aforgottenshirt

10+ Year Member
Oct 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
Hello! I'm thinking of doing a dual DMD/MBA at Temple. Anyone have any thoughts? Opinions from those who have done it/are doing it are especially encouraged :)

Heretotalk

10+ Year Member
May 5, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Hi, I am a current Temple D1 student. My suggestion DON"T DO IT. DON'T DO IT.

1. A BIG WASTE OF TIME
2. COURSES ARE AT OTHER LOCATION
3. COURSE ARE DURING NIGHT
4. PHILLY IS A DANGEROUS PLACE
5. NO REAL BENEFIT IN FUTURE
6. JUST DON'T DO IT MAN..

No one in this year's D1 is doing it. My buddies in D2 told me no one is doing it in their year. 3rd and 4th didn't have the option. This DMD/MBA thing is new being pushed by the new dean. Also, you will be in school 8 hours a day, do you really want to go another 2 hours everynight? Also, the lab portion of temple's curriculum will wear you out everytime. Try to be nice to yourself and use that time to better purposes

Dec 20, 2009
Status

1. A BIG WASTE OF TIME

No one in this year's D1 is doing it. My buddies in D2 told me no one is doing it in their year. 3rd and 4th didn't have the option. This DMD/MBA thing is new being pushed by the new dean. Also, you will be in school 8 hours a day, do you really want to go another 2 hours everynight? Also, the lab portion of temple's curriculum will wear you out everytime. Try to be nice to yourself and use that time to better purposes
I could see the value of an MBA from a top 20 business school, but an MBA from a no-name school, like Temple, sounds like extra work that won't really pay off. There has to be a reason why it is free . . .

Tommy43087

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2009
Cali
Status
Dentist
I could see the value of an MBA from a top 20 business school, but an MBA from a no-name school, like Temple, sounds like extra work that won't really pay off. There has to be a reason why it is free . . .
Who said its free?

And why do u keep bashing on Temple in every thread? Didn't get accepted huh?

-Lame

Simiam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
Philly
Status
Dental Student
Who said its free?

And why do u keep bashing on Temple in every thread? Didn't get accepted huh?

-Lame
^ Agreed.

The tuition for business school is waived since you are attending the Dental School. So it isn't necessarily free since you are paying tuition for D school.

Simiam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
Philly
Status
Dental Student

1. A BIG WASTE OF TIME

We have 1 person doing it. Won't say his name here for anonymity. Unless he changed his mind since December, I'm pretty sure he was registered.

Dec 20, 2009
Status
^ Agreed.

The tuition for business school is waived since you are attending the Dental School. So it isn't necessarily free since you are paying tuition for D school.
Since you do not pay anything in addition to what you already pay for dental school, it is by definition "free."

Obviously, Temple and USC students scored poorly on the QR section of the DAT. As for Simian, all I can say is that he/she obviously has all the time in the world to post on this board, which speaks volumes as to the type of students that Temple selects (not very academically inclined).

SMCohen

10+ Year Member
Jul 16, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I have a business degree, and can tell you that a business education will definitely be helpful in running your future dental practice. The problem with MBA, is that it really focuses on corporate business and not small business. If you are interested in a business education, I would suggest seeing if there are non-degree courses you could take at the business school, especially if they have ones focused on small businesses... but then again, the MBA is free!

May 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
if you want an MBA, just get it from a real school later on. Curious what you'd do w/ the MBA either way. Unless you wanna go corporate some day, it might not really help out, but if you do happen to do one, and take a lot of finance classes, you may become much more investment savvy by having the ability to analyze stocks and investments for your future. Then again, you could just take a stock valuation class, it doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

Simiam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
Philly
Status
Dental Student
Since you do not pay anything in addition to what you already pay for dental school, it is by definition "free."

Obviously, Temple and USC students scored poorly on the QR section of the DAT. As for Simian, all I can say is that he/she obviously has all the time in the world to post on this board, which speaks volumes as to the type of students that Temple selects (not very academically inclined).
:laugh::laugh: You hate me so much! It's kind of funny.

Please, please, please drop your application to Temple. I believe everyone that has read anything you have written would agree that you are simply too good for Temple. You should go to HARvard, so that you may look down upon us all from your imaginary pedestal of superior intellect. Congratulations, you are awesome and I am jealous and snooty. :love:

OxfordM3

5+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2009
Status
Dentist

I have never seen anyone troll a school so hard. :laugh: Instead of wasting time and trolling on here, put that effort into improving your application and applying again.