DMD/MD Dual Degree Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psupredental

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which schools have the DMD/DDS + MD dual degree oral surgery program?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Which schools have the DMD/DDS + MD dual degree oral surgery program?

Thanks!

I'm curious to why you would want both degrees?

Do you want to serve in a rural area where there are not many doctors nor dentist?

Do you want to do Oral surgery?

Cause that's a lot of time and money spent if it's for sh*ts and giggles

Members don't see this ad :)
I think he might be looking for which dental schools also offer 6-year MD oral surgery residency programs.

Case western reserve has Dentist + MD

Nova has Dentist + DO

i actually called case last week and they told me they got rid of their dual degree program indefinitely. so there's just nova left

yea, they didn't give an explanation for why or anything.

I can only imagine that i was too difficult to get into (it required DAT and MCAT to be taken). Most of us throw fits about 1 of those, imagine excelling at both lol

I don't understand people's responses to this question? Almost half of the oral surgery specialty programs offer 6 year programs that give a MD degree in addition to the surgery specialty.

Yeah. Thats for OMS residencies.

I think OP wants to do a medical degree and dental degree right after undergrad.

I don't understand people's responses to this question? Almost half of the oral surgery specialty programs offer 6 year programs that give a MD degree in addition to the surgery specialty.

pretty sure OP thinks there are combined dental school plus residency programs for oral surgery, which there are not.

OP: for all oral surgery programs, you have to first graduate dental school* with a DDS (or the equivalent DMD). then (well, your senior year) you apply separately to oral surgery programs that may be 4 years (oral surgery certificate) or 6 years (MD+oral surgery certificate) in length. the latter are "dual degree" in the sense that you'll have both a DDS/DMD and an MD by the end of it all, but not in the sense that it's one united program with one application for the entire 10 year span from DDS through residency.

*exception: some oral surgery residencies accept MD graduates who haven't yet gone to dental school...Harvard comes to mind.

OP: for all oral surgery programs, you have to first graduate dental school* with a DDS (or the equivalent DMD). then (well, your senior year) you apply separately to oral surgery programs that may be 4 years (oral surgery certificate) or 6 years (MD+oral surgery certificate) in length. the latter are "dual degree" in the sense that you'll have both a DDS/DMD and an MD by the end of it all, but not in the sense that it's one united program with one application for the entire 10 year span from DDS through residency.

Yes. This is exactly what I was thinking. So what schools have the 6 year dual degree program? Besides Nova.