DMU class of 2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wonder if that is new b/c we only have lower case in our passwords.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought my password was annoying too, but like others, once you get to school you will be used to it and it will be like any other password....except you don't have to worry about too many people seeing you type it and being able to crack it. I believe you can change it once you get your computers here but almost everyone I know just kept it.

My husband sent in his confirmation for DMU so he will be joining you guys for the class of 2011. He is very excited and we have both been surfing these forums for awhile. I decided there was not nearly enough current posts on this thread and was sad that the Scholl's and AZPod 2011er's were having all the fun.

So let's get this thread active again and find out more information about each other.

What school did you previously attend?
What are you doing now until school starts?
When are you moving to Des Moines?
Married? Single? Kids? Hopefully not in that order :oops:
And any other sweet information.

I'll respond for my husband seems how I'm the wanna be pre pod student poster here.

What school did you previously attend? BYU, +pity+ Rise & Shout the Cougars are out!!
Does DMU have a mascot?

What are you doing now until school starts? Working to save up the bucks to pay for this sweet endeavor
When are you moving to Des Moines? Late July or first of August (I have a sweet job and I'm not very excited about having to look for another one in Iowa but I'm very excited for my husband to be starting classes)
Married? Single? Kids? Hopefully not in that order :oops: Married, no kiddies yet (if anyone else is married I think we should have a wife or husband club so we have friends too while they are busy studying together)

Members don't see this ad :)
What school did you previously attend? Weber State University (I know, we just got killed by UCLA)
What are you doing now until school starts? Just working and finishing degree
When are you moving to Des Moines? second or third week in july
Married? Single? Kids? Hopefully not in that order :oops: Married no kids. I'm sure my wife would be down with some friends. she's not real stoked to be moving:laugh:
Major: Microbiology

Not much else is cool about me! just the same. Podwif, tell your husband congrats on the decision. I think we'll have a great class!!!

My husband sent in his confirmation for DMU so he will be joining you guys for the class of 2011. He is very excited and we have both been surfing these forums for awhile. I decided there was not nearly enough current posts on this thread and was sad that the Scholl's and AZPod 2011er's were having all the fun.

So let's get this thread active again and find out more information about each other.

I'll respond for my husband seems how I'm the wanna be pre pod student poster here.

What school did you previously attend? BYU, +pity+ Rise & Shout the Cougars are out!!
Does DMU have a mascot?

What are you doing now until school starts? Working to save up the bucks to pay for this sweet endeavor
When are you moving to Des Moines? Late July or first of August (I have a sweet job and I'm not very excited about having to look for another one in Iowa but I'm very excited for my husband to be starting classes)
Married? Single? Kids? Hopefully not in that order :oops: Married, no kiddies yet (if anyone else is married I think we should have a wife or husband club so we have friends too while they are busy studying together)

DMU does have a club for significant others of current students, I can't remember what it's called, but they try to organize activities and what not, but honestly, once you meet your classmates, you'll find your niche and just hang out with them and their SOs and what not. Congrats, you'll love it here, but come about this time next year, you'll just want the misery to stop!!!

What school did you previously attend? South Dakota State University
What are you doing now until school starts? Pharmacy Tech
When are you moving to Des Moines? Third week in July
Married? Single? Kids? Hopefully not in that order :oops: Getting married on april 14th! Nope, no kids yet.
And any other sweet information. I know my fiance is not real happy about moving either but she will be fairly busy working as an RN.
Go Lady Jacks!

Does DMU have a mascot?

What happend to BYU last night? They just couldnt seal the deal against Xavior.

What school did you previously attend? Weber State University (I know, we just got killed by UCLA)
What are you doing now until school starts? Just working and finishing degree
When are you moving to Des Moines? second or third week in july
Married? Single? Kids? Hopefully not in that order :oops: Married no kids. I'm sure my wife would be down with some friends. she's not real stoked to be moving:laugh:
Major: Microbiology

Not much else is cool about me! just the same. Podwif, tell your husband congrats on the decision. I think we'll have a great class!!!

Oh I'm so excited your wife would be down with some friends. I was all for my husband picking the school he wanted to go, but now that the decision is made I'm nervous b/c we have never lived anywhere were we didn't have some sort of family or friends nearby. He will be fine b/c he'll be so busy with classes and studying that I'll need to make friends quick so I don't crazy or get too home sick. :D

You should have your wife create an account and we can chat in the spouse section. Currently it is all med students and residency spouses, so it would be cool to have some pod people.

What happend to BYU last night? They just couldnt seal the deal against Xavior.

I don't know I haven't really followed the cougar sports, when I went there (I graduated several years before my husband) the only sports program having any luck was the soccer team and they were or are a club sport.

I just like the fight song, my mom use to come in to wake me up when I was little singing that first line, "RISE & SHOUT the Cougars are out". It was pretty annoying back then, but now it's funny.

What school did you previously attend? South Dakota State University
What are you doing now until school starts? Pharmacy Tech
When are you moving to Des Moines? Third week in July
Married? Single? Kids? Hopefully not in that order :oops: Getting married on april 14th! Nope, no kids yet.
And any other sweet information. I know my fiance is not real happy about moving either but she will be fairly busy working as an RN.
Go Lady Jacks!

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding, that is great! What an exciting year for you, marriage & pod school.

One of my best friends in college became an RN, that's sweet she can be bringing in the big bucks to pay for school :) She can probably even help you study. I'll be of no help to my husband as I was a business major, but I can make the best darn flashcards you have ever seen :D

What school did you previously attend? St. Mary's University, San Antonio, TX
What are you doing now until school starts? Delivering pizzas, possibly working with the National Park Service
When are you moving to Des Moines? Early July or Late June
Married? Single? Kids? Single:cool:
Major: Biology, (BA so I could graduate early)

What am I doing to prepare for pod school? Trying to adjust to waking up before noon, reading a little stuff on anatomy

What school did you previously attend? Trinity University, San Antonio, Tx
What are you doing now until school starts? Working as a med tech
When are you moving to Des Moines? Mid July-Late July
Married? Single? Kids? Single
Major: Chemistry

What am I doing to prepare for pod school? I am going to continue working for another few months then start reading up on old material

Well nobody has posted here for a while so i thought i'd put a little something. Have any of you decided where you're going to live? What apartment complexes have you heard good things about?

Members don't see this ad :)
What school did you previously attend? Idaho State University
What are you doing now until school starts? I am taking endocrinology and biochem, as well as working 45 hrs per week
When are you moving to Des Moines? We were planning on moving in late July but we are trying to purchase a home so it might be earlier.
Married? Single? Kids? I am married (almost 5yrs), we have a daughter (Madison) who is 19 months
Major? Zoology
What am I doing to prepare for pod school? I am trying to relax and enjoy some free time with my family

So how is everyone's financial aid stuff going? I'm just glad to have all my stuff submitted...its all such a pain in the rear (though I guess paying all of tution, etc, out of pocket would hurt even more)!

Anyone have any cool stories to share from their shadowing experiences? I got to see some pretty impressive flatfoot reconstructions-pretty amazing what the end result is! Have a good weekend all :D

So how is everyone's financial aid stuff going? I'm just glad to have all my stuff submitted...its all such a pain in the rear (though I guess paying all of tution, etc, out of pocket would hurt even more)!

Anyone have any cool stories to share from their shadowing experiences? I got to see some pretty impressive flatfoot reconstructions-pretty amazing what the end result is! Have a good weekend all :D

I believe I have all of my stuff submitted. I do agree that it was a pain, but like you said its better than paying out of pocket!!! Did the fin aid office send you an email or anything informing you that you had completed everything?

I emailed them directly and they told me I had everything in that I needed. I guess they don't usually confirm until later in the summer because some of the other classes start before ours and so they are busy with that. I'd just send them a quick line to see what they say.

~Golden Gustie

I was hoping that someone familiar with the Des Moines area could give me info about Newton, IA. I am going up tomorrow to see a townhouse in Newton and was wondering if anyone could offer any experiences with the commute and/or town atmosphere. The managers told me it was approximately 30 minutes from school. How is traffic in that area/direction?

I am very limited in housing choices as I have two dogs so this was one of very few affordable options.

Thanks for any responses - I appreciate it!

And happy hunting to everyone else looking for places to live next year!!!

I was hoping that someone familiar with the Des Moines area could give me info about Newton, IA. I am going up tomorrow to see a townhouse in Newton and was wondering if anyone could offer any experiences with the commute and/or town atmosphere. The managers told me it was approximately 30 minutes from school. How is traffic in that area/direction?

I am very limited in housing choices as I have two dogs so this was one of very few affordable options.

Thanks for any responses - I appreciate it!

And happy hunting to everyone else looking for places to live next year!!!

Are you looking to rent or own? If you want to own, I've listed a townhome on the SDN classifieds that the owner is very willing to work on the price.

Newton is no a bad drive but construction is going that way on the interstate; so the drive might get worse in the next few years. According to Yahoo, you are looking at over a 40 mintue drive w/o traffic. I would look in Polk City or Ankeny before going that far.

If you'd like, we can talk more if you PM me.

Well I missed the beginning of this post, so here's my two cents:

What school did you previously attend? Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY
What are you doing now until school starts? Worked at a health and wellness center, Health Insurance company, and as a Ski Instructor at a large resort in Vermont
Major: B.S. in Exercise Science

What am I doing to prepare for pod school? Trying to do as many adventurous things as possible before school takes over my life again!:)

Well I missed the beginning of this post, so here's my two cents:

What school did you previously attend? Ithaca College, Ithaca, NY
What are you doing now until school starts? Worked at a health and wellness center, Health Insurance company, and as a Ski Instructor at a large resort in Vermont
Major: B.S. in Exercise Science

What am I doing to prepare for pod school? Trying to do as many adventurous things as possible before school takes over my life again!:)

So you gave up on Temple once you visited DMU mr. Jeep? Good choice.

Right on Dr. Gangrene! And I see that you gave up on Temple as well after you got into AZPOD. Also a very wise choice! I guess we both had a similar impression of Temple after our visit there....haha.

Right on Dr. Gangrene! And I see that you gave up on Temple as well after you got into AZPOD. Also a very wise choice! I guess we both had a similar impression of Temple after our visit there....haha.

Watch it, per the TUPSM, your are mocking the Harvard of podiatric medicine.

Hi all,
I think i'll be joining you in the fall. Just trying this thing sdn thing out.

Welcome Creepyfoot! And Dr. Feelgood you are right per TUSPM. They are known as the Harvard of pod med. But oh well I chose DMU! If tuspm is harvard, what does that make DMU? Oxford?!

What school did you previously attend? Drake University
What are you doing now until school starts? Working at a hospital as CNA and finishing up some research
When are you moving to Des Moines? Already here
Married? Single? Kids? Hopefully not in that order Single with a long term girlfriend of 4 years
And any other sweet information
BS Biology and Neuroscience double major
I go mountain biking behind the old science center (maybe a mile away from DMU)

Hey Creepyfoot, do you road bike at all? I do alot of road biking myself. Im trying to get back into mountain biking though, just have to get my bike fixed. Maybe you could show me the trails behind the science center sometime! Are there any other quality mountain biking trails in des moines?

i just have a moutain bike, but do go on the paved trails around des moines. expecially like the ones up at saylorville lake.

As for mountain biking, the trial is completely flooded (I was just there today) but once this crazy rainy season takes a break I'll be heading out there again. There are really only 2 trials that i know of in des moines one is up behind the old K-mart on Euclid (near the river) and the best one in ashworth/Greenwood park ( about 12 miles of single track). i'd be willing to show you around the trial sometime cause it does get a bit convoluted back there.