DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the secondary two days after being verified...if we did not get the fast-track interview, how long do you think we can expect to wait before hearing something about an interview...

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Boner, do you know where the 3rd and 4th year students do their rotations? Is it all based in rural communities or is there a combination of city environment in Des Moines with rural?

You can do rotations in Des Moines at various locations. My rotations are split between Broadlawns (county hospital) and Mercy (giant hospital system in the state, ~1000 bed hospital).
You can do rotations in rural areas if that's what you want. In fact, DMU has a rural medicine track for those that plan on practicing in rural communities. You can leave Des Moines and go to a hospital in a smaller town like Fort Dodge, etc... But the vast majority of rotations are not rural, unless you choose them to be.
You can leave the state and go to St. Louis, hospitals in the Detroit area, or hospitals in all of the major Ohio metro areas (Columbus, Cleveland, Dayton, Toledo).

You can do rotations in Des Moines at various locations. My rotations are split between Broadlawns (county hospital) and Mercy (giant hospital system in the state, ~1000 bed hospital).
You can do rotations in rural areas if that's what you want. In fact, DMU has a rural medicine track for those that plan on practicing in rural communities. You can leave Des Moines and go to a hospital in a smaller town like Fort Dodge, etc... But the vast majority of rotations are not rural, unless you choose them to be.
You can leave the state and go to St. Louis, hospitals in the Detroit area, or hospitals in all of the major Ohio metro areas (Columbus, Cleveland, Dayton, Toledo).

Thank you for the information, I actually would prefer more of a city environment, or more so of the big hospitals (1000 bed hospital sounds great to me).

Members don't see this ad :)
Governor Branstad, the current president of DMU announced he's thinking of running for governor in 2010. He was previous governor of Iowa for several terms, and has been off for several terms now. I know he has done great things for DMU. Wonder what that means for the college?

Governor Branstad, the current president of DMU announced he's thinking of running for governor in 2010. He was previous governor of Iowa for several terms, and has been off for several terms now. I know he has done great things for DMU. Wonder what that means for the college?

My personal opinion is that it could do a lot of good. From what I gather out and about on the streets of DSM, most people do not like Chet Culver and are actually quite excited that Branstad might run. Branstad's 16 years as governor are seen as very positive by most. Being the president of a graduate level healthcare university is only going to help with the current political focus on healthcare; he's done a lot to boost primary care in the state, especially in rural areas through programs at DMU.
If he runs, not only is it going to bring a lot of national attention to DMU, but if he wins it could bring a lot more $$ to DMU (which is what he did anyway when he became president of DMU).

For the people that have been invited for an interview, how long did it take for you guys to hear back after your secondary had been submitted?

For the people that have been invited for an interview, how long did it take for you guys to hear back after your secondary had been submitted?

submitted secondary: 7/28
complete email: 8/4
interview invite: 8/7

hope this helps! :luck:

submitted secondary: 7/28
complete email: 8/4
interview invite: 8/7

hope this helps! :luck:

Thanks! It does, I was completed like last Friday and I was just curious how long it took some other people.

2 days

does anyone know the percentage of applicants that get interviews here?

hey guys,
this is sort of a stupid question,
but for the DMU secondaries, where it asks for your letter writer's first/last name and title,
for the title, do I type in Dr./Mr./Mrs., or do i type in D.O./M.D./PhD?
also, do I type in my advisor's info only if she wrote a letter for me?

hey guys,
but for the DMU secondaries, where it asks for your letter writer's first/last name and title,

I actually had a similar question about the advisor info part since my advisor did not write me a letter. I called DMU and they told me that they just wanted your undergrads pre-professional advisors information, and it had nothing to do with if they wrote you a letter or not. Although my advisor retired, so she just told me to list N/A, so it isn't a big deal either way.

hey guys,

For the title, I just used physician, professor, associate professor and etc. DMU adcom told me to just write the name and address of my undergraduate's pre-health advisor so they can send them an email or letter thanking them if I was accepted. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys...this is probably a really dumb question but i just got an email from DMU saying "we invite you to come discover DMU" and it lists a schedule for the day and stuff...is that an interview invite? or is this just something they schedule for all prospective students? i have not received any interviews yet so i dont know what they look like!

hey guys...this is probably a really dumb question but i just got an email from DMU saying "we invite you to come discover DMU" and it lists a schedule for the day and stuff...is that an interview invite? or is this just something they schedule for all prospective students? i have not received any interviews yet so i dont know what they look like!

ugh the more i look at it...i don't think its an interview invite :(

The email subject was something like "DMU invites you to interview" i believe... and if it was an I.I. theyd def make it clear... but d.w. still can happen !

ugh the more i look at it...i don't think its an interview invite :(

It's not, sorry. I got it as well, and already have an interview invite. This is an intro to the school for multiple degree programs.

It's not, sorry. I got it as well, and already have an interview invite. This is an intro to the school for multiple degree programs.

Speaking of which, I have been completed for 2 weeks now and the e-mail specified that they would contact me about my status within 30 days. If I don't hear anything after this week would you suggest I contact them or just sit tight? I haven't heard anything at all yet.

It's not an interview invite, sorry! It is an open-house that they have 2-3 times/year. If you get a chance, go!! I've been before and it is really a great event.

Does DMU allow first or second year students to have early clinical exposure with patients, physician shadowing, and etc.? Any current students have input?

Does DMU allow first or second year students to have early clinical exposure with patients, physician shadowing, and etc.? Any current students have input?

Those are some good questions, I am curious as well.

Just got an interview invite! I'm psyched!!

SR: 8/5/09
SS: 8/5/09
Complete: 8/7/09
II: 8/28/09

Just got an interview invite! I'm psyched!!

SR: 8/5/09
SS: 8/5/09
Complete: 8/7/09
II: 8/28/09

Ahhh congrats. I'm so jealous.

Was anyone else here put on hold? has anyone on hold received an interview yet?

Anyone got an interview in NC? I still am waiting to schedule in case flights go down. At this point I am going to have to pay 400, and hope I don't have to rent a rental car on top of that cost. I would love to drive, but I will not be capable of it alone.

Interview invitation! I'm psyched!

I was complete early to mid August.

Woohoo I got an interview ...I'M PSYCHED :Dthis is one of my top choices

SR/SS: 8/13
Complete: 8/17
II: 8/28

First off, congrats to all those who have received interview invites! That's awesome. And for those of you on hold, hang in there. I hope you guys get pulled from the list soon!

Yeah, DMU definitely allows first and second years to have early clinical exposure, shadowing. Us first years have only been in school for three weeks, and we just had our first SPAL (Standardized Patient Simulator Lab) this week. SPALs are when you go and pretend that you are a physician and there is a patient actor. This first one was just pass/fail, so it eased us into this new type of role. It's actually a really good experience and you learn a lot.

And there are plenty of other opportunities to get clinical exposure. For instance, DMU has an extracurricular activity/club called OFL (Osteopathic Finish Line). Here, you provide free OMM to runners after they complete various races in Des Moines. I did one on the first Saturday after school started. The second years and OMM professors showed us how to do some techniques, and we actually got to work on patients. So that's two clinical experiences in the first three weeks of school.

Also, there are tons of other opportunities to get involved in clinical settings. Many clubs on campus volunteer at different places around the city where students can do simple things like take vitals, etc. And you can definitely do shadowing experience if you want. Oh yeah, and the OB/GYN club has a thing where you can meet with newly pregnant women (often teenage mothers to be) on a regular basis and just spend time with them. There are many more experiences that you can do.

If you guys have any questions about the interviews, let me know. But it might take me a little while to get back to you. We have an exam on Monday.

First off, congrats to all those who have received interview invites! That's awesome. And for those of you on hold, hang in there. I hope you guys get pulled from the list soon!

Yeah, DMU definitely allows first and second years to have early clinical exposure, shadowing. Us first years have only been in school for three weeks, and we just had our first SPAL (Standardized Patient Simulator Lab) this week. SPALs are when you go and pretend that you are a physician and there is a patient actor. This first one was just pass/fail, so it eased us into this new type of role. It's actually a really good experience and you learn a lot.

And there are plenty of other opportunities to get clinical exposure. For instance, DMU has an extracurricular activity/club called OFL (Osteopathic Finish Line). Here, you provide free OMM to runners after they complete various races in Des Moines. I did one on the first Saturday after school started. The second years and OMM professors showed us how to do some techniques, and we actually got to work on patients. So that's two clinical experiences in the first three weeks of school.

Also, there are tons of other opportunities to get involved in clinical settings. Many clubs on campus volunteer at different places around the city where students can do simple things like take vitals, etc. And you can definitely do shadowing experience if you want. Oh yeah, and the OB/GYN club has a thing where you can meet with newly pregnant women (often teenage mothers to be) on a regular basis and just spend time with them. There are many more experiences that you can do.

If you guys have any questions about the interviews, let me know. But it might take me a little while to get back to you. We have an exam on Monday.

I am curious, I was completed 2 in a half weeks ago with my secondary and I still haven't heard back yet. The e-mail suggests that I will be contacted within 30 days of completion, do you think I should call them to see if there was an issue?

I am curious, I was completed 2 in a half weeks ago with my secondary and I still haven't heard back yet. The e-mail suggests that I will be contacted within 30 days of completion, do you think I should call them to see if there was an issue?

Have you received the "Complete" email? If so, maybe just hang tight. I'm sure they'll make a decision soon. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

I just got an interview invite today!!

I made the appointment for Sept 24.

Wait for the 30 days to pass- then call.

do you absolutely need a letter from a DO to apply? I see on their website it says from a health care provider that you have had medical experience with, so that the applicant knows why they want to get into osteopathic medicine. kind of confused whether you need a DO letter or if it is just strongly recommended?

Interview invite received today! So excited! Interview scheduled for October 2nd!

Now heres the question:

Whos gunna be @ DMU next week ??!?!

I'm driving down Thursday morning for interview Friday morning. Staying at the Motel six for $35/night. Wish me luck, hope I make it out of there ok lol.

Thanks for the info! I'm really excited for the interview. This school sounds great!

anyone know the acceptance % for interviewed applicants?

Why do so many people like DMU? I have an interview at DMU 2 weeks from now, and if I get accepted into LECOM by then, I don't plan on going. Could I have some reasons on why people like DMU so much? What's so special about the location, the facilities, etc.?

Why do so many people like DMU? I have an interview at DMU 2 weeks from now, and if I get accepted into LECOM by then, I don't plan on going. Could I have some reasons on why people like DMU so much? What's so special about the location, the facilities, etc.?

Its basically the bomb. Great facilities, great teachers (so far :rolleyes:), great board scores (2nd best average in the nation for COMLEX I is the rumor among the faculty..), great atmosphere, etc etc..you should definitely pay a visit. You won't regret it.

Oh, and Des Moines is a nice place too :thumbup:

It took me 6 weeks to hear back. Don't stress yet.

Its basically the bomb. Great facilities, great teachers (so far :rolleyes:), great board scores (2nd best average in the nation for COMLEX I is the rumor among the faculty..), great atmosphere, etc etc..you should definitely pay a visit. You won't regret it.

Oh, and Des Moines is a nice place too :thumbup:

I thought LECOM-Bradenton was #2 for the past few years. A current student posted that last years was 550. What was DMU's??

I thought LECOM-Bradenton was #2 for the past few years. A current student posted that last years was 550. What was DMU's??

I have no published data..The number I heard was around 550 (554, maybe???), I can't quite recall what it was. That was what my advisor told me the dean said, :rolleyes:. Apparently it was a very close second.. Buut I sense a lot of second hand information here, the rumor mill is flowing :laugh:. Either way, very respectable scores however you look at it.

I'm sorry if this question is repeated. ON DMU secondary application, did you guys write anything for the section "other things that you want to tell (optional)"?

I'm sorry if this question is repeated. ON DMU secondary application, did you guys write anything for the section "other things that you want to tell (optional)"?

I wrote a few reasons on why I wanted to go to DMU and why they were one of my top choices.