DMD/MD programs???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JEW UNIT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody...I just found out that CASE university has a DMD/MD program...I was wondering what are other schools that offer that program?? Is Case the only dental school that gives that program?? How does the DMD/MD program work?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everybody...I just found out that CASE university have a DMD/MD program...I was wondering what are other schools that offer that program?? Is Case the only dental school that gives that program?? How does the DMD/MD program work?

I'm not sure, but a forum search of dual degree should bring some results.

Members don't see this ad :)
This program is intended for those that wish to practice in rural areas as the sole health care provider. To qualify for Case's program you must have a pretty decent MCAT score, taking the DAT is optional. You are admitted through the School of Medicine. This route is not intended for those who are looking to go into OMFS or really exclusively practice dentistry or medicine. If you are into living in a rural area and providing dental and medical care it would be a great program. I looked into it myself but ultimately decided against it because I didn't want to study and take the MCAT as well as the DAT, I didn't want to live in the Appalachian Mountains the rest of my life and I felt like if I was trying to learn the art of dentistry and complete medical school at the same time I would not end up being very good at either. Very cool program and if I were to apply again today I may think more about it, but since I start at UCLA in a couple of weeks I think I'll stay on the course I am on :).

This program is intended for those that wish to practice in rural areas as the sole health care provider. To qualify for Case's program you must have a pretty decent MCAT score, taking the DAT is optional. You are admitted through the School of Medicine. This route is not intended for those who are looking to go into OMFS or really exclusively practice dentistry or medicine. If you are into living in a rural area and providing dental and medical care it would be a great program. I looked into it myself but ultimately decided against it because I didn't want to study and take the MCAT as well as the DAT, I didn't want to live in the Appalachian Mountains the rest of my life and I felt like if I was trying to learn the art of dentistry and complete medical school at the same time I would not end up being very good at either. Very cool program and if I were to apply again today I may think more about it, but since I start at UCLA in a couple of weeks I think I'll stay on the course I am on :).

I've been interested in both fields (I have reasons why), but ultimately I needed to choose between the two...I don't mind staying an extra year or two in school if I get to practice in pediatrician. Since I heard of the possibility of getting both, I'm applying to those schools first and the rest as a second choice type of thing.

just remember that you do not get the full right of a physician after the 5 year program. So if you are thinking about becoming a doctor who can see patients and prescribe drugs, you'll have to do residency after. And I believe thats couple more years extra.

And to get a good residency, you must do well in your USMLE. To do well in USMLE, you must study like hell. But given that it is a dual program of DMD and MD, I don't know how well you will be prepared for the test in comparison to other pure med students.

But I do not know the extent of overlap btw DMD program and MD program. If there is a significant overlap, perhaps you may do well.

Personally, MD without the full right of a physician doesn't mean much to me.
But you may want different things, so if thats what you want, go for it.

I am not sure about this point so look into it: Case med and dent students share the same first year. But I think case requires you to take the MCAT if you want to enroll in the dual degree program.

Oh okay...Wow. Alright...I looked at NOVA's curriculum and it looks intense. I guess I'll apply to NOVA and if I get accepted, then I'll go there as my first choice. Thanx for the information. It helped a lot. Are those two my only choices?