DMU Apartments

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UIC Killa

EM ES ONE
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I was checking out some apartments and some of the ones in downtown Des Moines seem really nice (more modern ones and some high rises)...especially because I am from Chicago and I sorta like the city feel I guess...my question is that would living in downtown des moines be a bad idea?...is it too far from campus...would traffic be a problem (probably not)...maybe a distraction?...I kinda like having the more quite atmosphere of the campus for studying/working out and then coming back home to downtown des moines to kinda change things up a bit...i dunno...thats just me I guess...any advice would be appreciated...thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There are lots of places to live. I did my undergrad in Chicago as well and lived in West Des Moines when I was at DMU. I'd say about half of our class lived around campus, a few bought homes, and the others were spread out. There were only one or two people living downtown that I recall. And honestly, there's really not that much to do downtown, most of the stuff is in the western suburbs. With the highway construction pretty much coming to a close, traffic shouldn't be an issue, not that it was to begin with. Just my thoughts....good luck.

I know a few people who live downtown. The apartments (IMO) are nicer, as a whole, down there. Traffic should not be the problem as it is probably a 6-8minute trip on Grand the whole way. I would say that a lot of people choose to live right around school for the convenience. It is also nice to have the free wireless internet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look on their website, because they used to have apartment reviews and relative costs on there. I lived right across the street and it was nice in winter time to just be able to walk instead of commuting in the snow by car; plus it saved on gas money and my husband and I were able to share one car. There are certain copmplexes that are better than others. A lot of people lived in 3000 Grand, but I heard it was slightly expensive for what you ultimately got. I lived in the townhomes across the street, which I thought were overpriced and had a switch in management for the worse. Down the street, people loved it and it was pretty cheap and they got wireless for free. I am not sure what the downtown lofts are running but compare them to West Des Moines, like DMAK said, because the downtown in DSM is not really a downtown. The highrises are mainly insurance and publishing companies and it is dead after five pm in certain areas. We went to lot of bars in the downtown area, but all of the shopping and restaurants were in west des moines.

Thanks for all the advice...I just automatically thought that downtown des moines was similar to downtown chicago (compared to the rest of the city)...but I guess west des moines has more activity...I guess it's a good combinination of convenience and prices to ultimately decide

You need to come out and hang with us in West Des Moines. Love it! It's a great place to live! :thumbup:

I like the way you think UIC Killa. Do you like to play and watch sports, and engage in an occasional friendly match of beer pong (or Beirut as some like to call it)?

Does anyone know of a DMU student or other student who has bought a condo/small house? I really dont like throwing away $500 in rent every month, and figured it might be good to invest that in a place of my own... at least that way, you can recoup some of your money after 3-4 years. Any ideas/suggestions on how to go about this?

Know lots of people who did this. Have to have good credit and maybe a small downpayment (alot of companies, depending on the bank, look at your student status and loan debt as a big downer), perhaps even a spouse or parent that you can have co-sign that is making an income.

The housing market is pretty good right now (30-yr fixed is I think around 6% according to BizRate.com) and alot of realtors and banks are offering to pay for closing costs and offering 0% down-payments. Some are even advertising for college tuition approved, although I am not sure what this truly means since I haven't looked into it.

Do your research online, there are some pretty good websites that can walk you through it step by step.

***Just remember that if you buy a house/condo, you either want to bank on getting a Des Moines rotation slot or plan on re-selling in two years, and I don't know how much of a turn around profit you would make right now int hat amount of time.

Can any current DMU students comment on travel time to DMU from the major communities around the schools? Specifically was thinking about areas such as Grimes, Ankeny, Pleasant Hill, West Des Moines, Altoona, Johnston. I think I just named most of the areas around DMU and the greater Des Moines area, but I just want an idea as to which places would be acceptable to look for housing in terms of traveling to school.

Of the sites that you listed, all except Altoona & Johnston will probably be about a 10-15 minutes commute (maybe longer some mornings).

Altoona is a little further out there. Johnston is actually closer, but may take a longer time to get to DMU b/c of the way 235 is (you pretty much have to do half of the loop unless you take side streets).

All of the places you mentioned will mean that you are driving w/ all of the traffic every morning making that commute a little less predictable, but it is Des Moines & not Chicago so you shouldn't have any major problems.

You need to come out and hang with us in West Des Moines. Love it! It's a great place to live! :thumbup:

You actually like living out here? Oh man, I hate it. I am moving next semester to somewhere closer!

Can any current DMU students comment on travel time to DMU from the major communities around the schools? Specifically was thinking about areas such as Grimes, Ankeny, Pleasant Hill, West Des Moines, Altoona, Johnston. I think I just named most of the areas around DMU and the greater Des Moines area, but I just want an idea as to which places would be acceptable to look for housing in terms of traveling to school.

I live out in WDM and the commute is, as someone mentioned, unpredictable. I can sometimes get there in 5 minutes and other times it takes me over 15. The longest was over half an hour. If I had to make an average, I would say around 10 minutes.

UIC Killa- West Des Moines is basically like Naperville or Schaumburg, so if you like that scene it'll be good for you. It is definitely more of a suburban scene though. I don't live there, but I go out there to the mall, dinner, etc. Downtown Des Moines is like the South Side of Chicago, nothing much there except for a stadium and maybe a restaurant or two. I hate to tell you, but you won't get much of the urban feel that Chicago gives anywhere around here. A lot of the single people tend to live near campus more so that might be something to think about too depending on your situation.

I'm from the Chicagoland area so PM me if you have any questions or anything.

UIC Killa- West Des Moines is basically like Naperville or Schaumburg, so if you like that scene it'll be good for you. It is definitely more of a suburban scene though. I don't live there, but I go out there to the mall, dinner, etc. Downtown Des Moines is like the South Side of Chicago, nothing much there except for a stadium and maybe a restaurant or two. I hate to tell you, but you won't get much of the urban feel that Chicago gives anywhere around here. A lot of the single people tend to live near campus more so that might be something to think about too depending on your situation.

I'm from the Chicagoland area so PM me if you have any questions or anything.

Downtown Des Moines is obviously nothing in comparison to Chicago (but why should it be, since Des Moines is about 1/10 the size of Chi-town), but I personally feel as though the downtown area has more to offer than that.

There actually is a pretty good sized bar scene downtown and there are numerous restaurants, coffee shops, and things like that. Not to mention the AAA baseball stadium, science center, Wells Fargo Arena, and various other forms of entertainment are all in the downtown area. Maybe it's just me, but I think the downtown area has a fair amount to offer, and I'd be willing to bet that it will only grow considering the number of lofts they keep building there. Just like all across the country, there has been a resurgence of downtowns in cities. People are leaving the suburbs and moving back to the city, and although Des Moines is a smaller city, I think it's moving towards that idea as well.

Just putting in my $.02.

I live adjacent to a liquor store and love it. :D I hope I can find something similiar near DMU, heh

I live adjacent to a liquor store and love it. :D I hope I can find something similiar near DMU, heh

Dude you golf and frequent liquor stores? This could be the start of a beautiful friendship :laugh:

$1200 / month 2br/2bath, 1200 sqft right in front of DMU (Des Moines University). Rent includes trash pickup and water.

Brand new Condo
In Front of Des Moines University (DMU)
1 mile from Drake University
2 bedroom / 2 full baths
Large walking closet
10ft ceiling
Gas fire place
Balcony
Ceiling fans in bedrooms
AC
Stainless steal appliances
Wood floor in kitchen and in the entry section
Granite counter top
2nd floor
1 car garage
Large Community room (includes fireplace, kitchen, and bathroom)
5 years tax abatement
Public transportation
Walking distance to stores and restaurants
10 miles from mall, and walking distance to banks, shops, Walgreen, hyvee (grocery store), galleries and so on.
2.5 miles from center city
Very safe area

Note: Many DMU students live in this building; they have either bought a unit, or are renting one.

I am also willing to sell this condo for $210,000.

If interested, contact me at [email protected]