DMU - '05 (part 2) = all DMU topics here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HEy Popoy and kid t
Hey it was great meeting you guys!!!
Have fun on your short trips and hopefully i'll see you guys soon.
and kidT don't worry i'll be calling you real soon to help with my move.
JS sorry i didn't get to meet you the other day but I'm sure i'll have the pleasure real soon, luke says hi by the way.

To all the others posting, have a great last few days and i look forward to meeting all of you. :) :p :D ;)

Members don't see this ad.

I hope Rugger got that message.... :( I wonder what he/she decided on?

Katie1822.... The weather here is actually pretty damp and wet.... Yesterday, sirens were blowing because of the tornado touch down on the south part of Des Moines!!! I'm not sure how it's going to be like when you start moving but I hope it'll be cooler....

BTW everyone, Kidterrific sends his hellos..... he has no access to the internet as of right now (waiting for his DSL connection)....

Alrighty... I'm out... till later!!! :cool:

Christopher's is close because of fire!!!

Anyway, t-bone and her husband, KidT, and my wife and I were able to relocate to Jimmy's!!!

t-bone, my wife and I are so glad we met you.... If you ever, ever need help please don't hesitate to ask....

I will also send you an email to send you my info and number....

Okie dokie.... so any other new DMUers out there?!!!

11 more days left ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
t-bone

You're email icon seems to be disabled.... Anyway, I sent you a private message....

All you do is click on "MY PROFILE" and you'll see my message....

Please email me back :)

Hey all... San Fran is beautiful and chilly. Went up to Napa today and visited some vinyards... strange how its so warm just 30 minutes north of sanfran. Anyways, gotta go enjoy J-town if ya know what I mean. A little sushi and sashimi does a boy good. See you all soon!
-- Josh

Must be enjoyin' yourself there Josh!!! :D

If you get a chance look for MIKUNI's -- it's a Japanese restaurant specializing in sushi only....

Have a safe trip back....

Popoy:

Did you get the e-mail I sent?

Thanks again for meeting us! Here's to a good first year at DMU!

t-bone

t-bone,

Yup, I got your message....I actually just sent you an email with my info....

Please contact us when my wife and I get back from Chicago to help you get settled in your new place....

Enjoy the rest of your break!!!

Here, here to a wonderful first year.... :D

Popoy:

Did you see the article I posted (from 'Quackwatch') about Osteopathy? I was just surfing the net and found this. I was quite angry when I read it. This man has several other articles on his site about DOs and their being 'second place' to MD's. :mad:

Anyway...

Do you really want an air conditioner? I think I can get you one for nothing :)

It is a large unit, but free of charge if you want it! Let me know.

Are you planning on buying an OMM (OMT) table?

Take care, and see you soon!

t-bone

Yes, I definitely read that article and my heart is still beating with ANGER!!! I just can't believe that that is out there.... Aaaarrrrggggghhhhh!!! :mad:

ooooooohhhhhhh.... okay, I just need to breath.....

Alrighty..... I'm sure that's gonna bug me for a while.... I really dislike it that things like that are out there....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AC!!! For FREE!!! :D

Please, please, please..... If that is at all possible, we would really, really, really appreciate it.... We'll treat you out one of these days to thank you....

OMM Table.... Yup, I'm planning on buying one from UAAO (I forgot what that stood for).... they have it for $50 cheaper.... I actually saw a really nice table two months ago, I knew nothing about it thus someone else got it before I realize I wanted it....

There's one in the bookstore right now, but after much thinking.... I think I'll get a new one so I can properly maintain and use it among friends and family members....

I even saw a "massage table" --- looks very similar to OMM but someone informed me that massage tables are softer and for relaxation.... OMM tables are firmer so that it doesn't absorb the force when doing manipulation.

Were you planning on getting one too?

I guess we're online at the same time :)

Thank you soooooo much.....

Popoy:

I will let you know in the morning about the ac. I'm sure it is still available. Our congregation bought a house with an ac window unit. Now the ac is just sitting there.

I will let you know ASAP (in the morning) if it is still there.

PS. Please have some of our classmates read this article by Dr. Barrett. If I am missing something, please let me know. I think this guy has to be brought up to speed on osteopathy! I'm still trying to find the link to the page about MD vs. DO schools.

Take care! I'll e-mail tomorrow.

And yes, I'm on SDN tonight...still in the night nurse sleeping pattern!

t-bone

t-bone... that sleeping pattern may help in studying for med school.... ;)

Thanks again :cool:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those interested, here's a link to QUACKWATCH regarding
<A HREF="http://www.quackwatch.com/cgi-bin/mfs/24/home/sbinfo/public_html/04ConsumerEducation/QA/osteo.html?40#mfs" TARGET=_blank>
"Dubvious Aspects of Osteopathy" by Stephen Barrett, MD
</A>

I guess this person is out there to make sure quackeries are noted, scrutinized, etc., etc.

The used table would be just fine - the tables in the bookstore are just from students who don't want to move them or don't see themselves using them in the next few years. You'll save yourself a wad o'dough, and I don't think a used table has any more "maintenance" issues than a new one. I think the one in the bookstore is without a case and you can buy a case by itself when the club has the table sale earlier in the year. I bought my table first year, from a fourth year student who never used it. His loss. Saved me $100.00.
If somebody is selling it, it's probably in great condition because it means they never used it. YOu'll be shelling out a ton of money the first semester - club fees, diagnostic equipment (about $700, easy), tuition, insurance (if you're not on a spouse's policy), books that you're convinced you need to buy but don't (DO NOT buy the biochem book - the department has phenomenal notes with everything you need - do buy the histology book) anatomy supplies (another $200), notepool & old tests ($300) so take the bargains where you can find them. For those of you who are in town now, go to the store to pick up some used books - just ask for anatomy & histology books - there's a ton in there now that a bunch of us are getting rid of cause we don't want to move.

First semester is the toughest, the rest goes by quickly. Just finished my last exam for my last class today - rotations start in a month. Good luck to all of you.

Dr. B - in case you're reading this, thank you for sharing what you know with us, lighting the fire, and constant encouragement. We'll try to make you proud. :cool:

(Mr. Smith - your notes will be in the bookstore in a bag with your name on them. Good luck next year.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Izlam, I'll pick that stuff up on Monday.

Josh is definately moving to J-Town for residency. Great sushi places everywhere and lots of dim-sum... good luck finding this stuff in Iowa!!!

Anyways, back monday, leave a message or e-mail me if anyone wants to hook up.

You're right Josh.... Restaurant wise, there's not that much ethnic mix.... I've seen Thai, Vietnamese, Laos, Chinese, Mexican.... In California,you'd see Japanese, Chinese, Mediterranean, Palestinean, India, Vietnamese, Thai, Mongolian, Pilipino, Guamanean, Mexican, Afganistan, etc.... the list goes on....

If there is one thing I miss from California is the diversity in food :) Ohhh well.... que sera sera....

Does anyone know where one can find good Japanese cuisine specially one with sushi?

The only thing I can find is Ohana Steakhouse....

BTW, for those of you who took the boards this year and can't check your DMU email.... I heard a few students today in the gym that the board examination results are coming out this Monday.... Good luck, y'all

I just wanted to thank all of you for your advice and input this past week in regards to my decision between DMU and CCOM. It was not an easy decision. And both schools are excellent. But I went with CCOM due to the rotations at DMU. I didn't want to have to be gone from my husband during most of those two years or settle for a lesser education just to stay in Des Moines. And the additional problems they have had with switching deans and the drop out of one of the Des Moines hospital just raised too many questions for me. I really like the first two years curriculum at DMU and the school as a whole. I am sure you will all be successful there, but I felt it was not the best place for me. Thanks again for all of your support, opinions, and information. :)

Thanks for letting us know..... Good luck in CCOM!

Popoy and T-Bone, thanks for the welcome.
I actually don't need the well wishes on the move to Des Moines. I've been living in Des Moines for close to 5 years now and I am an Iowa native.

Let me know if you've got Des Moines questions with which I might be able to assist.

Thanks for the offer Thunder.... Here's a question: Where can I find sushi?

Popoy,

I know that you've been on campus a few times so I figured you'd be the one to ask. Is there a piano somewhere on campus? Sorry, I know it's a strange question, but I need one to relieve stress. Some people work out, some people punch a pillow, but I pound out my frustrations on the ivories and the family I'm renting a room from don't have a piano. If there isnot one on campus I'll have to make arrangements with a local church--or something.

Thanks, t-bone

t-bone,

I've tried to search hi and low, looking for a piano, but I could not find any.... Unless I missed it.... I looked but saw none :(

I think some of the apartment complex have piano, I'm not sure which ones.... We don't have any here in Windsor Terrace, but your more than welcome to borrow my electric piano some times.... not the real thing but it has 5 octaves on it....

Sorry :( .... I'll look for it again when I'm on campus, but last month when I check there wasn't any.... I'll let you know what I find....

Hello all. Just wanted to say hi Iam back in Iowa now and just seeing if anyone has free time on their hands. Popoy (or anyone) if you are still looking for a good workout partner and someone to help you with diet issues then give me a shout. By the way I am selling my OMM table. Not sure how much, so just give me an idea. I just usually use the ones at school. oh, 255-9437 or [email protected]

I realize that it won't be cali standard, but does anyone know where one can get sushi??? Omaha has 4 sushi restaurants, so I figure des moines must have at least one!

Sna Fran was indeed a fun city but I don't see how anyone can afford to live there! I still have to go to the Stinking Rose next time I'm out there... their motto is, "we serve food with our garlic!" Sounds good to me!!! J-Town and China Town were a lot of fun... lots of good sushi and dim sum. Now I'm just wishing Iowa had a little culture... or any at all.

Went to a big asian dance club... me and about 4 other white guys among 200 asians. Me likey!!! Oh and I met Mario Van Peebles. San Fran... What a town!

Now off to South Carolina before school starts to visit some relatives and soke in some more sun before school gets going!

Wow.... I guess people are coming back already....

ryanpj, KidT is has been waiting for you. He'll be back tomorrow from his small trip

t-bone, I was wondering if there is any word on the AC.... if not, it's okay. I just need to know so I can make a decision to buy one from someone else in my apartment complex. I think I mentioned this during our dinner.... Anyway, I pass by the guys plays and he took his AC out already, so I think I need to make a quick decision before he splits.

jsdmu..... WWWAAAAAZZZZZ UPPPPP!!!! :D :cool: Yes, we need more culture here in DSM, IA.... Me thinks personally....

Question: Are we allowed to go into anatomy lab after hours? When can students go into anatomy lab to review and such?

Once anatomy starts (which isn't until after youv'e had histology - about 1.5 months in to the semester), you can go into the lab any time there isn't class scheduled (you can't skip biochem to go practice anatomy). I had an 8:00 date many a times with the bodies, and after hours until CJ (the mortician tech) goes home is fine.

I hope it wasn't you guys on the high field at Windsor Terrace until 12:30 on Saturday night. A group of people were whooping it up really late, looking like idiots and being really noizy. In addition to students, a lot of seniors and a few families with kids live there too. Whoever it was left the place a mess and left beer bottles and lawn furniture all over the place.

No more Des Moines till 2003! woo woo.

Thanks IzlamicM!!!

Nope, I'm not one of those people whoopin' it up.... I notice that as well.... I usually jog at night and when I went out it was already 12:30am and they were still there. I came back after my run at about 1:00am and they were still there.... I was invited to go. I guess it's one of those get together of new tenants.... I'm glad I decided not to.... I'm pretty much home bound most of the time. :D

I looked at our schedule of classes and notice that our class must have a different schedule now. We have histology after biochemistry and Anatomy starts on August..... Doesn't matter.... I'm just glad we can go in their after hours. I need all the practice I can get. Thanks again for answering my question.

Anyone know any good free on-line radio station websites? I got one working last night and now it isn't working. I downloaded media player 7.0 and I still can't get it to work when I try using the MSN radio stations. By the way, I am computer illiterate... so make it simple... please!

I think KidT knows but I'm not sure if his DSL is up and running yet....

t-bone, I got your email.... Thanks for trying....

Soooo, Izlamic M reminded me that the COMLEX results are in.... How did everyone do? or how did DMU do in general? Passing rates?

Originally posted by Popoy:
•Thanks for the offer Thunder.... Here's a question: Where can I find sushi?•

The only place I would trust is The Waterfront, in West Des Moines. It is in the Clocktower Square, a few blocks east of Valley west mall. I saw a newspaper article about the Sushi Chef at the Waterfront, who was highly touted. This restaurant is about the only place for fresh seafood.

I have also seen sushi at HyVee's chinese express in Windsor Heights. They also have a few items on the buffet at Shangri La on Merle Hay road.

--Derek

I'll check out the Waterfront sometime.... Thanks DDuncan....

I also saw sushi at China One, BUT.... it's no good....

Anyone want to check out the sushi at waterfront tomorrow??? Post-up... sashimi and Planet of the Apes sounds good to me!

I'm interested :D

How about matinee for Planet of the Apes then go for the sushi?

Give me a call tonight... I'll be up.... :cool:

If I don't answer the phone quickly.... that means I'm online... just stay on the phone until I get disconnected....

Or you can just post up.... either way.... :D

Sorry, ignore everything after the ? mark.

Sounds goooda!!! I'll await your call tomorrow.... I see you are still awake.... I tried calling and I got your answering machine.... I didn't bother leaving a message as I thought you might be sleeping already.... Anywayzzzz.... See ya tomorrow....

I'll call some theatres tonight so see the times available....

Hey, KidT.... Are you on the net yet? Are you back in IA?

The Waterfront Restaurant serves sushi on Wed/thur/fri after 5 PM for anyone who wanted to know.

jsdmu, sorry we weren't able to go.... surprisingly enough, my wife and I needed that free time today.... Many things came up that we needed to do before departing for Chicagoland.... Funny how things happen for a reason....

BTW, for those interested.... our first packet of notes for OMM is in Matthew's Bookstore already.... $4.05 (that's w/ tax already)

Another thing..... It's freakin' hot here!!! :D

For all of you incoming students who are moving in soon... its HOOTTT here! 96 today with heat index of 109 and lots of humidity.
Sopposed to be even hotter August 3rd -5th. Just a word of warning!
I'm off to SC tomorrow, back on monday!

I just got back to Iowa the other day and all I can say about the weather is ugh! It was 94 when my plane landed at 10pm. Anyway, I'm a bit curious about something. How soon do most people buy books and supplies (and what not)? I haven't gotten anything and don't intend on getting any of the stuff till next week. I'm just wondering if I missed out on something. Also if you are bored in Des Moines this weekend, my friend said there is supposed to be an Italian-American Festival in town that is usually fun.

hi everyone i just found this, gosh am i bummed i didnt find this a few weeks ago, would have been cool to meet up with a few of you before orientation started. has anybody recieved a packet as of lately that exlains what all is going on during orientation next week?
i am excited and scared ****less esp when i saw back in july some of you began studying biochem allready.

The only orientation packets I received was with all the other introductory stuff.... that is, it's a yellow packet describing the itinerary of the orientation day....

Just got back from Chicagoland!!! Dim sum all the way.... yummy.... :D

Geez.... 3-4more dayzzzz left.... get ready to start up again.... I need to get rid of some cobwebs from my brain.... Let's get ready to RUUUUMMMMBBBLLLEEEE!!!! :cool:

BTW,no one has started studying any biochem.... there was a thought of needing too, but why waste a wonderful free time in our hands before things become really hectic....

Oh yeah,... WELCOME TO SDN!!!

thanks popoy, yea i should probally hunt up that old packet and see what all is left. I see that they are setting up the big tents outside for us next week, i sure hope they dont make us stay outside to much of the time :cool: