dmu and nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bomikepa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are they the best DO schools out there?

Members don't see this ad.

For some ya, others no.

That's a very subjective question. It depends by what you mean by best DO schools? Are you referring to the most competitive schools to get into? Their placement of students into residencies? Lots of details should be considered when you ask a question like this.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a very subjective question. It depends by what you mean by best DO schools? Are you referring to the most competitive schools to get into? Their placement of students into residencies? Lots of details should be considered when you ask a question like this.

yea residency placement mostly and also the schools reputation etc. There are quite a few new schools opening up and time will be required to establish their reputation.

also the quality of the teaching and the interest by professors to teach as opposed to the research types who cant teach per say.

I thought DMU/PCOM/CCOM were tied for #1?

OU is the best. State supported, research, huge OPTI network, very solid CORE rotations, smaller class size, awesome curriculum, huge alumni base, lots of money.

OU is the best. State supported, research, huge OPTI network, very solid CORE rotations, smaller class size, awesome curriculum, huge alumni base, lots of money.

We need more schools like OU.

But Nova, DMU, PCOM and CCOM are also all solid DO school. At this point, I would be weary of the new schools opening up, especially in the coming years.

how good is Western compared to DMU and nova?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I was referring to western health sci inCA

TCOM is 90% texas residents right?

TCOM has a quota for nonresidents. There is an OOS guy in the TCOM thread who just got in last minute. He had a 3.8/33, and they waitlisted him...

In general the schools that are part of the discussion of "what are the best schools" are those that don't have branch campuses.

so LE, PCOM, Western Health Sci, Touro, Midestern, AT Still, LMU any else that i am missing?

Marian, campbell, heritage, liberty are all new schools opening

isn't that basically all of them

so that leaves DMU and NOVA, NYIT msu, ohio cant remember the rest

In general the schools that are part of the discussion of "what are the best schools" are those that don't have branch campuses.
Nearly every school has a branch campus now.

Couldn't disagree more. PCOM and KCOM are two of the oldest institutions and have branch campuses.

Couldn't disagree more. PCOM and KCOM are two of the oldest institutions and have branch campuses.

<shrug> since this is all subjective you're free to disagree as much as you like. Your opinion is as valid as mine. :)

I started my comment with "In general" and of course there will always be exceptions.

Back 5 said:
Nearly every school has a branch campus now.

I'm not so sure this is a good thing... and I'm not sure why it's happening. This isn't something you see happen much in the allopathic world. Sure, there are state schools with multiple campuses but they're all within that state. You don't see the University of California opening a campus in Baltimore, or University of New York with a campus in Las Vegas. So I'm not sure why Philadelphia COM has a campus in Georgia or why LECOM has a campus in Florida...

Last edited:
The best school is the one that accepts you. Also it's NSU-COM not NOVA or NOVA-COM.

<shrug> since this is all subjective you're free to disagree as much as you like. Your opinion is as valid as mine. :)

I started my comment with "In general" and of course there will always be exceptions.

I'm not so sure this is a good thing... and I'm not sure why it's happening. This isn't something you see happen much in the allopathic world. Sure, there are state schools with multiple campuses but they're all within that state. You don't see the University of California opening a campus in Baltimore, or University of New York with a campus in Las Vegas. So I'm not sure why Philadelphia COM has a campus in Georgia or why LECOM has a campus in Florida...

I don't really get it either. These branched campuses give me a University of Phoenix feeling about these schools, except they are all non-profit schools.

The best school is the one that accepts you. Also it's NSU-COM not NOVA or NOVA-COM.

Lol on that. Most people do not know the nsu was formed because nova and southeastern eastern merged together to create one university.

Tcom. I have a surgeon brother who has worked with tcom students and he says they are some of the most competent students ever- and if you go to tcom you get to do rotations at jps, a crazy trauma hospital