DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

labgirl

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am expecting a DMU secondary and haven't received it yet. Does anyone know when they are supposed to be available?

Members don't see this ad.

How long ago was your AACOMAS verified for DMU??? I believe I got my secondary a week or two after it was verified. Maybe now because they are busier they are slower. I would definitely call the office if it has been longer than 2 weeks.

DMU has NO ESSAY QUESTIONS on their secondary so there should be no problem completing and submitting ASAP when you do get it. I got an email from them a week or so back saying my file was complete and would be contacted in 30 days concerning inteview decisons.

How long ago was your AACOMAS verified for DMU??? I believe I got my secondary a week or two after it was verified. Maybe now because they are busier they are slower. I would definitely call the office if it has been longer than 2 weeks.

DMU has NO ESSAY QUESTIONS on their secondary so there should be no problem completing and submitting ASAP when you do get it. I got an email from them a week or so back saying my file was complete and would be contacted in 30 days concerning inteview decisons.

why cant every schools secondaries be like DMU haha

Members don't see this ad :)

Seriously?? I have been verified since 6/24, and I totally expected to get a secondary from them--I have received secondaries from all but 3 other schools that I applied to, and I know that they aren't out yet. I am going to call them tomorrow!
Thanks for the heads-up!

Last edited:
Seriously?? I have been verified since 6/24, and I totally expected to get a secondary from them--I have received secondaries from all but 3 other schools that I applied to, and I know that they aren't out yet. I am going to call them tomorrow!
Thanks for the heads-up!

Good idea! Sorry to hear about the delay with your application, hope you get it soon.

She said they have been having problems emailing from their database and hope to have it fixed in order to send out another batch of secondaries by Friday. Shwew!

Yay, got my first interview invite today from Des Moines :)

Just got this email from DMU-COM:

"Due to the large volume of highly competitive applicants, we have placed your file on hold. This simply means that while you are not invited to interview with us at this time, you are still under consideration for a possible interview later in the application cycle".

Doesn't surprise me. DMU-COM is a tough one....

Yay, got my first interview invite today from Des Moines :)

Was this for FasTrack, or are they offering regular interviews now? I received & completed my secondary on 7/16. If it wasn't FasTrack when did you complete the secondary? Thanks!

Was this for FasTrack, or are they offering regular interviews now? I received & completed my secondary on 7/16. If it wasn't FasTrack when did you complete the secondary? Thanks!

I was FasTracked. Sounds like Disneyland or something :laugh: But that was before my secondary was submitted. I've submitted it now, but I haven't sent my letters in. They said I just need to have it complete by the time I have my interview.

I was FasTracked. Sounds like Disneyland or something :laugh: But that was before my secondary was submitted. I've submitted it now, but I haven't sent my letters in. They said I just need to have it complete by the time I have my interview.
Thanks, and Congrats!!

It's amazing that a school like DMU sent an interview invite to people without even getting letters of recommendation. Congrats on a great application! I think DMU plays the numbers game more than most schools, considering their high entrance stats. CCOM too....

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, and Congrats!!

It's amazing that a school like DMU sent an interview invite to people without even getting letters of recommendation. Congrats on a great application! I think DMU plays the numbers game more than most schools, considering their high entrance stats. CCOM too....

Thanks! Good luck to you guys too!

Has any one sent in application to DMU but haven't heard from them? I have not received email if whether I was invited for interview, on hold, or rejected. I was complete the beginning of July.

Has any one sent in application to DMU but haven't heard from them? I have not received email if whether I was invited for interview, on hold, or rejected. I was complete the beginning of July.
Email or call them. I was complete July 7th, and the emai said in 30 days I would have a decision. I emailed them about 12 days later just to get an update (because I heard a couple people got interviews already) and the next day got an email saying I was "on hold" but not rejected.

I'm sure the same will happen to you if you contact them.

hmm thanks!

Email or call them. I was complete July 7th, and the emai said in 30 days I would have a decision. I emailed them about 12 days later just to get an update (because I heard a couple people got interviews already) and the next day got an email saying I was "on hold" but not rejected.

I'm sure the same will happen to you if you contact them.

hmm thanks!

Guess I could have phrased that better actually. Didn't mean the same thing would happen where you would be placed on hold but that you would probably get a status update if you contact them!!

O dont worry wannabeado,
u will get the interview next week hopefully :xf:
meow

Just got and turned in this secondary today! My first submitted DO app! wa-hoo! Also my top choice. hope hope hope. . .

Just got an e-mail for an interview invite. I logged in right away and scheduled it for Friday, Sept. 4th. I would have done the 3rd but Friday works better for me. I am super excited....this is a great school!!!!

What does Fastrack mean? I got a interview today for Sept 11th, but not sure if they looked at my secondary app or not... I submitted my letters last week.. and my app a week ago also...

Just got an e-mail for an interview invite. I logged in right away and scheduled it for Friday, Sept. 4th. I would have done the 3rd but Friday works better for me. I am super excited....this is a great school!!!!

Congrats on the interview!!!!

What does Fastrack mean? I got a interview today for Sept 11th, but not sure if they looked at my secondary app or not... I submitted my letters last week.. and my app a week ago also...

One the email to interview will say fast track. If it doesn't say fast track on any of your email than you were given an interview through regular admissions.

Does anybody know the interview statistics on how many people get accepted after that interview??

I was reading the 2008-2009 thread, and I noticed a lot of people got placed on hold after their interview. Does this mean they interview a lot of people?

Does anybody know the interview statistics on how many people get accepted after that interview??

I was reading the 2008-2009 thread, and I noticed a lot of people got placed on hold after their interview. Does this mean they interview a lot of people?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=13130&d=1245807398

Don't know how accurate this is, but it says 685 (out of 3273 applicants) were interviewed, 469 were accepted. Pretty good odds if you ask me. And Western/COMP?! 576 interviewed, 506 accepted?! That's crazy good odds

For those of you getting interviews (not Fastrack ones)
How long did the invite come after your app was complete?
And how long did it take them to email you saying you are complete after you turned in all your materials?

Thanks!

Two days after I was complete... I had a 3.74 and a 23.. so its kinda surprising..

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=13130&d=1245807398

Don't know how accurate this is, but it says 685 (out of 3273 applicants) were interviewed, 469 were accepted. Pretty good odds if you ask me. And Western/COMP?! 576 interviewed, 506 accepted?! That's crazy good odds

Those stats sound pretty accurate to me. I'm in the class of 2013, and when I interviewed, one of the students told me the hardest part of the application process is getting the interview. I think about 70% of those interviewed get accepted.

My class hasn't started classes yet, but if anyone ever has any questions, I'll try to help. So post your questions (or pm me)! Good luck to all of those applying this year!

got an email from DMU today: "Due to the large volume of highly competitive applicants, we have placed your file on hold" and so the waiting game continues. even though its really early in the cycle I feel like I have been waiting for years haha.

Two days after I was complete... I had a 3.74 and a 23.. so its kinda surprising..

WOW! Congrats to you!
I got my complete email two days ago. I REALLY want an interview here! I hope the interview gods are good to me. . .

For those of you getting interviews (not Fastrack ones)
How long did the invite come after your app was complete?
And how long did it take them to email you saying you are complete after you turned in all your materials?

Thanks!

My timeline will have little baring on yours. I was complete before schools started giving invites and was given one when the first round went out.

I cannot believe how blessed I have been so far this cycle.

i just got the secondary a few minutes ago. is anyboy else putting in anything on the last text box where it says is there anything else you would like us to know(optional)? just wondering if most were leaving this blank, or writing some sort of a short essay.

i just got the secondary a few minutes ago. is anyboy else putting in anything on the last text box where it says is there anything else you would like us to know(optional)? just wondering if most were leaving this blank, or writing some sort of a short essay.
I used it to write a couple of sentences expressing how strongly I felt about attending there. Must have worked, I received an interview invite a couple days later!

I did not write anything and still recieved an interview invite......so I guess it doesnt matter if you write or not....

I was recently placed on hold at DMU. When my file was initially reviewed I did not have an DO letter in my application. I have now acquired a DO letter. Do you think it would be worth it for me to ask to submit the DO letter now in hopes of getting an interview?

absolutely turn it in as fast as you can and good luck :xf:
Meow

I was recently placed on hold at DMU. When my file was initially reviewed I did not have an DO letter in my application. I have now acquired a DO letter. Do you think it would be worth it for me to ask to submit the DO letter now in hopes of getting an interview?

Hey, I am filling out the secondary right now and I came across the Advisor's part. What are they talking about exactly? Is this referring to if you are having a committee submit a letter or something? Or is it just asking for who was your pre-med advisor in undergrad? I submitted 2 letters from my science profs instead so I don't know if it applies to me...

hey i was just wondering if you guys think i should call dmu, its one of my top choices and i still havent received a secondary my aacomas was released on 7/30 received emails from most of my schools but nothing from here and a couple others

hey i was just wondering if you guys think i should call dmu, its one of my top choices and i still havent received a secondary my aacomas was released on 7/30 received emails from most of my schools but nothing from here and a couple others

I would wait, it has hardly been a week. Schools are pretty busy at this time.

just got my interview invite today :) i was complete on aug 4! i didnt expect to hear back so quickly.

plane tickets are pretty expensive though.. $500 with one stop or $700 for non-stop. :eek: anyone book their tickets/hotels yet?

just got my interview invite today :) i was complete on aug 4! i didnt expect to hear back so quickly.

plane tickets are pretty expensive though.. $500 with one stop or $700 for non-stop. :eek: anyone book their tickets/hotels yet?

congrats!

Fly into Kansas City, rent a car, and drive straight up I-35 for 2 hours...much cheaper. Also, stay at Heartland Inn on Fleur...cheapest digs if you mention you're on a DMU interview (but not much to do around that area).

Hey Boner, do you know where the 3rd and 4th year students do their rotations? Is it all based in rural communities or is there a combination of city environment in Des Moines with rural?

Fly into Kansas City, rent a car, and drive straight up I-35 for 2 hours...much cheaper. Also, stay at Heartland Inn on Fleur...cheapest digs if you mention you're on a DMU interview (but not much to do around that area).

I would say 3 hours, but I agree. This is way smarter

how long after your guy's aacomas was verified did you get the secondary? mine has been released for two weeks now and nothing yet. i know im just being paranoid haha but this school is in my top three. lets hope it comes soon :xf: thanks

how long after your guy's aacomas was verified did you get the secondary? mine has been released for two weeks now and nothing yet. i know im just being paranoid haha but this school is in my top three. lets hope it comes soon :xf: thanks

I received mine 2 days after being verified. I was verified last week.