DMD/MD program?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OREGONPREMED1991

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out getting a DMD/MD is possible. I have always had a passion for dentistry/oral surgery and medicine. Im currently classified as a "pre med" student. If I want to pursue a dual degree of DMD/MD do I need to switch to pre dental and plan on taking the DAT? And what about OMFS?

Im completely clueless.

Members don't see this ad.

The pre-reqs for dental school and medical school are generally the same so you really don't need to switch anything course wise. You would then take the DAT, apply, and attend dental school for 4 years. Near the end of dental school you would apply to OMFS programs. There are two types of programs, the 4-year and the 6-year.

The 4-year programs grant a certificate while the 6 year programs grant you the certificate+MD but otherwise scope of practice is the same. The 6-year route obviously takes longer and you attend a portion of medical school during that time (also may pay tuition for med school depending on the program).

I just found out getting a DMD/MD is possible. I have always had a passion for dentistry/oral surgery and medicine. Im currently classified as a "pre med" student. If I want to pursue a dual degree of DMD/MD do I need to switch to pre dental and plan on taking the DAT? And what about OMFS?

Im completely clueless.

Reactions: 1 user
i believe nova offers you a dmd and DO. 6 year program, something along those lines.

Members don't see this ad :)
a DMD/MD is only worth it if you do OMFS. you attend dental school and do a 6 year residency... which includes a little bit of the didactics of medical school (and you do med school rotations, get anesthesia training, etc.).

aside from a 6 year OMFS program....there's really no point in doing a combined md/dmd (dds) program. it's probably just a money making scam

Reactions: 2 users
so what exactly is the purpose of this program? You can't really practice medicine without a residency in a med speciality in which case the dental component of your degree would be pointless. Does it greatly enhance your chances of getting into OMFS programs? Do you get to save time if you do a 6 year residency and get to finish it sooner?

Reactions: 1 users
I believe it's meant for those who want to practice in rural / underserved areas - you'd be able to practice general dentistry and probably family medicine with certification and the DMD/MD combination. I don't think it's meant for people who want to specialize or work specifically in one field over the other.

it could also be worth it if you go somewhere really remote. It could be useful to have both degrees and be able to treat all issues (at least in a primary way) your patients are having, when there aren't any other clinicians in teh vicinity. I think that's kinda cool.

there's a reason why barely any of these programs exist. i'm telling you, they're just $$ makers

there's a reason why barely any of these programs exist. i'm telling you, they're just $$ makers

It's more about the logistics of the program than the money. These programs were designed for someone who would want to do family medicine and general dentistry in an underserved region, which is pretty cool in ideal, but it would take a lot of work on the student to accomplish.

After finishing the program, you would be able to practice general dentistry, but you would then have to do a 2-3 year family medicine/internal medicine residency. During this time, they need to keep their dentistry skills up, so probably moonlighting as a general dentist. With the hours put into the residency, you'll probably be too tired to do anything afterwards. Also, your program director would probably not take it too kindly that you are moonlighting. So, most likely you'll be 2-3 years out of dentistry when you are out to practice, so your hand skills wouldn't be up to par anymore.

Not saying it can't be done, it would just seem like a lot of work.