DMU Hold Status...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flandersk

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received an email a few days ago from DMU telling me that my file has been placed on "hold" status.

Does anyone know anyone that has received an interview from DMU after being placed on that status? Better yet - does anyone know someone (or heard of anyone) that made it through the interview process and got admitted after starting out in this status?

At this point, I just didn't know if DMU doesn't send denial letters - but instead just puts everyone in this "temporary hold" status while they wait to fill their slots - and then sends the denial letters later?!?

Any insight at this point is great... I'm not overly optimistic right now!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently on hold myself and have talked with some students and people around the program, hold means that your app is active, complete, and reviewed each time the committee reviews apps of interview spots, but from what I have heard people placed on hold have not gotten into DMU. I have been on hold since Jan, so let me know if you get an interview invite.

I am currently on hold myself and have talked with some students and people around the program, hold means that your app is active, complete, and reviewed each time the committee reviews apps of interview spots, but from what I have heard people placed on hold have not gotten into DMU. I have been on hold since Jan, so let me know if you get an interview invite.

Hello - what happened with the dreaded "DMU hold" last cycle? I just received a "Hold Status" e-mail from them for the '08 cycle. Regardless of the fact it's early, does that mean I can kiss any opportunity to receive an interview there "good bye" :( ? (any DMU students or affiliated people with pertinent info are kindly asked to respond as well)

Members don't see this ad :)
Zipmedic and Kuba, who is your avatar? I thought Kuba changed to Zipmedic, but since you posted in the same thread....:confused:

Somebody needs to change!

I'm not sure what being put on hold means. I guess you guys are complete pretty early though so your file will be seen by the ad comm quite a few times. Better than getting a straight up no, right?

Zipmedic and Kuba, who is your avatar? I thought Kuba changed to Zipmedic, but since you posted in the same thread....:confused:

I thought that for a while too. I think it's one of the guys from The Office.

Toohot you're killing me! That's Jim from The Office. I'm not sure who you are but I know you're in my class, good luck on the biochem test wednesday; I'm currently procrastinating. Solitaire is holding my attention a lot more than phospholipase C right now.

I'm not sure what being put on hold means. I guess you guys are complete pretty early though so your file will be seen by the ad comm quite a few times. Better than getting a straight up no, right?

Well, that's a good point - the fact that it will be seen by the adcom a few more times. Perhaps I should try to partake of a September MCAT to see if I can squeak a few more points out - maybe even get that D.O. letter in to the office instead of the M.D.? Gives me some ideas but if it's all in vain, the MCAT is likely to devour my soul if I do it again. I guess this is where the cliche "don't give up" comes in... :thumbup: I wish they would have just pulled the trigger already and spared me the torture! :D

I better suck it up and press on! :thumbup:

The best show ever is Mr. Belvedere. I can't wait until Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson make a movie out of it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, that's a good point - the fact that it will be seen by the adcom a few more times. Perhaps I should try to partake of a September MCAT to see if I can squeak a few more points out - maybe even get that D.O. letter in to the office instead of the M.D.? Gives me some ideas but if it's all in vain, the MCAT is likely to devour my soul if I do it again. I guess this is where the cliche "don't give up" comes in... :thumbup: I wish they would have just pulled the trigger already and spared me the torture! :D

I better suck it up and press on! :thumbup:

Getting a letter from a D.O. will most likely not help you much. The only time that I have seen a D.O. recommendation letter help anyone in an interview is if the person happens to be an alumni that is known to either those on the adcom or to the interviewer.

You would be much better served by getting a letter by someone who knows you very well b/c of the work you have done w/ them. A personal letter means so much more than the cookie-cutter LOR's that are all too common from docs that people have shadowed maybe twice in their pre-med career.

Getting a letter from a D.O. will most likely not help you much. The only time that I have seen a D.O. recommendation letter help anyone in an interview is if the person happens to be an alumni that is known to either those on the adcom or to the interviewer.

You would be much better served by getting a letter by someone who knows you very well b/c of the work you have done w/ them. A personal letter means so much more than the cookie-cutter LOR's that are all too common from docs that people have shadowed maybe twice in their pre-med career.
This is the approach I took. I could have gotten a DO letter but I had gotten pretty close to an MD through shadowing. When it came down to it, I wanted the best letter possible.

That being said, do you know any DMU alum who might be willing to write me a recommendation? After viewing my CV and personal statement I think they'd be willing... :D:thumbup:

you guys have to start watching The Office. best. show. ever. Anyway, I had the avatar first:p.

I watched it the first season but really didn't get the humor so I haven't watched it since. I put it in the same category as Napoleon Dynamite which I didn't "get" either.

you guys have to start watching The Office. best. show. ever. Anyway, I had the avatar first:p.

Well now that we have settled this mess out, lets hang the Kuba imposter for confusing me.

That being said, do you know any DMU alum who might be willing to write me a recommendation? After viewing my CV and personal statement I think they'd be willing... :D:thumbup:

I could give you a list of some really great DMU alums, but I won't...sorry. That would negate my whole point in my above post when I said that a letter from someone who knows you well is worth more than anything else you could possibly have. I'm not even going to mention the fact that your letter would read, "Gasapple approached me & asked me to write him/her a LOR. After reviewing his/her CV & PS, they appear to be a good candidate for admission." That LOR is pretty much next to useless, even if it is signed by an alum that has good connections to the school.

If your post was a joke that I misinterpreted, this is still good advice for anyone who thinks a name means more than content.

Good LORs come through forging a relationship. Oftentimes, the physician will offer to write the letter or for you or say "well, if you ever need anything...". You have to put your work in to get a good letter. Merely appraoching a doctor with you ECs and asking for a letter upon review is not the way to go.

Good LORs come through forging a relationship. Oftentimes, the physician will offer to write the letter or for you or say "well, if you ever need anything...". You have to put your work in to get a good letter. Merely appraoching a doctor with you ECs and asking for a letter upon review is not the way to go.

It was a joke.

:sleep:

I applied to DMU and have been complete since the 7/19, and I am fortunate to have a DO letter from an alum. Will that help me as much as some of you make it sound, or does it really matter that much?

I applied to DMU and have been complete since the 7/19, and I am fortunate to have a DO letter from an alum. Will that help me as much as some of you make it sound, or does it really matter that much?

They were suggesting that it doesn't make a difference and I tend to agree. For example, I have a MD letter because I felt it stronger than any DO letter I might have obtained based on the relationship - and the DOs here at the hospital don't take shadow students. The DMU requirements are a letter from a DO or MD so there's no real preference; it'd be mandatory otherwise but a DO letter would be "preferred" if there's a choice because afterall, this is an osteopathic school. A physician is a physician and the DMU adcom thankfully realizes this fact. The main purpose of the letter is to prove clinical experience so IMHO, there's no real advantage or disadvantage, the requirements have been met for consideration. :thumbup:

I was blessed to be given a presecondary interview invite by DMU. The letter detailing clinical exposure doesn't have to come from either a DO or MD.
DMU states
"One letter that details your exposure to medicine. This can come from a physician (D.O. or M.D.), a nurse, or volunteer coordinator. The letter needs to describe your exposure to patients and your ability to perform in a medical setting. It can reflect shadowing, volunteer, or work experience."

From some of the posts I got the impression that the letter had to come from a physician and I wouldn't want anyone to who is applying to misunderstand. Good Luck to all...