DMU - '05 (part 2) = all DMU topics here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kidterrific

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think that the first thread should be broken up into this one, because it's just too damn long! Also, my broswer ends up with a side scroll bar because it's so long, and I don't like that! But I think there needs to be a new DMU thread that consolidates all the other ones (since there's so many topics about).

Welcome, my brothers!

Members don't see this ad.

Just a quick post to add myself to the DMU '05 club!

Sorry, no witty or profound signature or quote! :)

What up?! :cool:

It's all good, I agree the other thread seems to be getting a bit too long... ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by t-bone:
•Just a quick post to add myself to the DMU '05 club!

Sorry, no witty or profound signature or quote! :)

Welcome to the club, and I look forward to meeting you during orientation :D

which is only < 21dayzzz left :cool:!!!!

Any who, I notice your thread on commuting.... I guess you're a seasoned veteran when it comes to commuting. I'm sure you won't have problems....

I've heard from someone else that commute can definite take time away from you specially during those winter months.... So please take care :)

I wonder how many of my fellow '05ers are married?

I heard during my interview that many DMU students are married or with significant others.... Any thoughts anyone?

When I interviewed, most of the folks there (I'd say a good 60%) were married. The actual number might be more or less, but that was just my observation. I'm not sure how many have kids also. I'm not sure if there are actual stats posted anywhere.

Well, t-bone... That makes at least two of us that are married.

The only difference is that I don't have any kids yet :)

I actually had the same feeling about those rough stats you've stated during my interview. Of the students that showed us around was actually married and said about the same thing as you did....

You're probably right, there is probably no stats around regarding the matter but is sure would be interesting to know :D

I see you're on line at the same time as I am :)

Yep, I'm killing some time before I go to work (charge nurse at a nursing home)--that is until August! :D

I've read quite a few of the posts, but never got on until today. I especially liked the thread about log-in names and how people came up with them.

•Yep, I'm killing some time before I go to work (charge nurse at a nursing home)--that is until August! :D

I've read quite a few of the posts, but never got on until today. I especially liked the thread about log-in names and how people came up with them.•

Speaking of which, why t-bone? If you don't mind me asking.... Do you like to eat steak? Just wondering.... You don't have to answer this, of course, if you don't want to....

As you can see, SDN, seems to kill most of my time before classes start... although, I have to say, I'm slowing down a bit nowadayzzz :)

I notice that there's a pretty good amount of very helpful DMU students on this website, so I'm glad you found it :D

Happy posting!!!

t-bone is the name of one of my pit-bulls. She's female, but my youngest child gave her the name, and it stuck!

:D

•t-bone is the name of one of my pit-bulls. She's female, but my youngest child gave her the name, and it stuck!

:D

That's sweet :)

There has been many posting in SDN regarding DMU regarding losing affiliations from a hospital, dog labs, etc.... I'm sure you won't have trouble finding them.... I guess these are issues we'd eventually have to face.

BTW, Congratulations on your acceptance to DMU.

Hey all! Las Vegas managed to combine many of the things that I despise in life into one glittering city... shopping, gambling, large crowds... Now one of Josh's least favorite city's! I mean no offense to those who like it... just not my cup of tea! I did enjoy the warm weather with NO humidity though! Anyways, I'll be back in DSM this Tuesday... for a couple more days.

JP, I'll get the notes tue or wednseday... don't sweat it... well, any more than normal that is. I saw the forcast today... HOT and HUMID. You and your wife can come camp out in my livingroom! :D

Kid T, When ya coming back brotha? I very much want to borrow that soprano's DVD set from ya.

T-Bone... welcome!

1 of 200, I will be in DSM by tuesday afternoon (7-16-01) and through the weekend, so just pick another time to meet and I will be there. Thank you.

I have decided not to do anything DMU (except surgery club) until school starts. These last few weeks are to prescious to waste! So, I shall travel and relax... still have South Carolina and California to go before school starts!

Later peeps, Josh

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone (Popoy, other DMU '05s) know when notes will be available? I'd like to get a jump on biochem., but heard the notes won't be available until registration or after :confused:

Welcome back Josh :D

•Anyone (Popoy, other DMU '05s) know when notes will be available? I'd like to get a jump on biochem., but heard the notes won't be available until registration or after :confused:

You know what, I actually have Josh's notes for Biochem.... Old but nice to take a look at.... Which I haven't yet.

I've only look at the Introduction to Osteopathic Medicine class note that, which doesn't seem to be much.... Although, that is our first weeks class.

I've asked the bookstore ladies and visited at the bookstore and there's really no set of notes out yet....

I still don't understand the notepool business, but they're suppose to help us. That is, some students will be selling their notes and old exam to us.... that's how I understand this.... That won't happen until during orientation....

Wish you were around here already.... I could share last years notes with you....

Actually, I contacted my 'big Sis' and she will be sending me some biochem notes to start with. But I think it would be nice to make a quick run to Des Moines and pick up the whole set--as well as make a deposit for my first month's rent. I'm a little nervous about biochem. The other classes, though difficult, I think I can manage. I'd just like to have a tiny head-start on biochem. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Here are some of the topic covered on Biochem for last year:

Section 1:
Introduction to Cellular Evironment
Structure of Water and & Behavior of Aqueous SOlutions, Bilogical Acids, Bses & Buffers
Structure of Proteins
Introduction to Enzymes
Enzymatic Control of Metabolic Pathways
Introduction to Biomemebranes
Boenergetics
Metabolic Principles

Section 2
Second Messengrs and Hormonal Regulation of Metabolism
Generation of Acetyl COA and Citric Acid Cycle
Mitochondrial Electron Transport & ATP Generation
Carbohydrate Metabolism
Lipid Metabolism

I'm not sure how much of that helps but there they are....

•Actually, I contacted my 'big Sis' and she will be sending me some biochem notes to start with. But I think it would be nice to make a quick run to Des Moines and pick up the whole set--as well as make a deposit for my first month's rent. I'm a little nervous about biochem. The other classes, though difficult, I think I can manage. I'd just like to have a tiny head-start on biochem. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.•

I'm there with you.... Despite the fact I was biochem major, it's been almost a year since I really tackled that stuff and the notes seem complicated as is....

So I'm there with you when you say you're nervous.... I'm nervous and paranoid as well.... Can't blaim us, right? WE all don't want to mess up....

Here's a suggestion.... You might want to read Norman Gevitz if you haven't yet....

I'll go visit Matthew's bookstore tomorrow to see what's up and if I find out about anything I'll let you know....

The books are out already for Anatomy, Biochemistry, and Histology.

Let me know if you'd like me to ask the bookstore ladies some specific questions and I'll ask them and post it up here....

If you're nervous as a biochem major, I'm very nervous as a music major! :rolleyes:

•If you're nervous as a biochem major, I'm very nervous as a music major! :rolleyes:

Yup, getting a bit rusty on those scientific facts....

WOW!!! You're a music major!!! That's pretty cool....

Am I the only one that didn't get there big bro letter?.... :(

Originally posted by Popoy:

I'm there with you.... Despite the fact I was biochem major, it's been almost a year since I really tackled that stuff and the notes seem complicated as is....

So I'm there with you when you say you're nervous.... I'm nervous and paranoid as well.... Can't blaim us, right? WE all don't want to mess up....•

Do not be nervous about Biochem. It is a very well taught class, and was probably the easiest class for most of my friends. The profs are excellent, and do a great job.

Do not waste your summer looking at biochem.

If you really, really wanted to look at something: Read Gevitz's book, the DOs.

If you have never had an anatomy class, get an anatomy coloring book and some colored pencils and knock yourself out.

I had an excellent course in anatomy in my nursing school, then another for my pre-med classes. It's still biochem that scares me. But, from what I've heard here and elsewhere, I shouldn't be too worried. Thanks for the encouragement.

21 days to go!

Thanks for the words of encouragement DDuncan.... :D

I posted a reply in the "commuting" thread. No one responed yet. (Maybe I'm the only one silly enough to be up this late!) :D

I try my question here instead: Any great places to eat in Des Moines? My husband and I will be in town this next week. I heard that Jimmy's (?) is a good place to eat. Any suggestions? I think next Thursday and Friday will be the days. Looking forward to meeting all fellow DMU 05s soon!

Nope you're not the only one up this late.... :D

What type of food are you both looking for?

Prime Rib and other 'meat and potatoes' stuff

OK, someone suggested "Rock Bottom Restaurant & Brewery" on 4508 University Avenue, West Des Moines but I've never been there.

My wife and I have gone to a couple of places, Jesse's Embers (on 3301 Ingersoll, Des Moines) which had an "open pit" and one in Court Ave that I can't seem to remember the name, but nothing that spectacular....

You can always go down Court Avenue... there are restaurant there....

Otherwise, I'm pretty dry on suggestions....

So, can anyone else suggest a restaurant for t-bone?

As I check out the Yellow Pages.... I saw this:

CHRISTOPER's
"The Best Prime Ribs, Steaks, Pasta, Seafood and Friendly Service"
2816 Beaver Avenue
Des Moines
(515)274-3694

Thanks! My brother suggested Christopher's or Jimmy's (I'm still not sure that's correct). If anyone is available next week (I'll post the dates and places later) let me know, and we'll buy you a beer--or whatever your drink of choice may be!

Thanks again for the suggestions! :)

Just in case, you haven't gotten Jimmy's American Cafe address here it is:

Jimmy's American Cafe
1238 8t St.
West Des Moines
(515)224-1212

That was the only "Jimmy's" on the Yellow Pages, so I figure that must be it.... :D

Yep, that's it! My bro tells me that they have all you can eat prime rib and shrimp!

Again, if any fellow DMU 05s want to meet us, we'll be coming down next week to check out the area and settle come business. Hope we can buy you a beer!

My last day of work as a nurse (though I'll keep my license for a while) is next Wed. I'll be ready for some steak and shrimp!

Thanks, Popoy! Look forward to seeing you and others in 20 days!

JOSH -

Great to have you back - did you get my email with the medicines on it? I'm going to call you tomorrow. I want to know about the guy who was assigned to me. He seems nice, but I want to know if he's one of the "Ten you don't get along with."

I was just in Vegas - stayed at the Venetian (did I spell that right?). I'm sure you had a blas with all those beautiful women there. I hardly gambled - I stayed at the pool!

Good to see you all doing okay. The Sopranos DVDs are yours to borrow - I'll be there Monday - who wants to go out for dinner?

TBONE - welcome to the group. Can't wait to meet you.

TBONE - Try Rock Bottom - the place rocks. Also, try Famous Dave's. It's a world class rib joint where you can go and watch them cook the ribs. Let me just say that they are NOT skimpy on the portions! You WILL BE STUFFED.

Looking forward to meeting you!

Thanks!

20 more days!

Again, I'll post something here on SDN on this thread when I know for sure when we'll be down next week--hope a few of you can join us for some steak and suds! (That is, if you don't mind being seen with people in their mid-30's!) :D

And thanks to all who have calmed my nerves about biochem!

Good night!

Don't go to Jimmy's. There are many better places.

Italian:
1. Cosi Cucina is my favorite. On 86th Street in Clive.

2. Buca di beppo, just off 50th street in West DM (on Westtown parkway)... yeah it is a chain, but darn good.

3. Tumea and Son's.... just south of Downtown, south of the Iowa Cubs baseball stadium. A family run place with great food.

Mexican:
1. El Rodeo in Urbandale, on Douglass avenue, about 75th st.... great tex mex, you need look no further. Every time I go there I see other DMU students!

2. El Rey buritos on Grand in West DM is great. You can get there and back for a quick lunch!

Chinese:
1. Cafe Su is the top, on 5th st in West DM (in the Valley Junction area).

2. For fast chinese that is CHEAP yet very good, try any of the TSING TSO (sp?) locations... we go to the one at 100th and Douglas, and it is great.

3. A lunch time favorite of many DMU students (and professors have been seen) is Number One China, on University ave (about 23rd or 24th)... Great lunch buffet, don't miss the General Tsao's Chicken! One of our classmates eats there 2+ times per week!

Other:
1. Mondo's on West town Pkwy in WDM is good. they have a variety of foods.
2. Christophers is good too.

There are many other places I like, but I will cut if off there.

--Derek

to anyone, has anyone out there tried DSM's two Thai resturaunts? Just curious.

T-bone: when are you going to be in DSM? Specifically. Are '04's allowed to meet you or are we out of the loop??? ;)

Kid T: I'll e-mail you later today aboutthat list when I get back to DSM.

Derick: Just realized who you were... how's life in the fast lane of Medicap?

I have 24 hours before my free AOL is up again.... This may be the last day I'll be posting :(

Anyway.... Till I get another connection.... If I don't.... I just want to say nice to meet everyone and I'll see you all during orientation.... :cool:

Originally posted by jsdmu:
•to anyone, has anyone out there tried DSM's two Thai resturaunts? Just curious.

T-bone: when are you going to be in DSM? Specifically. Are '04's allowed to meet you or are we out of the loop??? ;)

Kid T: I'll e-mail you later today aboutthat list when I get back to DSM.

Derick: Just realized who you were... how's life in the fast lane of Medicap?•

Thai palace on Ashworth in WDM is pretty good. Taste of Thailand on east grand is the only other i have been to. It was ok, as I remember, but that has been 5+ years ago.

Working at the medicap is going good so far, keeping me busy.

Okay.... update on the bookstore front.... All our books are there to buy already.... No notes.... although, someone is selling their old notes and old exams for only $75.... good deal

IT's SOOOOO HOTTTT!!!! 91 degrees right now....

I saw this clip in the USA TODAY:

Contortionist gets stuck at circus...
Circus workers thought a contortionist was joking when he said his right foot was stuck on his left shoulder. Berkine, 21, known known by his stage name, became trapped while while rehearsing in Gillingham, England. An OSTEOPATH freed his foot.

Sorry, but this made me laugh my azz off!!!

I saw that USA Today clip too!

BTW: We'll be in Des Moines on Thursday the 26th and Friday the 27th. And yes, 04s are most welcome ;)

That is, again, if you don't mind being seen with old people (34!).

I'll post again when I know exactly when and where we'll be!

Just wanna say... Thanks for the kind invitation :D

Hope you're hubby doesn't mind.... :cool:

Originally posted by jsdmu:
•I saw this clip in the USA TODAY:

Contortionist gets stuck at circus...
Circus workers thought a contortionist was joking when he said his right foot was stuck on his left shoulder. Berkine, 21, known known by his stage name, became trapped while while rehearsing in Gillingham, England. An OSTEOPATH freed his foot.

Sorry, but this made me laugh my azz off!!!•

Interesting.... Aren't osteopaths in England limited to manipulation only? I guess he manipulated his way out of this one.... ;)

My husband doesn't mind at all!

But, sorry to say, he does like to smoke a cigar once in awhile... :(

I'll try to talk him out of it when we're there!

Anyone who will be in Des Moines next week needs to email me for a get together!

Let's coordinate it with t-bone's arrival so as to make this as many people as possible :D

SunnyOne,

I hope you see this.... I got your message. Check your email.... I sent you a response....