Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sorry if this question is repeated. ON DMU secondary application, did you guys write anything for the section "other things that you want to tell (optional)"?
i didn't and im interviewing next week 👍
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I'm sorry if this question is repeated. ON DMU secondary application, did you guys write anything for the section "other things that you want to tell (optional)"?
Quick question for those interviewing. Where are you guys staying? I saw on the website that a link to student hosting will be sent with the confirmation but I have yet to receive it. Do you know if student hosting is available? Thanks a ton!
Edit: I found it. It's at http://www.dmu.edu/com/admissions/interviewinfo/hosts.cfm
I am also interested, just got the invite today.
Also, I don't know if this was an issue for anyone else but in regards to scheduling are the dates in green the available ones?
👍
Congrats on the invite. I know you were getting anxious.
Heading do DMU tonight for my interview tomorrow. Anyone else?
I am staying at the downtown marriott
Best of luck to you in your interview! Keep us posted on how it went.
I'll be in des moines tmw nite at downtown mariot any1?
I think I'm going to stay there for my Oct. 1 interview, will you let us know how it is and if the shuttle to campus/airport all works out ok?
Good Luck!
My Interview is on Oct. 1st too, did you already book your stay at the hotel? I am not sure if I should take care of that now or if it is ok to wait a week or so.
I am stunned by DMU, just stunned. They just moved to my #1 spot. Beautiful facilities, great technology, happy students. Not to mention an awesome gym.
I stayed at the marriott downtown on the 27th floor. What a great trip. Low stress interview. I go to NSU on Monday, and my standards have been set high by DMU.
The interview was low stress, more of a getting to know you kind of interview, and it is in a great part of town, lots of housing close by. It was great to meet all you SDN'ers I met there.
I would post specifics on my interview questions, but most were very generic, why dmu, why medicine, etc, and the rest were specific to my application, other than asking my views on the current healthcare debate. It was not confrontational, just asking my opinion.
I really hope I get in.
Thanks for the update. My friend who interviewed there last year had only good things to say as well. Having a great gym is a huge plus for me too, even though it may seem not relevant. Anyways, did you fill out a feedback thing on SDN? If not, what current healthcare debate questions did they ask? Anything on the health reform?
I am stunned by DMU, just stunned. They just moved to my #1 spot. Beautiful facilities, great technology, happy students. Not to mention an awesome gym.
I stayed at the marriott downtown on the 27th floor. What a great trip. Low stress interview. I go to NSU on Monday, and my standards have been set high by DMU.
The interview was low stress, more of a getting to know you kind of interview, and it is in a great part of town, lots of housing close by. It was great to meet all you SDN'ers I met there.
I would post specifics on my interview questions, but most were very generic, why dmu, why medicine, etc, and the rest were specific to my application, other than asking my views on the current healthcare debate. It was not confrontational, just asking my opinion.
I really hope I get in.
yay! just got an invite..it is my first one! im having trouble scheduling a date...once we click on a date, then what? i dont see anything that says "submit" ...i only see "cancel" at the bottom
I had trouble with it too, click a date and then look at the bottom and you will see a time slot. If it is not a button that means that the date is filled up.
yay! just got an invite..it is my first one! im having trouble scheduling a date...once we click on a date, then what? i dont see anything that says "submit" ...i only see "cancel" at the bottom
DMU is my #1 choice after the tour and interview today. EVERYONE was so nice. No ego, drama, attitude from ANYONE. Dr. Mueller was Very funny and helped ease everyone into the day. I was extremely nervous walking into the building in the morning. After the meet and greet I felt like as if I were already a student at DMU and knew everyone for a long time. My student tour guide was great. Showed us all the facilities in less than 20 minutes and brought us back to the waiting section right on time to be called in for the interview. FRIDAY TACO DAY is the best! Huge taco shell bowl, two different types of meat with liquid and shredded cheese. The food at DMU is enough reason for me to attend lol.
I'm concerned with how my interview went. I left campus feeling really confident, however, during my 6 hour drive home I started dissecting all my answers and realized I was too humorous the entire time. Everyone was laughing, laid back, and relaxed, but I feel like I made one too many humorous comments. I wanted to start off with a professional personality, but the interviewers said it should be a very relaxed conversation. After they all cracked some jokes here and there the "Chandler" (from Friends) in me started to bubble out. Everyone was laughing and joking along with me and all, but I'm afraid it may have came off as immaturity instead of personality. In the end, it's a medical school interview. I shouldn't have made it like a friendly conversation no matter how relaxed they said it should have been 🙁
Any current students @ DMU ever had an interview like this? Seeing as this was my first interview, if I get rejected in 2 weeks, at least I"ll know not to be the "funny" guy at the rest of my interviews. I don't know... I think it was immature of me, but Dr. Mueller was VERY funny and still seemed very professional. Guess it's just a delicate balance? Any opinions? p.s. no, I didn't make inappropriate jokes, just humorous side remarks building off their humorous comments.
Example:
Me: at a certain angle driving in on the highway toward downtown des moines, it looked like the skyline from chicago.
Interviewer: yeah only at that angle.
(everyone laughs)
20 minutes after asking me about my biggest weakness:
Interviewer: so I saw on your application that your mother's a chef? That must have been nice...
Me: Absolutely, I guess my other weakness if for my mother's cooking.
(everyone laughs)
Immaturity or personality? Hope it's the latter... 😕
We'll see in two weeks...
I wanted to let everyone know that last night I called to make my reservation at the Marriott Downtown for my interview on October 1 and they were sold out of the discounted rooms. Apparently there are only a certain number that they keep at that rate and the hotel was completely sold out anyway. Then the Renaissance was fluctuating between sold out and available. Just letting everyone know that you may want to book your rooms way ahead and you can cancel up until 6 pm the night before with no fee at most places.
Also, the lady at Marriott said that if the reservations will only give you a room at the full $179 go ahead and take it and then when you check in tell them you need the DMU rate and they will give it to you.
I wanted to let everyone know that last night I called to make my reservation at the Marriott Downtown for my interview on October 1 and they were sold out of the discounted rooms. Apparently there are only a certain number that they keep at that rate and the hotel was completely sold out anyway. Then the Renaissance was fluctuating between sold out and available. Just letting everyone know that you may want to book your rooms way ahead and you can cancel up until 6 pm the night before with no fee at most places.
Also, the lady at Marriott said that if the reservations will only give you a room at the full $179 go ahead and take it and then when you check in tell them you need the DMU rate and they will give it to you.
My interview is on the 1st as well, that is kind of crappy news about the Marriott... did she say what the DMU rate was? I might just stay at teh Holiday Inn haha, it is pretty close?
The pdf on DMU's website says the rate is 79 but it must have changed because reservations at Marriott said it was 96. Renaissance is 86 just fyi. I won't have a car so I was looking for places with complimentary airport shuttle and stuff like that.
The pdf on DMU's website says the rate is 79 but it must have changed because reservations at Marriott said it was 96. Renaissance is 86 just fyi. I won't have a car so I was looking for places with complimentary airport shuttle and stuff like that.
I used priceline name you own price, and paid $51 total for the downtown marriott. 27th floor. King sized bed. Awesome.
i paid 78 for the marriot from priceline name your own price
Did you just click the 3 1/2 stars option when you named your price?
In case you wanted to know, you will be surrounded by a very smart, driven and supportive group of peers should you decide to come here:
http://www.dmu.edu/com/do/class_profile/
And one of our profs stated today that our classes' average gpa is higher than U of Iowa's 1st year class. 😎. Sucka's.
too bad you can't accurately compare U of Iowa's average GPA to DMU's. DMU uses AACOMAS while Iowa uses AMCAS. everyone knows that a significant # of ppl have a higher AACOMAS GPA than AMCAS one because AACOMAS erases bad grades from retaken classes. so, the AACOMAS GPA that DMU reports is inflated and cannot be compared to Iowa's.
also, Iowa's average MCAT is 32 while DMU's is 27.
I think I made my point hehehe.
but yeah, DMU sounds awesome. i'm excited myself! I've only heard great things about it!!
In case you wanted to know, you will be surrounded by a very smart, driven and supportive group of peers should you decide to come here:
http://www.dmu.edu/com/do/class_profile/
And one of our profs stated today that our classes' average gpa is higher than U of Iowa's 1st year class. 😎. Sucka's.
The class of 2013 has a 3.70 average overall GPA and a 3.66 average science GPA.
😱 I am definitely below the GPA average. Now I'm wondering if I should bother filling out this secondary 🙁
But everyone on my interview day seemed like nice, normal, friendly people. It scares me thinking how they're going to try and pick!Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.