DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
CCOM vs. DMU?

I'm already accepted at CCOM, should I venture out the 5 hr drive + hotel room for my interview at DMU? I keep hearing all schools are pretty much the same, and it's all about your performance. Also Chicago >>> Des Moines.

Members don't see this ad.

CCOM vs. DMU?

I'm already accepted at CCOM, should I venture out the 5 hr drive + hotel room for my interview at DMU? I keep hearing all schools are pretty much the same, and it's all about your performance. Also Chicago >>> Des Moines.

it's all about which you prefer. des Moines is a really nice city. I don't want to live in a big city like Chicago. des Moines is a top US city for families.

it's all about which you prefer. des Moines is a really nice city. I don't want to live in a big city like Chicago. des Moines is a top US city for families.

Yeah, city is all preference- I'm a big city girl, so, I prefer Chicago, but location is really a very minor contributor in my decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
CCOM vs. DMU?

I have the same predicament. Having been accepted to DMU and interviewed at CCOM,

I personally like DMU better although I am from Chicago area. If it's driving distance, I would say go for it.

When I talk to the interviewers who have interviewed at CCOM or any other schools, they are usually very happy that came to DMU for the interview. I highly suggest coming if you are granted an interview.

I have the same predicament. Having been accepted to DMU and interviewed at CCOM,

I personally like DMU better although I am from Chicago area. If it's driving distance, I would say go for it.

When I talk to the interviewers who have interviewed at CCOM or any other schools, they are usually very happy that came to DMU for the interview. I highly suggest coming if you are granted an interview.

Thank you both. DMU next thursday it is!

as Far as the DMU vs. CCOM campus, the CCOM campus is bigger and has more facilities. CCOM has actual halls for students to live in, but most students only live in them the first year. DMU and CCOM just got new anatomy and OMM labs, which is nice. CCOM has some construction going on when I went there, but it wasn't too bad. Overall, both campuses were bigger and I am still torn between DMU and CCOM at this point. AHHHH, what to do...

does DMU take the best composite mcat score or the most recent one?

CCOM was my top choice before interviews, but after interviewing at both Im leaning toward DMU. CCOM has amazing rotations sites...but I dont think the extra like 10,000 in tuition is worth it. Plus DMU has the surgical skills class, CCOM doesnt teach you any of that before rotations. DMU also has more technology.

CCOM was my top choice before interviews, but after interviewing at both Im leaning toward DMU. CCOM has amazing rotations sites...but I dont think the extra like 10,000 in tuition is worth it. Plus DMU has the surgical skills class, CCOM doesnt teach you any of that before rotations. DMU also has more technology.

Yes, DMU is very high tech - they even include a new laptop and an iPod touch in tuition. Their work out facility is great too - with flat screen tvs on every cardio machine, and you get a free year round pass for a friend or significant other. Their board scores are significantly above the national average, and over sixty five percent of their students match into MD residencies (their pass rate on the USMLE is something like 99 percent, I don't remember the exact percentage). I heard the faculty is very helpful, and I also love the fact that they don't have undergrad. Also, as somebody mentioned already, the surgical skills lab is very good, and overall they provide you with excellent clinical education.

Anyway, so far DMU is definitely my top choice DO school :love:

Yes, DMU is very high tech - they even include a new laptop and an iPod touch in tuition. Their work out facility is great too - with flat screen tvs on every cardio machine, and you get a free year round pass for a friend or significant other. Their board scores are significantly above the national average, and over sixty five percent of their students match into MD residencies (their pass rate on the USMLE is something like 99 percent, I don't remember the exact percentage). I heard the faculty is very helpful, and I also love the fact that they don't have undergrad. Also, as somebody mentioned already, the surgical skills lab is very good, and overall they provide you with excellent clinical education.

Anyway, so far DMU is definitely my top choice DO school :love:

daaang, you make me feel horrible being wait listed here...DMU is not only one of the cheapest DO schools, but it provides an awesome education, state of the art technology and great amenities. And its in a great town...

ahh well, the only thing I can do is rack up my updates and hope for the best...

Members don't see this ad :)
daaang, you make me feel horrible being wait listed here...DMU is not only one of the cheapest DO schools, but it provides an awesome education, state of the art technology and great amenities. And its in a great town...

ahh well, the only thing I can do is rack up my updates and hope for the best...

Didn't mean too, I just get excited every time I think about how unexpectedly great DMU is :) Don't give up, hopefully your waitlist will turn into an acceptance :xf:

Ahh it's almost been 2 weeks since I interviewed here. I'm dying inside...

Thanks guys! DMU looks like such a wonderful school. My favorite part about it is how "homely" and close-knit the teachers and students are with each other. I went to a small private university, so the science community was very much like this as well. I LOVE it!!! And the facilities look so top-knotch. I'm hoping I'm just giving myself a hard time when I think about how much better I could've done at my interview. Oh well, a few more days!!! :xf:

Didn't mean too, I just get excited every time I think about how unexpectedly great DMU is :) Don't give up, hopefully your waitlist will turn into an acceptance :xf:

thanks doc :)

Got my acceptance on a tues at 5pm central time (which is closing time for DMU) so hopefully another batch of acceptances is coming this evening.

Got an interview invite! First interview (applied a bit late in the cycle), so I'm even more excited and nervous. I'm from California and this school is probably my favorite OOS school.

BTW, how selective is their interview invites? Is this one of those schools that give out interviews to a lot people and select a few from that batch?

Any recommendation on a hotel?

Interview Invite: OOS / Complete 9/15/11 :thumbup::):thumbup:

Omg I'm dying... it'll be 2 weeks this Thursday since the interview. I'm so darn nervous... it'll kill me if I get rejected or even waitlisted. Gotta... do... something...

Any interview advice from those that have interviewed? Anyone want to comment on DMU vs KCUMB?

Omg I'm dying... it'll be 2 weeks this Thursday since the interview. I'm so darn nervous... it'll kill me if I get rejected or even waitlisted. Gotta... do... something...

We are in the same boat. It'll be 2 weeks for me this coming Friday. My heart stops every time I get a new email lol. I need SOMETHING to make me stop thinking about if I will get accepted/rejected/waitlisted.

We are in the same boat. It'll be 2 weeks for me this coming Friday. My heart stops every time I get a new email lol. I need SOMETHING to make me stop thinking about if I will get accepted/rejected/waitlisted.

Yeah lol. I'm actually kinda surprised how fast the days have gone, but the past couple days my heart has beating so fast just thinking about it!!

Good luck to both of us!! :D

Interview scheduled in November 11th, I visited campus in July and was really impressed!

I interviewed on the same day and didn't they say three weeks instead of two?

Yeah but I heard some people got their acceptances that ranged between 1.5 and 2.5 weeks so I keep wondering if they will send out an email to me this week.

Yeah lol. I'm actually kinda surprised how fast the days have gone, but the past couple days my heart has beating so fast just thinking about it!!

Good luck to both of us!! :D

Yeah! I hope we both hear good news!

If I get notification before you guys since I was a day earlier, I'll let you know so you can get excited/nervous that you'll be hearing from that shortly after. :)

To those of you who are not sure about interviewing at DMU due to its remote location:

I am from Seattle, and I had never been to anywhere east of the Cascades Mountains (20 miles? east of Seattle) prior to my interview, also, I was unsure of the non-Seattleite lifestyle. Initially, I only attended the interview at DMU because it was one of my first offers and I wanted to maximize my chances at ANY school.

After interviewing here and other places, I feel that DMU is definitely worth a visit. DMU got me truly convinced that its a great school. Plus there are tons of different opporunitites at a cheaper cost of living. Now DMU is my top choice.

Anyway...do yourself a favor and visit DMU!

So I'm going to be staying at the Hyatt Place on the 27th for my Oct 28th interview. The hotel isn't on the list of places to stay at on the website for some reason, but it's only 2 miles away. Plus they have free shuttle services from the airport to the hotel and then to the school (anywhere within 5 mi radius).

Anyone else interviewing on October 28th? Would love meet some of you guys before or after the interview...

This is a question for current student, and since I only interviewed there Monday, it may be a moot point. After reviewing the financial aid COA numbers as spending a day and a half looking at rentals and calling rentals, I didn't find anywhere that made the numbers on the COA look even close to realistic. I was just wondering how current students are making it.

I really loved the school and it is my number one choice, but when decision time comes I don't want to be worried about surviving. Anyone who doesn't want to share in the thread can pm me.

This is a question for current student, and since I only interviewed there Monday, it may be a moot point. After reviewing the financial aid COA numbers as spending a day and a half looking at rentals and calling rentals, I didn't find anywhere that made the numbers on the COA look even close to realistic. I was just wondering how current students are making it.

I really loved the school and it is my number one choice, but when decision time comes I don't want to be worried about surviving. Anyone who doesn't want to share in the thread can pm me.

According to a source, COA can be adjusted slightly based on individual needs. For examples, they will not pay for your credit card payments, car payment, etc. but they will give you enough money for your rent. What kind of housing options are you looking for? I thought Des Moines was one of the cheapest cities for housing.

you are looking in the wrong areas. $600/mo is a decent apartment and pretty average. if you get downtown or in west des moines, yes you will pay more, but apartments by my house (new neighborhood about 15 minute from DMU in town) are about $400/mo and my wife and I had a 2 bedroom a few years ago for $500/mo and it was brand new. Stay out of downtown and smug areas and the COA is more than reasonable, and actually pretty generous.

I was looking at 1 br apartments that would allow pets. Everywhere that I looked at online, apartment book, DMU info sheet, just calling. Had no 1 br below 750. Mind you that isn't a bad rent for a 1 br, but when the COA say 610 for rent and 115 utilities (in a city that has some pretty cool winters), it doesn't matter how good the rent is.

Obviously I was only able to look while I was there, but if the Fin Aid lady is saying that students can get these apartments I would like to hear from some that are.

sent you a PM. they are around and I am not sure about the whole pet situation.

on another note, i tried to set a DMU class page, but I got frustrated so someone else can.

Sorry if this is a stupid question... I've never lived in an apartment, so I'm not quite sure what is included in the COA. When you say $600/month... does this include utilities like water, electricity, etc.? Or is that additional? Also... as another dumb question, I was wondering if people who live in apartments have to get their own network connection? Or does the apartment have free internet available via wifi/ethernet outlets in each apartment room?

On another note... It'll be two weeks tomorrow since interviewing. I'm already preparing for my KCUMB interview next week... my parents really want me to go to KCUMB because of family connections, but I fell in love with DMU while I was there. I hope I get an acceptance to put my mind at ease... :)

Oh, and congrats to all the recent interview invited people!! :D

This is a random question, but does DMU send out anything official through snail mail? I have been accepted and paid my deposit, but I would love to have something more official than my acceptance email....Any info helps! :)

Yes they do. Ii got something last week. Basically another acceptance letter. And with regards to the apartments, here is des moines, water is usually paid and sometimes electric (not usually). Garbage is paid but internet is all you.

This is a random question, but does DMU send out anything official through snail mail? I have been accepted and paid my deposit, but I would love to have something more official than my acceptance email....Any info helps! :)

Yes, you will receive an official letter with a window sticker. It came 2-3 wks. after the acceptance email.

Officially 2 weeks since interviewing. This next week is going to be a nightmare... :xf:

Ah ok. Dang I don't think I can wait till Tuesday! My KCUMB interview is on Wednesday... I'm going to be so distracted anticipating DMU's email while I'm at KCUMB! I hope that doesn't slip out during the interview.... :p

Sorry if this is a stupid question... I've never lived in an apartment, so I'm not quite sure what is included in the COA. When you say $600/month... does this include utilities like water, electricity, etc.? Or is that additional? Also... as another dumb question, I was wondering if people who live in apartments have to get their own network connection? Or does the apartment have free internet available via wifi/ethernet outlets in each apartment room?

$600/mo is just rent. always keep this in mind...advertised numbers are nevery the full picture because they're advertised!

On another note... It'll be two weeks tomorrow since interviewing. I'm already preparing for my KCUMB interview next week... my parents really want me to go to KCUMB because of family connections, but I fell in love with DMU while I was there. I hope I get an acceptance to put my mind at ease... :)

this is probably a moot point, but I got wait listed at DMU and accepted at KCUMB, so don't freak out if DMU doesn't show you some 'real' love (and by 'real' I mean an acceptance)....KCUMB is also great and they accept the majority of their interviewees. I'm definitely rootin for ya in getting the DMU though!! you're like the little version of frkybgstok, carrying on the tradition...(I only say 'little' cuz frky's name has what sounds like 'big' in it...yeah I know kinda random but whatev :laugh:)

Oh, and congrats to all the recent interview invited people!! :D