DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interview was awesome. The facilities really are first class. The people were all very friendly as others have said and the interview was very conversational and respectful.

Members don't see this ad.

$600/mo is just rent. always keep this in mind...advertised numbers are nevery the full picture because they're advertised!

this is probably a moot point, but I got wait listed at DMU and accepted at KCUMB, so don't freak out if DMU doesn't show you some 'real' love (and by 'real' I mean an acceptance)....KCUMB is also great and they accept the majority of their interviewees. I'm definitely rootin for ya in getting the DMU though!! you're like the little version of frkybgstok, carrying on the tradition...(I only say 'little' cuz frky's name has what sounds like 'big' in it...yeah I know kinda random but whatev :laugh:)

Thanks! Haha, I don't think I could ever be as excited as Stok, especially since this is his top school period. DMU is just my top OOS, but I haven't been getting any in-state love from TX. So ya...

For the rent, approximately how much additional cost is there for things like electricity, water, air conditioning, etc? Would one expect to pay $1,000/month to cover rent + utilities?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Haha, I don't think I could ever be as excited as Stok, especially since this is his top school period. DMU is just my top OOS, but I haven't been getting any in-state love from TX. So ya...

For the rent, approximately how much additional cost is there for things like electricity, water, air conditioning, etc? Would one expect to pay $1,000/month to cover rent + utilities?

Thanks!

Haha. I am stupid for this school, and if you get accepted and don't attend, I am gonna be so pissed. Just kidding. Hopefully you get some love from Texas.

Yes $1000 should cover that. In a house, dealing with 3 kids that like to leave all the lights on to spite me, we pay about $120/mo. Water is usually included. Internet starts at $20/mo depending on speed and if you want cable/sat. I would say, depending on the apartment, $1000 is high.

Haha. I am stupid for this school, and if you get accepted and don't attend, I am gonna be so pissed. Just kidding. Hopefully you get some love from Texas.

Yes $1000 should cover that. In a house, dealing with 3 kids that like to leave all the lights on to spite me, we pay about $120/mo. Water is usually included. Internet starts at $20/mo depending on speed and if you want cable/sat. I would say, depending on the apartment, $1000 is high.

Haha, get the kids some night lights! I used to have an awesome mickey mouse night light when I was little. I wish I was still that cool. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the apartment info. Man I can't wait for DMU to notify me on my status! I'm so anxious to start looking into apartments and stuff... My taxi driver said the ones across the street from DMU are pretty good. I'd like to find one with free access to a gym or something.

EEEEEE cmon DMU! I WANNA HEAR FROM YAA. :scared:

Haha, get the kids some night lights! I used to have an awesome mickey mouse night light when I was little. I wish I was still that cool. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the apartment info. Man I can't wait for DMU to notify me on my status! I'm so anxious to start looking into apartments and stuff... My taxi driver said the ones across the street from DMU are pretty good. I'd like to find one with free access to a gym or something.

EEEEEE cmon DMU! I WANNA HEAR FROM YAA. :scared:

why? didn't the students tell you that you get free access to the DMU gym? if they didn't tell you that, you probably didn't see the gym? if not, its baller.

why? didn't the students tell you that you get free access to the DMU gym? if they didn't tell you that, you probably didn't see the gym? if not, its baller.

Oh yea we saw the DMU gym. It's really nice. I was just thinking that if I was staying up late studying in my apartment, it might be good to work out a bit as a break. I also like to get a good morning workout in, so it'd be close to my apartment room so I can take a shower and clean up after, lol. It's fine though.

I'm really craving some of that DMU cafeteria food. I had the BEST salad while I was there. omg... :laugh:

Officially 2 weeks since interviewing. This next week is going to be a nightmare... :xf:

Well it's officially two weeks now for me... I hope that next week is a good week for us!!:xf: It would make my interview next week much more relaxed if I knew I had an acceptance.

Well it's officially two weeks now for me... I hope that next week is a good week for us!!:xf: It would make my interview next week much more relaxed if I knew I had an acceptance.

Same. What interview do you have? I have KCUMB.

Oh yea we saw the DMU gym. It's really nice. I was just thinking that if I was staying up late studying in my apartment, it might be good to work out a bit as a break. I also like to get a good morning workout in, so it'd be close to my apartment room so I can take a shower and clean up after, lol. It's fine though.

I'm really craving some of that DMU cafeteria food. I had the BEST salad while I was there. omg... :laugh:

This reminded me - I had an amazing salad also! None of the other school's food can compare so far :laugh:

Any tips for preparing for the interview? any questions to be prepared for? My interview is Thursday!!

Interviewed at DMU a little more than a week ago and have had two interviews since. Comparing AZCOM and LECOM Erie....well, there really is no comparison. For the price, location, facilities, faculty, curriculum, etc. this school has impressed me and I continue to use it as the bar for my other interviews. If I don't get accepted in my home state I would be so excited and privileged to go here. Good luck all! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
NUGHHHH, I can't wait till Tuesday. Need.... oxygen....

The fact that people have gotten waitlisted is getting me so nervous and thinking about my interview. Do ya'll think that being a FastTrack invite will help my chances? This means they liked my stats right? I'm hoping my stats will make up for my interview. GAHHH!

Ok I'm being ridiculous. I'm not going crazy only for DMU (although it is an incredible school), I just NEED an acceptance under my belt as soon as possible to have the comfort that I am going to medical school.

Ahh... I feel a little better, lol.

I just wanted to say this to help ease minds. My two letter writers were both husbands of DMU faculty. One is an adjunct and one was full professor. Anyway, you guys can look back at my comments about my interview. I felt like total crap afterwards. I wanted DMU so bad and I truly felt like I blew it. When I got accepted I told my letter writers. One of them said he knew shortly after the interview because my interviewer had mentioned to his wife that I had a very strong and successful interview. I don't say this to brag, I say it because a lot of people are feeling bad about their interview, but you may have been successful. Hopefully this helps to ease some minds. I truly felt horrible and it ended up being great. I am willing to bet a good majority of you guys are in the exact same position, feeling like crap when you really did awesome.

I just wanted to say this to help ease minds. My two letter writers were both husbands of DMU faculty. One is an adjunct and one was full professor. Anyway, you guys can look back at my comments about my interview. I felt like total crap afterwards. I wanted DMU so bad and I truly felt like I blew it. When I got accepted I told my letter writers. One of them said he knew shortly after the interview because my interviewer had mentioned to his wife that I had a very strong and successful interview. I don't say this to brag, I say it because a lot of people are feeling bad about their interview, but you may have been successful. Hopefully this helps to ease some minds. I truly felt horrible and it ended up being great. I am willing to bet a good majority of you guys are in the exact same position, feeling like crap when you really did awesome.

I agree a 100 percent. You can never be sure how you did. I felt like I did horrible after mine, but it turned out they really liked me. I think many interviewers hide their true opinions/feelings during interviews very successfully. So to us, who are uder stress, it may appear that interviewers didn't like us when they actually did.

I agree a 100 percent. You can never be sure how you did. I felt like I did horrible after mine, but it turned out they really liked me. I think many interviewers hide their true opinions/feelings during interviews very successfully. So to us, who are uder stress, it may appear that interviewers didn't like us when they actually did.

Thanks for the tips Stok and Brill. I had two students and one professor as my interviewers. I think they all liked me, but I'm hoping it wasn't just a show. I just wish I could've reworded some of my answers... it came out like a buncha jibba-jabba. :laugh:

Anywho, I know I'm just overreacting... thanks for keeping me positive though. :) The days have actually been going by fairly quickly considering everything.

After my crappy interview, I emailed my interviewers thanking them for their time. I received a perfunctory "Best of luck" reply from my interivewers. I seriously thought this meant "Best of luck elsewhere". 2.5 weeks later, I received an acceptance email.

After my crappy interview, I emailed my interviewers thanking them for their time. I received a perfunctory "Best of luck" reply from my interivewers. I seriously thought this meant "Best of luck elsewhere". 2.5 weeks later, I received an acceptance email.

Nice! Ya I did the same, and received a similar response from the interviewers.

Hey guys,

I just declined my interview spot as I have been accepted elsewhere. Hopefully someone who is still waiting can get my interview spot!

Hey FrkyBgStok: I really thought you were overdoing it a bit with your love for DMU, until I interviewed there...HOLY MOLY, I LOVE that school. VERY IMPRESSIVE...Waiting is going to be tough......

Hey FrkyBgStok: I really thought you were overdoing it a bit with your love for DMU, until I interviewed there...HOLY MOLY, I LOVE that school. VERY IMPRESSIVE...Waiting is going to be tough......

Hahaha. Well I was overdoing it, but with good reason as you now see. Good luck, and hopefully I will see you in the fall.

Interview was awesome. The facilities really are first class. The people were all very friendly as others have said and the interview was very conversational and respectful.

Respectful: YES!!! Conversational: Not for me. I got a bunch of questions thrown at me, rarely with follow ups. But she had a lot of questions she wanted to ask, (read bottom of this post)

Now what are your thoughts comparing the 2 schools?

Still no clue on which one I prefer. I'm not reflecting on DMU vs. CCOM yet because I have not yet been accepted at DMU. If I do, I will feel very privileged because they are both excellent schools. I like the feel of CCOM more, but I am a Chicago girl at heart, and Chicago folk are my folk, so, *really* biased here. I do not anticipate that my location bias will be a very important in my decision though, at least I'll try for it to not be. It's all going to be about the board scores (I have yet to compare DMU vs. CCOM COMPLEX/USMLE scores)/ tuition. Plus, I'd like to practice in Chicago, and I'll have to figure out if it would be better for me to go to school in the area and establish more ties.

Also, my bf just graduated from Drake in Des Moines, and I always made fun of him for living there- Karma might just come around and bite me in the butt. Not that Des Moines is not a cool place! We're just both in love with Chi town.

Any tips for preparing for the interview? any questions to be prepared for? My interview is Thursday!!

Although some interviews are laid back, it really depends on who your interviewer is. Be ready for really tough questions & a lot of them just in case. I was ready for a tough interview when I went in- I had the answers to the following questions written out and rehursed. I heard from a few people that they got grilled to see how they handle stress. I got grilled as well, but not to see how I can handle stress. One of the interviewers nitpicked through my app and had three pages of notes on them. I actually *really loved* this part, because at every other school the interviewers seemed like they just flipped through my app a minute before I walked into the interview. This lady was on top of her game- made me feel honored :) Anyywaayyy, the interview. At one point she said something along the lines "you seem comfortable enough to where I can ask you some difficult questions" and she asked about a class I had failed (which I'm glad she did b/c I did not fail, I withdrew, so clearly that's something I need to be mentioning to other schools).

Following questions:
Why medicine?
Why osteopathic medicine?
Why DMU?
Medschool is hard, are you prepared to deal with the stress?
Also, from the interview, Iowa is a bit starved for rural docs, and the school is really looking for students who will fill those gaps. Keep that in mind.

NUGHHHH, I can't wait till Tuesday. Need.... oxygen....

The fact that people have gotten waitlisted is getting me so nervous and thinking about my interview. Do ya'll think that being a FastTrack invite will help my chances? This means they liked my stats right? I'm hoping my stats will make up for my interview. GAHHH!

Ok I'm being ridiculous. I'm not going crazy only for DMU (although it is an incredible school), I just NEED an acceptance under my belt as soon as possible to have the comfort that I am going to medical school.

Ahh... I feel a little better, lol.

I know I blew my interview, not 'I think I blew it but later found out I did great' (congrats to all for whom that was the case). They say that if you're there, the school already loves your stats and just wants to make sure you are a normal person. I was not a normal person during my interview at CCOM- I think I showed all the telltale signs of a mental breakdown. But I got accepted. So, in my unreliable opinion: FastTrack interview = good stats = you're in a good spot. I might have been a freak case though. Greatly looking forward to the potential of having my interviewers as profs... they'll probably stand on the opposite side of the room of where I sit.

And dude, it's Oct. I've heard of people *interviewing* in March and getting in, so, you're still way early in the cycle.

My advise though: read through this forum, figure out which questions people got asked, and then write them down, write down the answers, and rehearse. Even if you don't get asked those questions, it gives you a sense of control, relieves anxiety, all that wonderful Psych stuff.

I liked DMU, but I really want some insight onto why people LOVED it... I feel like I'm missing something.

I am a bit biased on the fact that I really did my research on DMU and it is the closest DO school to me.
If you would like to know why I really like DMU here are some of my reasons to help:
-great facilities (surgery lab, SPALs, sim labs, skills lab....etc)
-great community to be around, not too small but not too big either
-ability for me to apply and hoping get my masters of science in anatomy
-the plethora of EC opportunities to become involved in
-the large amount of extra classes you can take if you want
-the curriculum
-the COMLEX scores are some of the best in the country
-the great relationships the students have with each other and with the teachers (heard this multiple times from staff, students, and alumni)
-the tech savvy campus
-the great wellness center on campus, that gives you a plus one
-the ability to have services that help you study/get great notes from
-the reputation

Hopefully some of those can help you see why I really love this school and have decided to go here, among many other reasons as well.

I am a bit biased on the fact that I really did my research on DMU and it is the closest DO school to me.
If you would like to know why I really like DMU here are some of my reasons to help:
-great facilities (surgery lab, SPALs, sim labs, skills lab....etc)
-great community to be around, not too small but not too big either
-ability for me to apply and hoping get my masters of science in anatomy
-the plethora of EC opportunities to become involved in
-the large amount of extra classes you can take if you want
-the curriculum
-the COMLEX scores are some of the best in the country
-the great relationships the students have with each other and with the teachers (heard this multiple times from staff, students, and alumni)
-the tech savvy campus
-the great wellness center on campus, that gives you a plus one
-the ability to have services that help you study/get great notes from
-the reputation

Hopefully some of those can help you see why I really love this school and have decided to go here, among many other reasons as well.

I would like two 2nd the atmosphere of the school. It's the major reason why I love it. Admission staff was awesome and had some pretty big smiles that perked my day up.

I also loved the biochem prof, Tom Mueller. Students said his humor really helped with that subject. He was also the one who did the icebreaker for our group. And of the schools I went to, DMU was the only one to do icebreakers instead of letting us fend for ourselves in the waiting room. So that's pretty cool too, that they promote that easy going environment.

So does anyone know when second look comes around?? I can't wait to see what kind of people the potential class will have.

Also, my bf just graduated from Drake in Des Moines, and I always made fun of him for living there- Karma might just come around and bite me in the butt. Not that Des Moines is not a cool place! We're just both in love with Chi town.

Haha I feel a bit opposite. I like the small town/mid-size city feel that Des Moines has. Then again I am introverted so the relaxed atmosphere jived with me more. And on these interview days I try to talk to the taxi cab drivers to gauge the area a bit.

#1. Farmer's market in the downtown area every weekend and #2. traffic doesn't reach anywhere to the level of Chicago, except for that flood they had in 2008 or something. Heh he sounded so excited about it. Must have been something.

hey guys i have my interview on the october 21. I am flying in from Arizona and staying in at the marriott hotel on October 20. If anyone would like to chill that day, hit me up. Ill probably get there around 2pm or so. I will most likely be bored out of my mind and could use some company. Just let me know and ill give you my number.

Thanks,

Am I the only person that handwrote thank you letters? I feel so old school :)

Hey all,

I recently received an interview to DMU. I was hesitant to travel out to Des Moines, but after reading several threads, it seems like an awesome school. Too bad I can't schedule an interview until December due to work and other commitments. A few quick questions.

1) How's the economy there in Des Moines? My wife works in PR, so I want to make sure wherever we move she has at least a chance of being employed.

2) I noticed folks keep saying "rotations in Ohio". Does anyone know where? I'm originally from Ohio, and all my family lives back there. I wouldn't mind moving to Columbus/NE Ohio to due some rotations.

Thanks!

I would like two 2nd the atmosphere of the school. It's the major reason why I love it. Admission staff was awesome and had some pretty big smiles that perked my day up.

I also loved the biochem prof, Tom Mueller. Students said his humor really helped with that subject. He was also the one who did the icebreaker for our group. And of the schools I went to, DMU was the only one to do icebreakers instead of letting us fend for ourselves in the waiting room. So that's pretty cool too, that they promote that easy going environment.

Totally agree with everything above. Dr. Mueller is so COOL. He reminds me a lot of my biochem professor in college. I love enthusiastic teachers like him. And the atmosphere is so nice at DMU. It really feels like a family, which also reminds me of my college life. Everybody seems so friendly and I love the idea of teachers having their office doors open all the time. It's so much fun getting to know teachers... and it's comforting for students as well.

There seems to be an unseen vibe of respect among everybody. I think the fact that it's a very family-friendly university is so great. I don't have kids or a wife or anything... but it's always nice to see families around campus.

Ugh this reminds me... I should be getting notification from DMU either tomorrow or the day after about my status. It'll be 3 weeks officially. I'm so nervous... and I'm flying out to KC tomorrow for my KCUMB interview on Wednesday. UGHH, nerves! I'll be over the moon if I get an acceptance email tomorrow.

Ugh this reminds me... I should be getting notification from DMU either tomorrow or the day after about my status. It'll be 3 weeks officially. I'm so nervous... and I'm flying out to KC tomorrow for my KCUMB interview on Wednesday. UGHH, nerves! I'll be over the moon if I get an acceptance email tomorrow.

Good luck!!:luck::luck:

Totally agree with everything above. Dr. Mueller is so COOL. He reminds me a lot of my biochem professor in college. I love enthusiastic teachers like him. And the atmosphere is so nice at DMU. It really feels like a family, which also reminds me of my college life. Everybody seems so friendly and I love the idea of teachers having their office doors open all the time. It's so much fun getting to know teachers... and it's comforting for students as well.

There seems to be an unseen vibe of respect among everybody. I think the fact that it's a very family-friendly university is so great. I don't have kids or a wife or anything... but it's always nice to see families around campus.

I have Dr. Mueller as one of my interviewers, needless to say he is just are great as an interviewer as in the introduction things. :)

What did everyone bring to the interview? CV, extra copies of of your application? I'm getting ready for my interview in a couple weeks.

I didn't bring my CV but I brought a copy of PS/application for my own review. The interview was open file and they already had my files.

What did everyone bring to the interview? CV, extra copies of of your application? I'm getting ready for my interview in a couple weeks.

nothing. they give you everything you need, including a nice pen. :)

once complete, how long did it take for the interview invite. I was complete on 09/27 and still waiting to hear back, they said withing 60 days...

How long after the interview did you guys get your decisions?

I am so excited. The school itself is AMAZING

Ugh this wait is KILLING me. Last year I got my e-mail saying my file is complete and then 2 days later got an interview invite (got Alternate's list last year). This year, I am still waiting for an interview invite. File has been officially complete since October 5th.

Hurry up DMU you are my #1 school!

When in doubt about your status (pre-interview), talk to the admissions office. They are fantastic and are very helpful.

It *might* speed up the process if they have to pull your app to check on its status.

Ugh this wait is KILLING me. Last year I got my e-mail saying my file is complete and then 2 days later got an interview invite (got Alternate's list last year). This year, I am still waiting for an interview invite. File has been officially complete since October 5th.

Hurry up DMU you are my #1 school!

Just curious.. did they tell you how to strengthen your application for this year?

Good Luck! I waited about 30 days to hear for an interview.

When in doubt about your status (pre-interview), talk to the admissions office. They are fantastic and are very helpful.

It *might* speed up the process if they have to pull your app to check on its status.

Thanks for the advice. I have been in constant talk with Kyle from the admission staff. He has always been very helpful.

Just curious.. did they tell you how to strengthen your application for this year?

Good Luck! I waited about 30 days to hear for an interview.

Yes this did. And I did what they asked and more. Said I needed to improve my MCAT by 2, I improved by 3. Said I needed to work in the field. I have been working well over 2000+ hours in the medical field ever since April 2011.

They were very helpful of the things they wanted me to change.

Yes this did. And I did what they asked and more. Said I needed to improve my MCAT by 2, I improved by 3. Said I needed to work in the field. I have been working well over 2000+ hours in the medical field ever since April 2011.

They were very helpful of the things they wanted me to change.

Awesome! Looks like you have a good chance of getting in this year then!