DMU class of 2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I haven't heard, I know.:D

There are quite a few of us in each class.

Jeez, I must have missed the memo. What was i thinking going to school in utah, and it not being BYU! Hopefully they don't make me start over! I don't know if i could get in to BYU!:D

Members don't see this ad.

There I go again starting another page!:rolleyes:

So have any of you started to look for housing in the Des Moines area?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've started to look at different places through ApartmentFinder.com and other sites like that, but haven't really got very serious about it yet. I'm planning on moving sometime this spring (april probably) and will start looking more seriously once the new year begins. Anyone know what they are going to do about roommates or just planning on living solo?

~Goldengustie

I mentioned it to Goldengusty, but if there are 3-4 of you first year guys who want to share a house within two blocks of the school it should be available. Currently there are 4 third year students living there, but we will all be headed out on clerkships starting in June. The rent is cheap and it's close to school, PM me if you are interested and I will give you the name of one of the guys living there.

I mentioned it to Goldengusty, but if there are 3-4 of you first year guys who want to share a house within two blocks of the school it should be available. Currently there are 4 third year students living there, but we will all be headed out on clerkships starting in June. The rent is cheap and it's close to school, PM me if you are interested and I will give you the name of one of the guys living there.

The frat house must live on!!!

I'll renovate it into a giant foot

I just found out I was accepted into the DMU class of 2011! I will be joining you all next year, I can't wait! It will certainly be a demanding curriculum and challenge all of us in new ways. But I know that out of all the Pod Schools I looked at, DMU has all the right tools to help us all succeed as a DPM and as a confident healthcare provider in the 21rst century!

Congrats! Where do you go to school?

I'll bring a lot of Ben and Jerry's! Any flavor requests? I prefer phish food myself as well as Half Baked. Those brownies mixed with cookie dough are just irresistable. To answer your question: I went to Ithaca College in New York, I am currently living in Vermont working for the year (until school starts in August) :D

I'm just mad they got rid of One Sweet Swirled, that was the best flavor in my opinion (and my wife agrees)

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been in contact with the guys that currently live in the house that Gustydoc commented on and am considering the place an option for living next year. If any of the DPM '11ers are interested, PM me and maybe we can get something going!

Just an interesting fact:

I spoke with the DMU admissions coordinator last week. She said that of last years application pool (class of 2010), only 1/3 of people who applied were even granted an interview. And admissions are up a bit from last year. I guess that means you are all smart or something :)

I'm going to go with the something part! (atleast in my case) Actually that is quite surprising. I didn't realize that they only interviewed so few number of applicants. Now I'll need to go home and have my wife bring me back down to earth and help me decrease the size of my head!:laugh:

I'll be joining the DMU class of 2011 now. Good luck everyone! anyone know the average apartment cost near campus?

I'll be joining the DMU class of 2011 now. Good luck everyone! anyone know the average apartment cost near campus?

Congratulations! Welcome to the posse.

congrats!!!! From what I have heard, the apartment costs near campus can be as low as 400 a month, to as much as 700 a month. There is some info on apartments in the packet you got on interview day, and meghan said that you can find out info on the dmu portal in a few months or so. (School starts August 13 I believe).

How much is the usual heating bill during the winter months in Des Moines? I'm from Texas and a little worried about the cold.

How much is the usual heating bill during the winter months in Des Moines? I'm from Texas and a little worried about the cold.

I live in a 2 bedroom townhome (two story) and the electric bill is around $100 a month during the winter months.

congrats!!!! From what I have heard, the apartment costs near campus can be as low as 400 a month, to as much as 700 a month. There is some info on apartments in the packet you got on interview day, and meghan said that you can find out info on the dmu portal in a few months or so. (School starts August 13 I believe).

You will get a password for the portal way before school starts.

I live in a 3 story, 4 bd 2 1/2 bath touwnhome. My utilities (gas and electric) is 125 a month.

Thank God, I didn't want to be the only one. What city are you from?

Haha I survived the ice freeze the last two days!! There were like 500 crashes and 3 deaths here and the city was declared emergency mode because there was a little ice on the road. It was crazy! I actually saw icicles on my car!

I live in San Antonio, Tx, Catalyst. We must be near each other because the freeze lasted here for 2 days as well and people's ability to drive goes to hell in that weather.

I live in San Antonio, Tx, Catalyst. We must be near each other because the freeze lasted here for 2 days as well and people's ability to drive goes to hell in that weather.

The freeze usually lasts a couple months up here in Minnesota! And even though all of us up here drive through the same conditions every winter, most seem to forget how to drive with snow and ice and the roads become utter caos. Its kind of funny how this all works :laugh:

that ice storm from the midwest sent lots of snow to vermont (where i am). It was also -10 degrees with a windchill factor making it -22. I checked the weather in Des Moines during this, and its been in the low 30's...beach weather!!

that ice storm from the midwest sent lots of snow to vermont (where i am). It was also -10 degrees with a windchill factor making it -22. I checked the weather in Des Moines during this, and its been in the low 30's...beach weather!!

Ya, the worst it got here was 2 below zero on Monday, 8 below on Tuesday, and zero on Wednesday. It has been up in the 20's yesterday and today (lows in the single digits and teens). More snow this weekend!

Wow I'm in San Antonio too! What pods did you shadow here?

I dont know where you got your weather info from, but I have not seen anything close to 30s these past weeks. Windchill was -20 on Monday. I hoping for the 30s though.

my mistake, i guess i misread weather.com.....eitherway winter is here and in full swing!!! keep those toes warm!!

So for those DPM students that are starting this fall, what is your plan for the remainder of your time before classes start? I know I'm trying to mix in some traveling along with my work schedule just to keep myself sane. Anybody have anything sweet plans? How about when you plan on moving to Des Moines? I'm planning on moving sometime in May, possible late April if the chance presents itself! Hope everyone is doing well.

Cheers :D

Plan for me is to keep working where I am at until May then hopefully move up to Des Moines. Sometime in July I'm heading to Ireland though for a nice 2 week vacation with some friends. Time to start apartment hunting again I suppose.

I'm just working and finishing my bachelors degree. Taking a trip to DisneyWorld with the inlaws the end of Feb and a trip to Des Moines for spring break in March. Other than that just work and school. Will probably move out mid to late july.

When's the first day of orientation?
I had figured on moving right before school starts

Orientation is the week before school starts. School starts monday August 13th, so I would think monday August 6th is when orientation is. Im also planning on moving to Des Moines right before school starts.

Orientation is the week before school starts. School starts monday August 13th, so I would think monday August 6th is when orientation is. Im also planning on moving to Des Moines right before school starts.

I'd suggest giving yourself time to get apartment and life outside of school together. Don't pop in the day before school. School is stressful enough that you don't want to be packing and buying groceries that first week.

I'd suggest giving yourself time to get apartment and life outside of school together. Don't pop in the day before school. School is stressful enough that you don't want to be packing and buying groceries that first week.

Good advice. We moved in a few weeks before school started and it helped to get everything settled. Because once it starts, it doesn't stop!

good advice guys. A few weeks before is better than the day before. Still have a while to plan this out though....school starts in about 28 weeks from this coming monday 1/29, hehe.

Good advice. We moved in a few weeks before school started and it helped to get everything settled. Because once it starts, it doesn't stop!

This is great advice. We moved a month before school and it was so nice to get settled, meet new people and get to know the area before crunch time. Jonwill helped me move in but that was the worst part of moving. Everything else was good.

This is great advice. We moved a month before school and it was so nice to get settled, meet new people and get to know the area before crunch time. Jonwill helped me move in but that was the worst part of moving. Everything else was good.

You cut me deep Iliza, you cut me deep :laugh:

Is anyone else having trouble logging on to the DMU portal??

I got my info last week - couldn't log on - called the help desk and they said I had to wait a week (nothing was mentioned in the letter). Anyway, I still can't logon so I called again and the guy at the helpdesk couldn't help me. He tried different combinations of my user name/domain/password and finally gave up. He just said to try again later. :(

Am I the only one having trouble?

Is anyone else having trouble logging on to the DMU portal??

I got my info last week - couldn't log on - called the help desk and they said I had to wait a week (nothing was mentioned in the letter). Anyway, I still can't logon so I called again and the guy at the helpdesk couldn't help me. He tried different combinations of my user name/domain/password and finally gave up. He just said to try again later. :(

Am I the only one having trouble?

I would call Meghan and let her crack the whip.

The log on didn't work for me the first time, then I realized one letter was capitalized.

Case sensitive pws are annoying