DMU - '05 (part 2) = all DMU topics here!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey does anyone know when we get our embryology test scores???? i kinda wanna know if i passed or not. glad i took good notes on the practice exam yesterday. i think anyone who attended the review session should have done good on the exam, most of the questions were the same as on last years test. too much worry and griping over nothing. i'm still pissed that they keep rescheduling missed classes during embryology time. if a lecturer doesnt show up or classes are cancelled..they book everything on embryo time. that's our time to read the book! no wonder i was so far behind. anyone go to behav med yesterday that can update me on what its about. i had finish reading the last few chptrs of embryo. but, i have a feeling that i didnt miss anything important. good luck to all my classmates.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys --I'm checking back in!

Popoy-thanks for the kind words regarding OMM stuff-as you know I'm always glad to answer your questions/show you some techniques-your enthusiasm is fantastic!

ryanpj-your rage is more than understandable, however I dont believe the retoric of " lets kick their ass so hard they never want to do that again"- I am not a man of formal religion-but I have learned enough about the forces of evil to know that sending us into a reactionary mode is exactly what they want. If they did not want a reaction they would not have struck-these men are not fools. The question of who and where is also extemely difficult...this is not 1941-the enemy is not clear-for every Bin Laden there is someone to replace him. What do do??? The arguement of lets kick ass so no one wants to do thid again is invalid on many fronts. First, these guys obviously dont care if they die-its like threatening to punch a sadist. Second, terrorist groups are too diffuse to wipe out, sorry its just the way it is.

However, the US should us this opportunity to use some political muscle and get some solid argreements such that these kooks dont have a safe home in any country-including Iraq. This sanction crap hasn't been cutting it-all it does is starve kids and line the pockets of the blackmarket. Remeber the war on drugs too, a lot of talk and no results? We need to be smart and decisive-it is at a time like this when strong leadership would be wise to take some perspective-see what is needed for the future rather than short term satisfaction-and work towards solving problems instead of the usual washington band-aid solution. I hope junior is up to it.

I would also add that if a country is found to be responsible for supporting these men-I dont have any quams with a few large missles up their ass :)

-tmac

True macman, it is a shame that with these type of people who take their religion and extend it to another level have no sense of value for life whether it be theirs or ours. The sanction stuff, and all the other little "spanks on the @ss" do not work. The only viable option that I see is to eliminate those who threaten us the most. They will always find a way to infiltrate our country (especially if we leave our borders wide open) as long as these "cells" are allowed to exist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ryan, please tell me you were laughing as hard as I was when hoff was telling us about how people were offended by his comments. I think the politially correct crap has gone a little far. But then again, I pride myself on being politically incorrect!!!

Macman.... My kind words are true and you deserve every bit of it.... Thanks again for the kind offer.... I'll give you a call before practicals :)

I was working out today and overheard this conversation among second years regarding that whole Dr. Hoff thing.... Actually the person I overheard it from was the one who emailed/complained regarding the matter....

Interesting how there's always opposite views on all issues....

Thanks to the class of 04's in helping us get through Embryology.... Your advice regarding the matter helped the 05ers get through it.... It helped me at least.... :)

Good luck to my fellow 05ers this "Biochemistry" weekend!!!

Check your email for the list from Dr. Breinhapt (sp?) c/o Kathy "Class of 05 Med school mom" ;) .... regarding the division of questions.... later :cool:

In keeping with my frustration with the extremist politically correct... I would like to thank them for bitching so much about Dr. Gleason (Radiologist), that he will not be coming back this year. DMU has yet again lost another excellent clinical teacher, my sincerest thanks to those who continue their cause of global political correctness. And yes, this post is full of cynical attitude. I am sick of people bitching and moaning. Let us enjoy those few clinical teachers that we have left who are actually enthusiatic about medicine.

Maybe I'll start sabotaging all of the power point and slide presentations and start inserting pictures of F-16's and air-craft carriers!!!
Politically correct = bite my a$$

D.O's truelly do eat their own.

Curious: What politicaly incorrect blunder did Gleason undertake to get the boot?

In reviewing many of my recent posts, I have noticed my own little trends. Certainly, there are many people at DMU that disagree with much of what I have stated, there are also a few (maybe I'm being overly optimistic here) that agree with me. I am not going to continue to use this forum as my personal venting session. So, at this point, I wish you all good health and prosporous careers.
Josh takes a bow and puts himself on the sideline.

At 4:30 in the morning on Saturday I am writing after venting my frustrations at Vieux Carre and other unknown parts. JSDMU I agree that there are way too many "wine bags" in not only our class, but our world as well. Hello people, medical school is not supposed to be easy, it is supposed to be hard! I get pissed when a test is too easy and when test questions are repeated from last years, so much so that I would not even read old tests if it were for the fact that everyone else reads them and I know that if I do not then they mat surpass me in class rank. It alomst seems unfair to me. What this countrhy needs is some hard a$$ people who bust their a$$ day in and day out, and would give their right nut(or ovary to be politically correct) to kepp not only DMU, but most inmportantly the United States of America in check. After a long day full of adventures I am signing off in hopes that I will not regret last night. Later......

Terry (Macman)-

I just wanted to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to work on me in the atrium today. I especially appreciated the way you explained in detail what you were doing. You made OMM really interesting for us curious first years!

My lower back feels soo much better!

Hey Everyone,

What's the deal with being sent everywhere except Des Moines to complete requirements for the curriculum? Specifically, what chances does a student have to remain here in town for the majority of the 4 years? I'd like to learn more about this before my interview. Is it true that the representatives of the school tend to get defensive when asked about this?

Everybody seems to have gone quiet. Guess all that studying gets in the way of socializing (or posting as the case maybe). I just thought I would put in a message and move this thread back up somewhere near the top. Since I know JP has to be reading this everyday, guess I'll say thanks for the laugh. Your dive bomb onto my OMM table in lab was classic. I had an interesting lab, no TA or partener of my own :( And to Josh, we still didn't find anything on our neck. I think we lost everything up to the anterior triangle during the disection of the occipital triangle. We ended up leaving a note for our counterparts in group 1 apologizing for having nothing but some chewed up muscles. Have fun studying everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by SunnyOne:
•Hey Everyone,

What's the deal with being sent everywhere except Des Moines to complete requirements for the curriculum? Specifically, what chances does a student have to remain here in town for the majority of the 4 years? I'd like to learn more about this before my interview. Is it true that the representatives of the school tend to get defensive when asked about this?•

Your "chances" of staying in Des Moines varies from year to year. Why? (you ask). DMU does not have ANY core sites in Des Moines which it PAYS ANYTHING for, or for which they pay physicians to supervise and teach students. DMU core hospital rotations at VA or Broadlawns are taught by faculty which are either University of Iowa funded or volunteer. DMU must wait each year to be told how many students the hospital will take for the next year.

Take the number positions available in Des Moines (unknown), divide that by the number of students in your class wanting to stay in Des Moines (also unknown). add in the confusion of "the match". that gives you your chances of staying in DM.

If you ask, they don't get defensive. They have answered the question so many times. They make you sign a waiver on your secondary app that says you realize that you may not get to stay in DM.

Originally posted by Katie1822:
•Everybody seems to have gone quiet. Guess all that studying gets in the way of socializing (or posting as the case maybe). I just thought I would put in a message and move this thread back up somewhere near the top. Since I know JP has to be reading this everyday, guess I'll say thanks for the laugh. Your dive bomb onto my OMM table in lab was classic. I had an interesting lab, no TA or partener of my own :( And to Josh, we still didn't find anything on our neck. I think we lost everything up to the anterior triangle during the disection of the occipital triangle. We ended up leaving a note for our counterparts in group 1 apologizing for having nothing but some chewed up muscles. Have fun studying everyone!•

:)

You're welcome Katie.... :D
I'm glad I made your day.... I'm sure your partner must have slept in as sleeping seems to be a luxury nowadays....

Good luck to my fellow classmate this weekend.... BIOCHEMISTRY ALL THE WAY!!!!

But don't forget Behavior Med and OMM practical is coming up as well....

BTW, for those who don't know, the AV Department has on video Dr. B doing all the OMM practical for the first year.... Bring in a video tape in AV and they'll make a copy for you....

Later y'all :cool:

I think we should get a copy of that tape and throw an OMM party. Let's check out the Boz doing all the moves!

It'll be better than a Bruce Lee festival!

Jamie, you aren't trying to use that key/notepool party idea are you?

I checked out the video for the first practical and it wasn't detailed but does show you all the soft tissue techniques, range of motion as well as the Hip long restrictors.... In addition to the HVLA thrust for an anterior femoral head displacement.... :p

Anyway.... It's about 40 mins long and I think its a great review.... Before any OMM party starts :)

Hope y'all doin' well with Biochemistry.... :)

This may sound strange but I think I'll miss biochem when its over....

For any future interviewees for DMU reading this that are interviewing this October.... I'll see y'all during the lunch time.... :)

I hope everyone did well in their Biochem class....

One class down and another million to go :)

Have fun studyin' OMM and Behavioral med this weekend....

Wooo Hoooo! No exams for almost 2 weeks. I hope everyone did smashing on their OMM practicals and Behavioral Med test. Have a great night, I hope no one does any studying!

i'm back!

**I'm not planning on studying for a WEEK!!**
;) :) :D ;) :) :D ;) :)

Good luck on the behav & OMM tests. I'm sure u all did great!

Anyone else wind up with a Wheater's CD that is warped?

dieselkid

Nope.... Mines is workin' fine :)

Good luck to my fellow classmates on the histo exam....

Alright, I know I said I wouldn't post anymore... but since I don't talk to anyone at school anymore... can someone put to rest this new rumur that I heard??? The rumur is that our (2nd year) Renal section is going to be "self-taught". I really hope this is not true, but would like to know if anyone else has heard this one.

How about starting a new DMU-05 PART 3 thread? This one is getting quite lengthy.

Any takers?

t-bone

This is gettin' kinda lengthy.... :)