DIY postbacc or SMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tropicalstudent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone

My situation right now is that I work at an university and I can pretty much take any class or enroll in a degree program for a very low cost and I wanted to ask if I should do an SMP they offer at my school or just DIY Post bacc to raise my BCPM Gpa before applying to med school?

Also, which classes do you recommend taking before applying to med school for MCAT and for actual medical school courses?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone

My situation right now is that I work at an university and I can pretty much take any class or enroll in a degree program for a very low cost and I wanted to ask if I should do an SMP they offer at my school or just DIY Post bacc to raise my BCPM Gpa before applying to med school?

Also, which classes do you recommend taking before applying to med school for MCAT and for actual medical school courses?

What are you current stats? And are you Pre-Medical or Pre-Poditary (In your profile)?

What are you current stats? And are you Pre-Medical or Pre-Poditary (In your profile)?

Current Stats are
3.4 GPA and 3.2 BCPM
No Mcat yet currently studying for it.
Pharmacy School GPA 3.2
Currently Clinical Research Assistant with a lot of expousure to pretty much all inpatient specialties. I did have pharmacy rotations in hospital, independent and retail which gave me a good expousure to healthcare from the pharmacy side.

Ideally I would prefer to be in an MD/DO due to the breadth of possibilities and the more stable income after residency. However, Podiatry is one of my top choices because of its great mix of inpatient/surgery/outpatient mix. However, I do have geographic limitations which by necessity make me have to cast a wide net for MD, DO and Podiatry Programs for me to be able to practice medicine as a physician.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello Everyone

Read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Current Stats are
3.4 GPA and 3.2 BCPM
No Mcat yet currently studying for it.
Pharmacy School GPA 3.2
Currently Clinical Research Assistant with a lot of expousure to pretty much all inpatient specialties. I did have pharmacy rotations in hospital, independent and retail which gave me a good expousure to healthcare from the pharmacy side.

Ideally I would prefer to be in an MD/DO due to the breadth of possibilities and the more stable income after residency. However, Podiatry is one of my top choices because of its great mix of inpatient/surgery/outpatient mix. However, I do have geographic limitations which by necessity make me have to cast a wide net for MD, DO and Podiatry Programs for me to be able to practice medicine as a physician.

You are competitive for many DO schools and maybe some state MD schools depending on your MCAT score. For an example, ACOM's average matriculate stats were 3.3/3.4/501. I would focus all your energy into your MCAT, I really don't think you would need a SMP. SMPs are high risk and high reward, if you don't perform well you can significantly reduce your chance of gaining acceptance into medical schools all together. I would choose the DIY-post bacc + MCAT prep route.

Aren't SMPs full-time? I assume, as with every other job I've had, that you would have to continue to be employed in order to get the benefits of the reduced tuition. I don't think it would be feasible for you to continue working and doing an SMP full-time.

You probably have all the requirements for med school. Buy the MSAR and take a look at what other classes you might need. It seems to me the best option for you would be to take a few upper level science courses to boost your GPA. You can easily take one or two classes at a time while you work.

As for the MCAT, I would recommend saving up your vacation days and then taking a week off prior to taking your test. That test is a major mind[4-letter-word] and even if your job is very easy you still should get rid of as many distractions as possible immediately prior to the test.