DMU-OMC Class of 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I can't actually 'get' the place until June 1st, because I'm not moving out so soon. But the guy virtually guaranteed me a place there, and I liked it the best. So I'll most likely be out there.

I can't wait to meet you all - It sounds like I'm about to become a part of a great class!

Members don't see this ad.

Green007,
Father O'Dell knows me as "JP"

To my fellow classmates and colleagues.... Look for a "JP" during orientation and introduce youself.... Like KidT, can't wait to meet you all....

KidT, if the person guaranteed you with a place, then I say you got it.... They're pretty good around here with their word and hand shakes.... Our apartment manager's mother bought a house with a simple handshake as an agreement!!!! Go figure!!!!

Later y'all :cool:

For those of you who haven't notice in the DMU Class of 2004... DMU has affiliation with Mercy Hospital!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
When is this rain going to stop!!! Now I know what locals are complainin' about when it comes to weather.... or at least have a taste of it now....

Bumpithumpithum!!!!

Popoy - you must be one bored mofo to be in Windsor Terrace all by your lonesome with nothing but an internet connection to the studentdoctor forums! No wonder you have so many more posts than I do!

Just playin' witcha, my man. I was wondering how you were connecting to the internet. I remember you saying that you can't get internet until orientation from the school, so how are you hooking up your connection? I am going to be a month early, and I don't think I could live without my beloved internet. I'm thinking of getting cable modem, like I have here. I just don't know if I can brave the costs.

Yup.... a pretty bored mofo :D It's all good!!!

Been on the net a lot because of my lil' sis'. She and I chat alot about her plans for college. She's tryin' to decide which school and I've been helping her. So any opportunity I have I get on the forum while I wait for her responses.

I was an academic peer advisor in college.... I guess once an advisor always an advisor. I see this forum as some for of that advising along with helping my sis.

As for the internet connect, I'm using AOL's free month thing.... After that, I'll be using MSN's free month thing.... See a pattern!!! :D I'm one cheap hombre when I want to!!!

I called student services and apparently we do get free access to the net.... During the second day of orientation the computer folks will be talking to us about that.... That's all that they told me.

I say grab one of those free internet for the time being.... By then you'll get hooked up with DMU....

Later dude!!!
JP :cool:

Does anyone who'll be reading this know where we can get a hold of a list of residency matches for DMU?

Hey Popoy! Enjoying des moines so far... hee he?!!! Anyways, regarding ther residency matches, I talked to Dr. T (the dean) a while back and asked for this info... DMU only releases matches for DO internships. This is very frustrating to me as fewer and fewer grads are going into these. I'm working on trying to get the school to follow ALL match results, but will probably run into some sort of AOA brick wall.
Later hommie, Josh

The weather here is extremely tempermental.... I'm glad its not hot yet but at the same time, I'd sure like to see more SUN!!!

So where can I get my hands on this DO internships? I sure would like that match result published though... Some schools have those out for others to see already....

Thanks Josh,
JP

Po-

Do me a favor and email me, I'd like to talk to you about some things!

Thanks ;)

Sure thing.... :cool:

I'll do just that... Thanks Izlamic....

Members don't see this ad :)
Figured that was what you meant.... BTW, Now I know why you called academic center "azneer center." I saw the dedication thing on the side of the building near the entrance.... Does everyone call that building azneer? Thanks again....

FYI: I don't believe that McKinney did a DO internship... I could be wrong though. Not a very important fact though. I still think that DMU should have a hardcopy and a web listing or where all of our grads go for GME.

Yes, a hardcopy of it would most definitely be a useful information.... So are they any close to having something tangible for us to see and touch? :cool:

What's with the crap hanging from the ceiling in the first year lecture hall - those wooden poles?

LOL.... That's a pretty funny story DUDE!!! :D

The person who gave me a tour during the interview told me that they were there so they could measure how much the ceiling drops each year.

Now there's a comforting thought!!! They haven't dropped yet, but there is always next year! As soon as the construction company is done with building five they will start in on building three. Sorry, but I don't think that any of us will see a new building three (where the auditorium is) until after we all graduate.

Keep posting, I know we can overthrow COMP's page!

I thought they were suppose to be done with construction before our year starts....

COMP!!! You're goin' down!!!

Anyone know what happened to the Brewing Company out in Court Avenue? My wife and I went there for some food and when we got inside it was blocked and there were a bunch of construction stuff.... Have they relocated?

Later peeps....

Me again.... That's a surprise.... I practically live in this forum :D

Here's a more important question....

I was at Barnes & Noble and Borders today and I was browsing throught the USMLE Step 1 study guides..... DEFINITELY AN OVERACHIEVER IN THE HOUSE!!! :eek: I promised that I would most definitely do a turn around come med school.... On top of how much I already study.... definitely an overachiever!!!

I'm just a very cautious individual.... :)

Anyway, which books do you people recommend as far as getting started on STEP 1 for COMLEX or USMLE?

Is First Aid a good one? Seems like people are referring to it all the time.... I looked at it and it was definitely a condensed type of review.... They keep referring to "UCV" (which I am assuming as Clinical Vignettes) are those bought seperately?... it seems that way.

I was also looking at the Princeton Review: Cracking the Boards: USMLE Step 1.... Is this one good as well? Seems twices as thick.... but I've learned that volume doesn't necessarily mean better.

I'm seriously asking this because I wanted to have a reference/guide through my first two years.... I wanted to start my own notes on things and hopefully come board examination time I'd be ready....

Are there review books for the OPP or OMM portions of the COMLEX out there?

Any feedback would be great regarding what comprehensive study guides would help me put together my personal skeleton notes throughout my first year....

Later,
Popoy
:cool:

Man, you're scaring me.... ;) :D

Easy there jp... burnout is just around the corner! First semester goes by pretty quick but second semester never seems to end... in fact its still going! So slow down and relax while you can! Just my opinion though.
--Josh

LOL!!!

I think going through those review books, got my A$$ on a knot!!! Staring at those books... kinda makes me feel that there are many things I sure have no clue what the heck they mean.... Anyway.... Just wanted to get some clue from our upper class students....

I'm sure they'll tell me to chill.... which I am but with those review books tossing info left and right.... I mean.... DAMN!!!

I think I'm getting stressed out before school starts.... wait a minute.... No I'm not.... :D

later peeps....

COMP has up to freakin' 30 pages of postings.... Can't see us going that big...

Keep on postin' :cool:

we can still take them!!!!

Now I see it.... I guess every page is fifteen post...

All this time I thought it depended on the length.... I guess it depends on number of post

So I guess this is the tenth post on page 6.... Keep on posting!!!

Josh,

I think I'm a bit burnt out from not doing anything right now.... Maybe that's all for the better.... before the "storm" comes rollin' down....

Anyway, remember that restaurant you guys took me to when I interviewed here in DMU?

I think it was the Brewing Company.... What happened to it? Any insiders know if they might have relocated?

No one has answered this question for me.... I wanted to take my wife there and taste the food.

Later, JP

Sorry, no clue what happened to it... that time I went with you was the only time I'd ever been there.

Okee dokee... Thanks Josh!!!

How often do we REALLY use our white coat during our first year?

Beating COMP is simple....

Just put one post...

LOL... pretty funny there KidT :D

IzlamicM, thanks for the bit of info.

When do we start clinical experience around DMU? I've asked before and I remember the admissions people telling me there is no student run clinic for the first years.... IS THAT TRUE?

Here's another question:

When do we start doing shadowing with other docs?

Here's another one:

Do we get our special white coats by buying them at the bookstore or are they tailoring if for us?

According to the orientation packet, they'll be "doing measurement" for us for our white coat....

Keep on postin' :cool:

You need two types of white coats. The first one is a short white coat that the school will give to you. This one use use for your SPAL's (physical diagnosis) and on rotations 3rd and 4th year. The second kind you need is a long lab coat for anatomy. This one doesn't have to be white, if you have an old one you want to use thats ok as long as it is about knee length. This one will get dirty. You can get the lab jackets in the bookstore for about $20 or so. Hope that helps.

First semester... just concentrate on school! I know that several of my classmates started shadowing FP docs in the area second semester. I know Rachael does this about once every two weeks for about 3-4 hours one afternoon. First semester you do have what is called "community medicine" where the school matches you to a willing physician who will let you shadow them four a total of 8 hours over the semester. JP, I empathise with your boredom at the moment... but enjoy it while it lasts! Starting you third year, you get to "shadow" for about a hundred hours a week for two years... so relax, it coming soon enough.

comoon one more =100

THANK YOU Josh and IzlamicM!!!

You guys ROCK!!!

I am pretty damn bored but i find myself working out more often which I've always wanted to do.... I guess it's a pretty good time to "get to know Des Moines." I'm showing my face a lot at the bookstore.... The bookstore ladies know me by face now!!! yeehaw....

Thanks for the great advice, I'll look at lab coats sometime next week.... and I will enjoy the free time left....

IzlamicM... Good luck in your boards DUDE!!!

We got a new visitor.... amisoone?

what do you mean about your post?
Are you going to be attending DMU?

Anyway, you're new.... WELCOME TO SDN and DMU-OMC CLass of 2005!!!

Later :)

This this new guy isn't going to DMU after all.... Saw his post on other forums.... Asking a variation of the typical "can I/someone make into medical school"

Here's another question:

If I remember correctly, there is a dress code for DMU.... What is it? Is it adhere to? It doesn't seem like it.... Having been around campus the past few days....

I would personally email you Josh, but this way this forum thing continually grows... Damn, i must be really bored!!! :D

Keep on posting!!!

One more post should mean having an eigth page to this thing... We'll see.... If so this post should start the eight page.... :cool:

Yeeessss it did!!! :D

Hey - there's a dress code? I just thought it meant you couldn't wear shorts or something like that? When I was there, people were all in jeans and a t-shirt.

Bump!
:confused:

For my future classmates who are reading this.... If you haven't done your immunization proof for your MMR, tetanus, polio, etc. (except Hep B and PPD), the Tower Medical Center does titers (sp?) for free!!!

I'll be doing mines tomorrow... I'm sure I'll be getting a bruise... we'll see. I'll find out if they do Hep B series and PPD for free as well....

Just wondering for those who can answer this.... DOes the Tower Medical Center provide free care for those that are uninsured?

Later,