Do unsubmitted letters completely hold back our application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Choсolate

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a physician who has still not written my letter of recommendation which he has promised to do so more than two months ago. His letter is the only uncompleted part of my application now. However, I received an interview invite from one of my medical schools today, though I have otherwise heard that this does not happen with unsubmitted letters. My question is, do medical schools wait for all letters to be submitted before they review your application? Should I be more firm with my physician in case other schools are waiting until he submits it before they look over my profile?

Members don't see this ad.

My question is, do medical schools wait for all letters to be submitted before they review your application? Should I be more firm with my physician in case other schools are waiting until he submits it before they look over my profile?
You should check your reference on your letter if he committed to writing one for you. But let's answer your question...

It depends on the school. Some don't consider your file ready for screening without all letters. Some will review once required letters are received. Some will screen regardless of letters status but may not give you an offer until all (required) letters are received.

Reactions: 1 user
I had a similar situation but it was for an additional backup letter. I just selected that they were no longer sending the letter so it didn't hold back my application. I didn't want to follow up with my letter writer because she had a death in the family and I felt like it was insensitive and bad timing to ask about my letter. It didn't hold me back. I have an A early in the cycle and am feeling really great about it.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you. All your advice is appreciated.