DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sorry if this question is repeated. ON DMU secondary application, did you guys write anything for the section "other things that you want to tell (optional)"?

i didn't and im interviewing next week :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question for those interviewing. Where are you guys staying? I saw on the website that a link to student hosting will be sent with the confirmation but I have yet to receive it. Do you know if student hosting is available? Thanks a ton!

Edit: I found it. It's at http://www.dmu.edu/com/admissions/interviewinfo/hosts.cfm

Last edited:
Quick question for those interviewing. Where are you guys staying? I saw on the website that a link to student hosting will be sent with the confirmation but I have yet to receive it. Do you know if student hosting is available? Thanks a ton!

Edit: I found it. It's at http://www.dmu.edu/com/admissions/interviewinfo/hosts.cfm

I am also interested, just got the invite today.

Also, I don't know if this was an issue for anyone else but in regards to scheduling are the dates in green the available ones?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think so. Read somewhere that they only interview on Thursdays and Fridays and they're the green ones, I believe.

I am also interested, just got the invite today.

Also, I don't know if this was an issue for anyone else but in regards to scheduling are the dates in green the available ones?

:thumbup:

Congrats on the invite. I know you were getting anxious.

Does anyone know what this fasTrack is? I received an email saying I was granted an interview because I was put on the fasTrack without even sending LOR or a supplemental yet.

Is it just based on gpa and mcat or actual application?

Heading do DMU tonight for my interview tomorrow. Anyone else?

I am staying at the downtown marriott

Heading do DMU tonight for my interview tomorrow. Anyone else?

I am staying at the downtown marriott

Best of luck to you in your interview! Keep us posted on how it went.

Best of luck to you in your interview! Keep us posted on how it went.

Ditto on that, I was reviewing the interview feedback from last year and I was hoping that some of the people that are interviewing in September could leave some feedback so we can all compare. See if there is any differences.

Good Luck!

So I got an e-mail saying that they aren't going to invite me to an interview right now but my application is still on hold and they may invite me later. How often does it actually happen that people who are put on hold get interviews? Does anyone know?

I'll be in des moines tmw nite at downtown mariot any1?

I think I'm going to stay there for my Oct. 1 interview, will you let us know how it is and if the shuttle to campus/airport all works out ok?

Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm going to stay there for my Oct. 1 interview, will you let us know how it is and if the shuttle to campus/airport all works out ok?

Good Luck!

My Interview is on Oct. 1st too, did you already book your stay at the hotel? I am not sure if I should take care of that now or if it is ok to wait a week or so.

My Interview is on Oct. 1st too, did you already book your stay at the hotel? I am not sure if I should take care of that now or if it is ok to wait a week or so.

I think it's safe to wait (that's what I'm doing) because its not like there is a big conference that would book out the hotel. They probably only have about 10-20 of us coming I would think. Anyway, DMU looks pretty awesome, I'm looking forward to seeing it. :thumbup:

and there are plenty of hotels in des moines...plus, if you wait you can get a steal on priceline.

I am stunned by DMU, just stunned. They just moved to my #1 spot. Beautiful facilities, great technology, happy students. Not to mention an awesome gym.

I stayed at the marriott downtown on the 27th floor. What a great trip. Low stress interview. I go to NSU on Monday, and my standards have been set high by DMU.

The interview was low stress, more of a getting to know you kind of interview, and it is in a great part of town, lots of housing close by. It was great to meet all you SDN'ers I met there.

I would post specifics on my interview questions, but most were very generic, why dmu, why medicine, etc, and the rest were specific to my application, other than asking my views on the current healthcare debate. It was not confrontational, just asking my opinion.

I really hope I get in.

I am stunned by DMU, just stunned. They just moved to my #1 spot. Beautiful facilities, great technology, happy students. Not to mention an awesome gym.

I stayed at the marriott downtown on the 27th floor. What a great trip. Low stress interview. I go to NSU on Monday, and my standards have been set high by DMU.

The interview was low stress, more of a getting to know you kind of interview, and it is in a great part of town, lots of housing close by. It was great to meet all you SDN'ers I met there.

I would post specifics on my interview questions, but most were very generic, why dmu, why medicine, etc, and the rest were specific to my application, other than asking my views on the current healthcare debate. It was not confrontational, just asking my opinion.

I really hope I get in.

Thanks for the update. My friend who interviewed there last year had only good things to say as well. Having a great gym is a huge plus for me too, even though it may seem not relevant. Anyways, did you fill out a feedback thing on SDN? If not, what current healthcare debate questions did they ask? Anything on the health reform?

Thanks for the update. My friend who interviewed there last year had only good things to say as well. Having a great gym is a huge plus for me too, even though it may seem not relevant. Anyways, did you fill out a feedback thing on SDN? If not, what current healthcare debate questions did they ask? Anything on the health reform?

It was an open-ended question, essentially asking how I felt about the current healthcare situation, and my answer discussed reform. I have not yet filled out the feedback, but am planning on it.

I really hope I get in.

awesome! i can't wait for my interview. sounds awesome. perhaps we'll be classmates :thumbup:

Glad to read people enjoyed there interviews here at DMU. If you will be interviewing here just relax and enjoy the campus, it will definetly bode well for you during the interview. I remember being pretty nervous before hand but the people here are awesome. The student body is extremely friendly and I would put our facilities up against any other med school in the nation.

Best of luck to those visiting campus in the future!

Just got an e-mail for an interview. Set up interview on October 9th. Hope to see some other sdn applicants there as well.

In case you wanted to know, you will be surrounded by a very smart, driven and supportive group of peers should you decide to come here:

http://www.dmu.edu/com/do/class_profile/

And one of our profs stated today that our classes' average gpa is higher than U of Iowa's 1st year class. :cool:. Sucka's.

yay! just got an invite..it is my first one! im having trouble scheduling a date...once we click on a date, then what? i dont see anything that says "submit" ...i only see "cancel" at the bottom

yay! just got an invite..it is my first one! im having trouble scheduling a date...once we click on a date, then what? i dont see anything that says "submit" ...i only see "cancel" at the bottom

I had trouble with it too, click a date and then look at the bottom and you will see a time slot. If it is not a button that means that the date is filled up.

I had trouble with it too, click a date and then look at the bottom and you will see a time slot. If it is not a button that means that the date is filled up.

ohhh okay, i see it now. thanks!

I got an invite today too! I'm scheduled for Oct. 9th. Anyone else interviewing that day? Super excited!

DMU is my #1 choice after the tour and interview today. EVERYONE was so nice. No ego, drama, attitude from ANYONE. Dr. Mueller was Very funny and helped ease everyone into the day. I was extremely nervous walking into the building in the morning. After the meet and greet I felt like as if I were already a student at DMU and knew everyone for a long time. My student tour guide was great. Showed us all the facilities in less than 20 minutes and brought us back to the waiting section right on time to be called in for the interview. FRIDAY TACO DAY is the best! Huge taco shell bowl, two different types of meat with liquid and shredded cheese. The food at DMU is enough reason for me to attend lol.

I'm concerned with how my interview went. I left campus feeling really confident, however, during my 6 hour drive home I started dissecting all my answers and realized I was too humorous the entire time. Everyone was laughing, laid back, and relaxed, but I feel like I made one too many humorous comments. I wanted to start off with a professional personality, but the interviewers said it should be a very relaxed conversation. After they all cracked some jokes here and there the "Chandler" (from Friends) in me started to bubble out. Everyone was laughing and joking along with me and all, but I'm afraid it may have came off as immaturity instead of personality. In the end, it's a medical school interview. I shouldn't have made it like a friendly conversation no matter how relaxed they said it should have been :(

Any current students @ DMU ever had an interview like this? Seeing as this was my first interview, if I get rejected in 2 weeks, at least I"ll know not to be the "funny" guy at the rest of my interviews. I don't know... I think it was immature of me, but Dr. Mueller was VERY funny and still seemed very professional. Guess it's just a delicate balance? Any opinions? p.s. no, I didn't make inappropriate jokes, just humorous side remarks building off their humorous comments.

Example:
Me: at a certain angle driving in on the highway toward downtown des moines, it looked like the skyline from chicago.
Interviewer: yeah only at that angle.
(everyone laughs)

20 minutes after asking me about my biggest weakness:
Interviewer: so I saw on your application that your mother's a chef? That must have been nice...
Me: Absolutely, I guess my other weakness if for my mother's cooking.
(everyone laughs)

Immaturity or personality? Hope it's the latter... :confused:

DMU is my #1 choice after the tour and interview today. EVERYONE was so nice. No ego, drama, attitude from ANYONE. Dr. Mueller was Very funny and helped ease everyone into the day. I was extremely nervous walking into the building in the morning. After the meet and greet I felt like as if I were already a student at DMU and knew everyone for a long time. My student tour guide was great. Showed us all the facilities in less than 20 minutes and brought us back to the waiting section right on time to be called in for the interview. FRIDAY TACO DAY is the best! Huge taco shell bowl, two different types of meat with liquid and shredded cheese. The food at DMU is enough reason for me to attend lol.

I'm concerned with how my interview went. I left campus feeling really confident, however, during my 6 hour drive home I started dissecting all my answers and realized I was too humorous the entire time. Everyone was laughing, laid back, and relaxed, but I feel like I made one too many humorous comments. I wanted to start off with a professional personality, but the interviewers said it should be a very relaxed conversation. After they all cracked some jokes here and there the "Chandler" (from Friends) in me started to bubble out. Everyone was laughing and joking along with me and all, but I'm afraid it may have came off as immaturity instead of personality. In the end, it's a medical school interview. I shouldn't have made it like a friendly conversation no matter how relaxed they said it should have been :(

Any current students @ DMU ever had an interview like this? Seeing as this was my first interview, if I get rejected in 2 weeks, at least I"ll know not to be the "funny" guy at the rest of my interviews. I don't know... I think it was immature of me, but Dr. Mueller was VERY funny and still seemed very professional. Guess it's just a delicate balance? Any opinions? p.s. no, I didn't make inappropriate jokes, just humorous side remarks building off their humorous comments.

Example:
Me: at a certain angle driving in on the highway toward downtown des moines, it looked like the skyline from chicago.
Interviewer: yeah only at that angle.
(everyone laughs)

20 minutes after asking me about my biggest weakness:
Interviewer: so I saw on your application that your mother's a chef? That must have been nice...
Me: Absolutely, I guess my other weakness if for my mother's cooking.
(everyone laughs)

Immaturity or personality? Hope it's the latter... :confused:

everything u just talked about is so something i would do. i will def be dissecting my whole interview afterwards on my 5 hour drive back to chicago as well! I think that your funny comments were totally fine and appropriate!! I think it's good that you showed a sense of humor bc it shows you are just a normal, genuine person and not a robot. Your comments were pretty funny...the chicago thing was esp funny lol. I wouldn't worry about it (although if it was me, i would be acting the EXACT same way!) I'm sure you did well and you will be receiving an admission offer! Good luck and don't worry! :)

Thanks for the words of encouragement Ari! I guess I can put these negative thoughts away for the night and go to bed. We'll see in two weeks... I'll definitely keep you guys updated.

I wanted to let everyone know that last night I called to make my reservation at the Marriott Downtown for my interview on October 1 and they were sold out of the discounted rooms. Apparently there are only a certain number that they keep at that rate and the hotel was completely sold out anyway. Then the Renaissance was fluctuating between sold out and available. Just letting everyone know that you may want to book your rooms way ahead and you can cancel up until 6 pm the night before with no fee at most places.

Also, the lady at Marriott said that if the reservations will only give you a room at the full $179 go ahead and take it and then when you check in tell them you need the DMU rate and they will give it to you.

I wanted to let everyone know that last night I called to make my reservation at the Marriott Downtown for my interview on October 1 and they were sold out of the discounted rooms. Apparently there are only a certain number that they keep at that rate and the hotel was completely sold out anyway. Then the Renaissance was fluctuating between sold out and available. Just letting everyone know that you may want to book your rooms way ahead and you can cancel up until 6 pm the night before with no fee at most places.

Also, the lady at Marriott said that if the reservations will only give you a room at the full $179 go ahead and take it and then when you check in tell them you need the DMU rate and they will give it to you.

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express and the room was nice for one night. Parking was easy as well as getting to the school took about 4 minutes. If you want to save money stay here.

My interview is on the 1st as well, that is kind of crappy news about the Marriott... did she say what the DMU rate was? I might just stay at teh Holiday Inn haha, it is pretty close?

My interview is on the 1st as well, that is kind of crappy news about the Marriott... did she say what the DMU rate was? I might just stay at teh Holiday Inn haha, it is pretty close?

The pdf on DMU's website says the rate is 79 but it must have changed because reservations at Marriott said it was 96. Renaissance is 86 just fyi. I won't have a car so I was looking for places with complimentary airport shuttle and stuff like that.

The pdf on DMU's website says the rate is 79 but it must have changed because reservations at Marriott said it was 96. Renaissance is 86 just fyi. I won't have a car so I was looking for places with complimentary airport shuttle and stuff like that.

Those are reasonable. I just hope that they don't screw you when you actually get there and say "oh, we can't do the DMU rate blah blah blah." But I think I will give them a call and do the same thing. I will have a car, so I guess I will have more options?

The open file is definitely intimidating. Sucks when they can see every C you've ever gotten and then stare you straight in the eye lol while asking you a question.

I used priceline name you own price, and paid $51 total for the downtown marriott. 27th floor. King sized bed. Awesome.

Just submitted my secondary for this school..I really should've submitted many weeks ago (I had spent too much money on other apps, was waiting on one more LOR, etc) and I hope DMU doesn't hold it against me. This sounds like a great school.
With all the invites and interviews people are getting,I feel like I'm pretty 'late' in the game here (by SDN standards anyway;))

i paid 78 for the marriot from priceline name your own price

I used priceline name you own price, and paid $51 total for the downtown marriott. 27th floor. King sized bed. Awesome.

Taking that into account for sure!

Did you just click the 3 1/2 stars option when you named your price?

yea i did, at first i offered like 49 but they didnt take that and said if you offer 14 dollars more you can resubmit so i just did it, saved a little money

In case you wanted to know, you will be surrounded by a very smart, driven and supportive group of peers should you decide to come here:

And one of our profs stated today that our classes' average gpa is higher than U of Iowa's 1st year class. :cool:. Sucka's.

too bad you can't accurately compare U of Iowa's average GPA to DMU's. DMU uses AACOMAS while Iowa uses AMCAS. everyone knows that a significant # of ppl have a higher AACOMAS GPA than AMCAS one because AACOMAS erases bad grades from retaken classes. so, the AACOMAS GPA that DMU reports is inflated and cannot be compared to Iowa's.

also, Iowa's average MCAT is 32 while DMU's is 27.

I think I made my point hehehe.

but yeah, DMU sounds awesome. i'm excited myself! I've only heard great things about it!!

too bad you can't accurately compare U of Iowa's average GPA to DMU's. DMU uses AACOMAS while Iowa uses AMCAS. everyone knows that a significant # of ppl have a higher AACOMAS GPA than AMCAS one because AACOMAS erases bad grades from retaken classes. so, the AACOMAS GPA that DMU reports is inflated and cannot be compared to Iowa's.

also, Iowa's average MCAT is 32 while DMU's is 27.

I think I made my point hehehe.

but yeah, DMU sounds awesome. i'm excited myself! I've only heard great things about it!!

This is true, but it puts DMU's averages significantly higher than many osteopatchic schools.

The class of 2013 has a 3.70 average overall GPA and a 3.66 average science GPA.

:eek: I am definitely below the GPA average. Now I'm wondering if I should bother filling out this secondary :(

:eek: I am definitely below the GPA average. Now I'm wondering if I should bother filling out this secondary :(

Average is average. That means that about half of the student body has below a 3.7. Unless you have below a 3.2 (in this case I wouldn't apply anywhere) I'd say to go for it. I am sure that you have other strenths in your application.

I interviewed here, and I loved it too! It was my first interview, so I don't have anything to compare it to yet, but their facilities were awesome, and their students seemed to really love it! I'm very very impressed! Also like the location! I really like the surgical skills lab, too, and I think it'd be a lot of fun. Also was neat to see an OMM demo (makes me actually think I'd like OMM!) Hoping for good news from DMU.... :xf: But everyone on my interview day seemed like nice, normal, friendly people. It scares me thinking how they're going to try and pick!