DMU, AZ, Nova, C&PCOM breaks/clinicals

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mompremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
APB to anyone going to the above schools:

What are the break schedules like, i.e., longer breaks vs. very short or nearly nonexistant breaks?

What clinical rotations are available, besides OPTI rotations? For instance I "hear" that at some schools you can set up your own 3rd/4th year rotations...can that be in any city you can find to set them up at? If so, what logistics are involved in setting that up?

Also, I know UHS offers more/different rotation sites than are listed in OPTI, do any of the above schools have other sites as well? If so, are any of them even AROUND or near Kansas City, like say Wichita, Springfield, etc.?

I really appreciate any assistance....I need to apply to some other schools but if I leave KC my grown children will not be coming with me and I want to at least be at a school that gives me SOME possibility for getting back to KC for rotations, or at least long enough breaks that I can come back to visit once in a while, if at all possible. And of course funds are limited so I can't afford to apply, travel to, etc., other schools without knowing some of these things beforehand.

Thanks,
mompremed.

Members don't see this ad.

NOVA's affil's seem to (somewhat) geographically grouped... Fort Lauderdale, Miami area. You can travel a bit (Orlando, Largo, etc) if you want (or if your lottery says you will).

NOVA has a bunch of "breaks." 6 weeks off before boards part I plus 4 weeks off in the 3rd year and I think another 4 weeks in the 4th year. Plus summer off 1st year!

Each school is individualistic on the actual procedure to setup "outside" rotations. I am wondering if the are smiled upon, since most contracts with OPTIs are bilateral (we have X slots, you send Y students/year)....

-A

Hi there is a pre-osteo thread where the very nice and informative aloha kid is answering questions about AZCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am only able to tell you what I know about DMU. THerefore, I will be leaving the comparison part up to you! =)

We are currently on T-giving break (had thursday and friday off) we have 2 weeks off for CHristmas and a week off for Spring break in march...along with the national holidays (labor day, martin luther etc)

Here's what I know about rotations. WE have a match that sets you up with a 4 month hospital rotation and a 2 month clinic rotation for your third year, which must be at a location the school calls a "core site". The remaining 6 mo of your 3rd year and your 4th year are up to you to set up (with some guidance and regulations...such as how much time is spent with osetopaths etc) You should have no problems getting back to KC for these. Some students criticize our school for this - thinking that the school should be responsible for setting up all our rotations for us. However, I also know that this is the reason why many people (including myself) chose to come here. Yes, it is a little more work - but it gives you a chance to make more decisions about location, particular physicians you would like to work with etc. I would not want someone else telling me where I am going to get the best education etc. I am happy to know that I have choices!!!

I hope this info helps! If you have any further questions about the school - please feel free to write me! [email protected]

Best of Luck to you!!

Also, KC is not that far from DMU. I know many students that go back on the weekends to visit with family. Probably not a commute you would want to make every week - but much more doable than some of the other DO schools.

Hi

I can only speak for AZCOM, as I am a fourth year now. As a first year you get 2 weeks off in November to coincide with Thanksgiving, approximately 2 weeks in December to coincide with Christmas and New Years and a week off in late February/early March after 2nd quarter finals. You get the summer off bet. your first and second year (late May to late Aug.). Second year schedule is similar, except you only get one week for Thanksgiving. There is no summer off second year, between your finals and the boards may be 2.5-3 weeks (where you will be studying, unless you have a memory like a computer) and you start your third year at the end of June. There are 4-5 rotations that you can do out of state in your 3rd year and 4th year you set up completely (so you can do all out of state if you desire). Many of the 3rd year rotations are preceptor based (don't let that scare you, I had excellent experiences) and you are able to set up your 4-5 as inpatient rotations. 4th year, you may set up all inpatient rotations in the city (ies) that you want to be in. Hopefully this clarifies your questions about AZCOM.

Hi

I can only speak for AZCOM, as I am a fourth year now. As a first year you get 2 weeks off in November to coincide with Thanksgiving, approximately 2 weeks in December to coincide with Christmas and New Years and a week off in late February/early March after 2nd quarter finals. You get the summer off bet. your first and second year (late May to late Aug.). Second year schedule is similar, except you only get one week for Thanksgiving. There is no summer off second year, between your finals and the boards may be 2.5-3 weeks (where you will be studying, unless you have a memory like a computer) and you start your third year at the end of June. There are 4-5 rotations that you can do out of state in your 3rd year and 4th year you set up completely (so you can do all out of state if you desire). Many of the 3rd year rotations are preceptor based (don't let that scare you, I had excellent experiences) and you are able to set up your 4-5 as inpatient rotations. 4th year, you may set up all inpatient rotations in the city (ies) that you want to be in. Hopefully this clarifies your questions about AZCOM.