DIY postbacc, formal postbacc, or SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jole89

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Graduated 2018 with B.S biological sciences with 3.14 cgpa, amcas sgpa 2.79, and aacom sgpa 2.88. First two years was in the 2.4-2.8 cgpa range no Ds or Fs but multiple Cs, third and fourth year got As and Bs mostly upper div bio courses. MCAT 489->500

Didn't really know much of the application process but I applied anyway a year post graduation. Didn't get in obviously. I thought about pursuing something else but the more I researched I learned about postbaccs and SMPs so I decided I should really try hard to improve my app and will try again when I feel ready. I had solid ECs during undergrad and have been scribing/ nonmed volunteering for a year now.

I've had multiple sources recommend going for the SMP they said it is high risk but also high reward. . However, I've seen some posts saying that with an undergrad gpa below 3.0 most schools will screen me out regardless of the SMP gpa. Not really sure if the they screen for min 3.0 sgpa or cgpa?

Should I instead be looking at a postbacc to try and improve that undergrad sgpa? Assuming straight As, about how many units would I need to get it above 3.0.

My undergrad upper div classes included cell bio, human physio, developmental bio, eco evo, applied human anatomy, immuno w/ hematology. All with As and B+. I've looked at courses at my CC and the only upper div level classes they offer are microbiology and cellular & molecular bio.

Also, how important is the MCAT for SMPs? I've seen some posts saying to get a solid MCAT before the SMP.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

Many programs do have 3.0 cGPA and sGPA cutoffs. It would likely be beneficial to take some postbac classes to get your sGPA above that threshold. Start by retaking prerequisites that you received below a C+ in (since C+ is the minimum for prereqs). This likely would not be more than 2-4 semesters of part-time course work.

Some SMPs require an MCAT score. The rationale is that you won't have time to study for the MCAT during your SMP and would likely need to take an additional gap year to prepare for the exam and then apply to medical school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Many programs do have 3.0 cGPA and sGPA cutoffs. It would likely be beneficial to take some postbac classes to get your sGPA above that threshold. Start by retaking prerequisites that you received below a C+ in (since C+ is the minimum for prereqs). This likely would not be more than 2-4 semesters of part-time course work.

Some SMPs require an MCAT score. The rationale is that you won't have time to study for the MCAT during your SMP and would likely need to take an additional gap year to prepare for the exam and then apply to medical school.

Are those cutoffs for DO programs as well?

I retook 3 of those prereqs while still in undergrad. The only ones below a C+ would be the first 2 quarters of gen chem and one quarter of calculus. My CC also offers a 3 unit Biology of Viruses course, would this be a good idea?

Last edited: