DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I talked to redchief at my kcumb interview, and I think he ended up getting his one day shy of 3 weeks, but I got mine in 2 weeks and 1 day. It seems that they send out acceptances on tues or wed at 5pm or so. Late afternoon.

Members don't see this ad.

Good to know. I have my KCUMB interview in exactly 3 weeks from yesterday... so I'm hoping to get notification before the interview. It might ease the nerves a bit knowing I have a spot at an amazing school.

Do they email or snail mail the acceptance?

They email the acceptance, mostly in the afternoon close to 5pm.

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG! ACCEPTED!!!!!! My first acceptance, and I loved DMU! I cannot even begin to describe how I feel right now :soexcited::clap::banana:

Accepted! I interviewed 9/15 as well. :D

Good luck you guys--DMU is pretty awesome. It would be tough to come here and leave my husband behind, so I don't know that I will end up here, but this school is really great and I feel great getting accepted.

ACCEPTED!!! SO EXCITED! Canceling my 5 other interviews and paying my deposit tomorrow!!! :)

As far as apparel and a facebook page, just post on here, I don't think it is ever too early! :)

OMG! ACCEPTED!!!!!! My first acceptance, and I loved DMU! I cannot even begin to describe how I feel right now :soexcited::clap::banana:

I know I posted this before, but I still read all your posts in the Lisa Simpson voice!! And it doesn't help that you posted something that she would say :laugh:

But seriously, major congrats to you and everyone else who recently got accepted!! It seems like everyone is getting accepted who interviewed (although I know this isn't the case). It makes me feel a little better about my crummy interview answers; hopefully I will be posting here soon with good news! (interviewed on 9/29).

I know I posted this before, but I still read all your posts in the Lisa Simpson voice!! And it doesn't help that you posted something that she would say :laugh:

But seriously, major congrats to you and everyone else who recently got accepted!! It seems like everyone is getting accepted who interviewed (although I know this isn't the case). It makes me feel a little better about my crummy interview answers; hopefully I will be posting here soon with good news! (interviewed on 9/29).

Lol :laugh: Thanks though. Actually, I thought my interview was pretty bad - it was my first. But I guess I was wrong! So don't worry, you never really know :). Good luck and I hope you hear good news.

Lol :laugh: Thanks though. Actually, I thought my interview was pretty bad - it was my first. But I guess I was wrong! So don't worry, you never really know :). Good luck and I hope you hear good news.

this is why I firmly believe that interviews are marginal in comparison to other components of the application (credentials, essays, letters of rec)...of course you have to at least be somewhat normal and personable on interview day, but most schools cannot and do not choose among interviewees solely based on the interview performance...they have to weigh it carefully alongside all other components, and most of the time, things like essays, extracurriculars and letters of rec end up weighing much more heavily.

just saying this because I myself had been deceived for quite a while into thinking that if I get an interview and do well in the interview, I'm almost guaranteed a spot...now in my second year applying, I am just a teensy bit more skeptical of such a notion...just a teensy bit :)

anyways, not to sour the mood or anything, just spilling my guts. on a more frivolous note, congrats docbrill and to all others accepted! :thumbup:

First acceptance!!!!:soexcited:Best of luck to all those with upcoming interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
can anyone post the link to the rotation sites for DMU and the electives...searched all over DMUs website and couldnt find a thing all i see is the curriculum with the schedule

can anyone post the link to the rotation sites for DMU and the electives...searched all over DMUs website and couldnt find a thing all i see is the curriculum with the schedule

This is the current list for the year-long sites for rotations during 3rd year that they gave us during orientation. They made it clear that they can't guarantee that these sites will be available when we get to our third year.

Iowa
  • Ottumwa
  • Davenport
  • Bettendorf
  • Cedar Rapids/Waterloo
  • Mason City
  • Fort Dodge
  • Clinton
  • Dubuque
  • Fort Madison
  • Central Iowa
    • Carroll
    • Ames
    • Sioux City
    • Storm Lake
    • Fort Madison
    • Atlantic
    • Waverly
    • Council Bluff/Omaha
    • Des Moines

For Central Iowa, you move around in the region and won't be in the same place the entire year.

Ohio
  • Sandusky
  • Columbus
  • Westlake
  • Toledo
  • Warren

Michigan
  • Detroit
  • Warren
  • Madison Heights
  • Bay City
  • Mount Clemens

Other Sites
  • Willmar, MN
  • Mankato, MN
  • St Louis, MO
  • Casper, WY
  • Norfolk, NE

Hope that makes sense

This is the current list for the year-long sites for rotations during 3rd year that they gave us during orientation. They made it clear that they can't guarantee that these sites will be available when we get to our third year.

Iowa
  • Ottumwa
  • Davenport
  • Bettendorf
  • Cedar Rapids/Waterloo
  • Mason City
  • Fort Dodge
  • Clinton
  • Dubuque
  • Fort Madison
  • Central Iowa
    • Carroll
    • Ames
    • Sioux City
    • Storm Lake
    • Fort Madison
    • Atlantic
    • Waverly
    • Council Bluff/Omaha
    • Des Moines

For Central Iowa, you move around in the region and won't be in the same place the entire year.

Ohio
  • Sandusky
  • Columbus
  • Westlake
  • Toledo
  • Warren

Michigan
  • Detroit
  • Warren
  • Madison Heights
  • Bay City
  • Mount Clemens

Other Sites
  • Willmar, MN
  • Mankato, MN
  • St Louis, MO
  • Casper, WY
  • Norfolk, NE

Hope that makes sense

Thank you for posting the information. A couple of quick quesitons, if you do 3rd/4th year rotations at one of those locations, is that going to be a place you are likely to do your residency? How do students choose their place for rotations?

I have an interview coming up at DMU in a few weeks. Just wondering how you all prepared for the interview. Any suggestions?

The interview was open file, so you are likely to be asked something about your application - I would just go over PS and AACOMAS primary application.

Some general questions like, Why DMU? Why Medicine? Why Osteopathic medicine?, you can think about them in general but honest terms. Other than that, just relax and be yourself. The interview was after lunch and they really made efforts to make you feel comfortable.

Oh, I even read a couple of articles about health care stuffs:

The Cost Conundrum, by Atul Gawande from The New Yorker:
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/06/01/090601fa_fact_gawande?yrail

The Myth of Prevention, by Abraham Verghese from the WSJ:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204005504574235751720822322.html

Good luck!

Last edited:
The interview was open file, so you are likely to be asked something about your application - I would just go over PS and AACOMAS primary application.

Some general questions like, Why DMU? Why Medicine? Why Osteopathic medicine?, you can think about them in general but honest terms. Other than that, just relax and be yourself. The interview was after lunch and they really made efforts to make you feel comfortable.

Oh, I even read a couple of articles about health care stuffs:

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2..._gawande?yrail

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...720822322.html

Good luck!

Thanks! The links you posted didn't work, but I will look up those articles and others related to healthcare.

Thank you for posting the information. A couple of quick quesitons, if you do 3rd/4th year rotations at one of those locations, is that going to be a place you are likely to do your residency? How do students choose their place for rotations?

These are 3rd year sites. I'm sure some people do stay at these sites for 4th year, but I know many people go to locations not on that list.

I have no idea about the relationship of where you do your rotations 3rd year and those that do their residency at the same location. I would say that if there is a location that you would like to do your residency and it is an option for rotations then it would be helpful to go there since they will know you better than the other medical students applying that are just known from their applications.

For 4th year, there is only one or two required rotations and once those are complete you can go anywhere do finish the rest of your rotations. This is a good time to rotate at places you might be interested in doing your residency.

This link will give you a good idea of where and what specialties DMU students end up with.

I hope this was helpful. My brain is kind of mushy after working on biochem this afternoon.

So......I have been really trying not to ***** this thread, but quick question. I got a DMU car windshield sticker in the mail today. Would it be a toolish "that guy" thing if I were to put it on my car....now?

Just got my interview invite!!

This is my fourth interview invite, and going into the application season DMU was definately my top choice.

However, LMU-DCOM really suprised me with the quality of their facilities and their match rates (not to mention their Dean is the president-elect of the AOA).

That being said, I have very very high hopes for DMU. I talked with an Orthopedic Surgeon that I work with who is an alumni of DMU and she said it was an incredible experience attending school there.

I am excited to see what DMU has to offer!!

So......I have been really trying not to ***** this thread, but quick question. I got a DMU car windshield sticker in the mail today. Would it be a toolish "that guy" thing if I were to put it on my car....now?

Go for it, man! Nothing wrong with being "that guy"... because "that guy" got accepted to medschool! :cool:

These are 3rd year sites. I'm sure some people do stay at these sites for 4th year, but I know many people go to locations not on that list.

I have no idea about the relationship of where you do your rotations 3rd year and those that do their residency at the same location. I would say that if there is a location that you would like to do your residency and it is an option for rotations then it would be helpful to go there since they will know you better than the other medical students applying that are just known from their applications.

For 4th year, there is only one or two required rotations and once those are complete you can go anywhere do finish the rest of your rotations. This is a good time to rotate at places you might be interested in doing your residency.

This link will give you a good idea of where and what specialties DMU students end up with.

I hope this was helpful. My brain is kind of mushy after working on biochem this afternoon.

Thank you so much for the info. That's exactly what I was look to find out.

Are there any ties between DMU and Texas residency sites? I saw that there are a couple listed in the DMU residency matches sheet... but I figure not too many people at DMU would want to go to TX for residency since they probably aren't from/don't have ties to TX.

Since this is my home state, I'd love to be able to complete my residency in TX... does anyone know anything about this? :)

Anyone with an interview Oct 13th coming from 80/88 east? i.e. Iowa City? I'm coming from Chicago, wondering if anyone wanted to carpool. Also, any recommendations on a place to stay?:)

Are there any ties between DMU and Texas residency sites? I saw that there are a couple listed in the DMU residency matches sheet... but I figure not too many people at DMU would want to go to TX for residency since they probably aren't from/don't have ties to TX.

Since this is my home state, I'd love to be able to complete my residency in TX... does anyone know anything about this? :)

If you have an idea of what specialty and where you want to go, Google major hospitals with residency programs that you might be interested in and look where they went to medical school.

In my class, I know of one person from Texas. There might be more that I don't know about. I think where you are from does play a role into where you look for residencies.

If you have an idea of what specialty and where you want to go, Google major hospitals with residency programs that you might be interested in and look where they went to medical school.

In my class, I know of one person from Texas. There might be more that I don't know about. I think where you are from does play a role into where you look for residencies.

Thanks for the response Badgers. I'll look into it. :)

Interview tomorrow, extremely eager and excited. :luck:

Same! See you there :) Maybe it's being from California, but I'm legit concerned about the winters. Just scared of the unknown I suppose. But I am excited to see DMU in person.

Does anyone know how many they interview/accept?

I thought I'd never hear from them again, but they gave me an interview. I'm a little worried because my gpa is on the low side for them, mostly because I was in a top engineering program during undergrad. cgpa = 3.39 and sgpa = 3.44. Only bad grades of C's came from engineering and math courses, which sucked because aacomas counts engineering in the scigpa. I totally destroyed the prereqs and last 2 years have been flawless except for a C in upper level math. :/ I know that DMU has an extremely high average of like 3.68 and 3.63 gpa. My mcat is slightly above the average for DMU. Either way, I hope this isn't some type of tease is all. This school has been on my radar since last year when I met an intern that graduated from this school on one of my shadowing experiences. He and I text back and forth about medical school stuff and absolutely loved the school.

I'm just asking because I'm willing to drop my interviews between CCOM and LMUDCOM for just a shot at this interview (only date that will work is sandwich in between this) and I don't want to be driving all over the place and get in a wreck or miss school for that matter.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how many they interview/accept?

I thought I'd never hear from them again, but they gave me an interview. I'm a little worried because my gpa is on the low side for them, mostly because I was in a top engineering program during undergrad. cgpa = 3.39 and sgpa = 3.44. Only bad grades of C's came from engineering and math courses, which sucked because aacomas counts engineering in the scigpa. I totally destroyed the prereqs and last 2 years have been flawless except for a C in upper level math. :/ I know that DMU has an extremely high average of like 3.68 and 3.63 gpa. My mcat is slightly above the average for DMU. Either way, I hope this isn't some type of tease is all. This school has been on my radar since last year when I met an intern that graduated from this school on one of my shadowing experiences. He and I text back and forth about medical school stuff and absolutely loved the school.

I'm just asking because I'm willing to drop my interviews between CCOM and LMUDCOM for just a shot at this interview (only date that will work is sandwich in between this) and I don't want to be driving all over the place and get in a wreck or miss school for that matter.

Don't drop LMU-DCOM! I went to the interview with low expectations and was extremely suprised. They placed their graduating class last year into several very difficult specialties. Their facilities and technology was amazing. The faculty and students went out of their way to make you feel at home.

Although CCOM is a great school, their tuition is rediculously high.

While DMU is my top choice as well, I would at least attend the interview at LMU-DCOM. It might be a nice fit for you.

:'( Fineeee! :S That's what other people are telling me. I'm just afraid they are so young tis all.

I had that same concern, but when I got there I found out that their dean (Dr. Stowers) just got elected as the President of the AOA. That eased my fears a little bit, because with their dean in such a high position LMU-DCOM is about to become more widely known and recognized.

Also, it is hard to explain unless you have seen it for yourself, but I just got the feeling it was a very high caliber education.

I had that same concern, but when I got there I found out that their dean (Dr. Stowers) just got elected as the President of the AOA. That eased my fears a little bit, because with their dean in such a high position LMU-DCOM is about to become more widely known and recognized.

Also, it is hard to explain unless you have seen it for yourself, but I just got the feeling it was a very high caliber education.

Hmm! Interesting. That is great to know then. I knew he was president elect, but didn't know he got the position. (We basically highjacked the DMU thread for LMUDCOM lol).

Hmm! Interesting. That is great to know then. I knew he was president elect, but didn't know he got the position. (We basically highjacked the DMU thread for LMUDCOM lol).

He is president-elect which means that he has been elected to the position, but just hasn't officially taken over yet.

And to put the thread back on course....I am very excited about my DMU interview, I think that I am going to try for one of the last weeks in October that are still available.

He is president-elect which means that he has been elected to the position, but just hasn't officially taken over yet.

And to put the thread back on course....I am very excited about my DMU interview, I think that I am going to try for one of the last weeks in October that are still available.

Right. Oh and I answered my own question. I'll post in case someone was wondering. This is old data from like circa 2007-2008 but I'm sure it doesn't deviate too much:

Total admissions data
3273 applied, 685 interviewed, 469 were accepted, 221 enrolled

In-state admissions data
203 applied, 116 interviewed, 84 were accepted, 65 enrolled

Out-of-state admissions data
3070 applied, 569 interviewed, 385 were accepted, 156 enrolled

Women's admissions data
1500 applied, 309 interviewed, 227 were accepted, 115 enrolled

Minority admissions data
772 applied, 117 interviewed, 83 were accepted, 35 enrolled

International admissions data
79 applied, 19 interviewed, 14 were accepted, 4 enrolled

for those of you who received interview invites, how long did it take from the time your app was complete till you received the invite?

for those of you who received interview invites, how long did it take from the time your app was complete till you received the invite?
i think mine took 45 days..somewhere close to that...they are pretty good at getting you an answer in the 60 day time-frame they put down in the email...they send them out in batches (least thats what it seemed like) so it could be a couple weeks til the next batch

I am here at the Best Western if anyone else is here. Got stuck with a minivan for a rental so if anyone needs a ride to school in the morning let me know. Just pm me.

At the one week mark from interview now... lol this is killing me...:xf:

Right. Oh and I answered my own question. I'll post in case someone was wondering. This is old data from like circa 2007-2008 but I'm sure it doesn't deviate too much:

Total admissions data
3273 applied, 685 interviewed, 469 were accepted, 221 enrolled

In-state admissions data
203 applied, 116 interviewed, 84 were accepted, 65 enrolled

Out-of-state admissions data
3070 applied, 569 interviewed, 385 were accepted, 156 enrolled

Women's admissions data
1500 applied, 309 interviewed, 227 were accepted, 115 enrolled

Minority admissions data
772 applied, 117 interviewed, 83 were accepted, 35 enrolled

International admissions data
79 applied, 19 interviewed, 14 were accepted, 4 enrolled

At the interview day the Dean of COM said pretty much these same numbers so they should be right on for the most part. Good hunting.

Just paid my seat deposit and emailed back my conditions of enrollment agreement. It is official! :)