is: unless you are very wealthy and want to commit an extra 1-2 years to the pre-med process, do not pursue a master's unless you are genuinely interested in applying that degree in your future MD/DO career. A lot of kids in my fancy grad program took out six-figures of debt hoping that the degree would be their ticket into med school-- they ended up very disappointed. Alternatively, if you do a SMP, I'd suggest pursuing one that you can eventually use in the off-chance that you don't get into med school (or if you decide not to be a doctor).

If you're short on time and money, stick with the post-bac. If you can, try building a stronger rapport with your professors through your DIY post-bac. Research is something you can do part-time throughout the school year (if you're in school part time) or during your school breaks through your DIY post-bac profs and/or their connections. No need to do a master's "capstone" if you hate research (a lot of schools who don't require a thesis make you do some sort of mini-research project that looks a whole lot like a thesis, anyway) or spend years doing research if you don't like it. Better to have a strong GPA and MCAT.

I figured so with the math portion. Then I'll just retake the science classes, see where I am at the end of the semester, then go from there. As far as the MCAT, I want to take it in December or Spring, preferably after I've taken the additional courses so that I have ample time to study.

For EC's, I don't feel that I'm particularly strong:
55 hours shadowing an optometrist.
20 hrs Shadowing 3 ophthalmologists, will be shadowing internist this summer
1 year (100+ hrs) as an event/activities board member/volunteer
1 year (300+ hrs) as an event/activities board director - in charge of members and volunteers
Founding member/VP Pre-optometry club
2.5 years as an optometric tech
50 volunteer/intern hours teaching science labs to 1st graders
Worked 2 jobs (25-40hrs/wk) throughout my entire collegiate career
Currently volunteering with Children's ministry at my church
Spent the summer after graduation traveling through Europe
This probably doesn't count, but...i applied to optometry school and got in, and turned down all my offers..

...and im a URM, if that counts.

According to the AAMC 2013-2014 and 2014-2015 acceptance grid, a URM with a 3.42 GPA (3.4-3.59 category) and a 30-32 on their MCAT had an 81% chance of being accepted. That same 3.4-3.59 GPA applicant had a 67.7% acceptance if they had a MCAT score between 27 and 29. So if I had to focus on one thing, it'd be getting a killer MCAT score. The calc retake is up to you.

Good luck. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user