##--DMU Class Of 2010--## part 02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just meant, y'know...cause there hasn't been a ton of posts going on, that's all.... Congrats!

Members don't see this ad.

Ok, quick little few questions, I'm accepted to DMU and several other DO programs and have yet to decide/send any $ in. Unlike, probably a lot of typical DO students, I'm 40, been a RN for a few years, lived and traveled all over the world, and am from San Francisco. I know med skool will be a f**king nightmare amount of work, time, sweat, tears and maybe some blood loss, that is to say, I'm not the slightest bit naive or wearing rose colored lenses when it comes to the work load. I could really relate to someone's post about looking at all the shiny, new first years touring the facility and thinking, "like lambs to the slaughter" (or something like that).....that's how I feel when I precept new nurses..

but for my questions: does living in DM suck? can you get organic food esp produce easily? what about diversity....eg decent thai restaurants? and, how about 3rd/4th rotations, decent opprotunities w/in the DM area or am I gonna have to move each friggin year for a new rotation. HOw about rotations that have on call? Friends of mine have often had rotations in 3rd where they were on call every 4 days, but when I asked a 2nd yr about this at interview day he looked at me like I was insane, he said "there's no call when you're student, that's only residency".........I've had 3 good friends go thru it and they've ALL had call. Um, anything I should know about DM or DMU, from my tour I can sense that it's a great school, probably one of the best I've been accepted to, but I"m having a hard time w/the location, living in Iowa just might send me over the edge..........

Anyway, any comments much appreciated, sorry supr long post

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, quick little few questions, I'm accepted to DMU and several other DO programs and have yet to decide/send any $ in. Unlike, probably a lot of typical DO students, I'm 40, been a RN for a few years, lived and traveled all over the world, and am from San Francisco. I know med skool will be a f**king nightmare amount of work, time, sweat, tears and maybe some blood loss, that is to say, I'm not the slightest bit naive or wearing rose colored lenses when it comes to the work load. I could really relate to someone's post about looking at all the shiny, new first years touring the facility and thinking, "like lambs to the slaughter" (or something like that).....that's how I feel when I precept new nurses..

but for my questions: does living in DM suck? can you get organic food esp produce easily? what about diversity....eg decent thai restaurants? and, how about 3rd/4th rotations, decent opprotunities w/in the DM area or am I gonna have to move each friggin year for a new rotation. HOw about rotations that have on call? Friends of mine have often had rotations in 3rd where they were on call every 4 days, but when I asked a 2nd yr about this at interview day he looked at me like I was insane, he said "there's no call when you're student, that's only residency".........I've had 3 good friends go thru it and they've ALL had call. Um, anything I should know about DM or DMU, from my tour I can sense that it's a great school, probably one of the best I've been accepted to, but I"m having a hard time w/the location, living in Iowa just might send me over the edge..........

Anyway, any comments much appreciated, sorry supr long post

Des Moines is a large city in the middle of a corn field is the best way I can put it. With a metro population of nearly 200,000 and a total population of over 500,000 people, it has a lot to offer but still maintains that "small city" feel. There are a number of organic food markets in the city (one right down the street from where I used to live in WDM). Third year rotations might change, so all I can give you is what I know. I was able to stay in Des Moines and the only had to live outside of the city twice (was given housing once and had to live with a crazy family the other time). So that part did suck and, yes, I did hear of students traveling all over the state for their rotations. However, you also have the students who secured spots in non-dm locations and pretty much worked out of one hospital system; again, I hear rumblings that this is all going to change and a few sites in OH already have been told no DM students will be coming back (Youngstown is one). My fourth year rotations were all my doing, I picked them all and picked them close to where I would be living; no sucking there. Yes, you can be on call as a student; in fact, expect to be. In General surgery we had to be on call four times during the month, in OB-GYN I was on call Q-3 with my doctor but..how else are you going to catch babies?

CONGRATS GRADS!! I mean DOCTORS!! WE OUTTA HERE!!!!!!!!
:highfive::horns::claps::lol::banana: