DMU vs ATSU-KCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eberge3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Was originally planning on attending Kirksville/ATSU which has orientation starting this Monday! But just got the call of the waitlist at DMU. Does anyone here know a lot about DMU or maybe how they compare?

Members don't see this ad.

They're pretty similar schools. I'm an MSBS student at DMU and am a native of the area. What specific questions do you have? Have you not looked at DMUs stats, etc..?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

Attendance
Online lectures
Living in the area? Cost food stuff to do?

Attendance non mandatory. All lectures are recorded. Even if recordings fail the professors redo them in the office the same day, or you get a last year's copy. But this is rare. Living is cheap but living accross the street is more spendy. Cost of living in Des Moines is very reasonable and likely the same or even cheaper than kirskville. Tons of stuff to do. Kirskville btw is like in the middle of nowhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Attendance non mandatory. All lectures are recorded. Even if recordings fail the professors redo them in the office the same day, or you get a last year's copy. But this is rare. Living is cheap but living accross the street is more spendy. Cost of living in Des Moines is very reasonable and likely the same or even cheaper than kirskville. Tons of stuff to do. Kirskville btw is like in the middle of nowhere.

There are apartments right across the street (Windsor Terrace and others) where rent is $550 for a single bedroom apt, ~ 600 sq/ft. Coming from NY this is outrageous haha

• Haha
I see that nobody from this year has posted in this, but I’m also struggling to pick DMU vs KCOM. Is there any students currently at DMU who could help in this tough situation? Some things I am worried about at DMU would be the non-block schedule because I have heard this is extremely hard on students, and the lack of year long clinical placement for everyone. ATSU has both block schedule and a year long spot for everyone, but the location is far inferior in my opinion. Anything helps!

Hey, I ended up going to DMU. I am not really sure how to answer your questions because I have no experience with a block scheduling. The non-block schedule has been hard but im sure every medical student will say their curriculum has been hard as well. I chose DMU because I liked the locations of their rotation sites (closer to home). While it is true that about 35/220 kids do not get placed in a year long spot the alternative isnt that bad but I understand your concern. I looked at things such as Match list, board scores, facilities, location, tuition. Its hard to make a decision based on two different curriculums which you do not have any experience in. If you have any other questions LMK :)

I see that nobody from this year has posted in this, but I’m also struggling to pick DMU vs KCOM. Is there any students currently at DMU who could help in this tough situation? Some things I am worried about at DMU would be the non-block schedule because I have heard this is extremely hard on students, and the lack of year long clinical placement for everyone. ATSU has both block schedule and a year long spot for everyone, but the location is far inferior in my opinion. Anything helps!
As far as I know, DMU starts block schedule this year.

DMU 4th year here. As an alternative perspective, I liked the non-block scheduling because I’m a huge procrastinator and the curriculum forced me to keep up with lectures since you only go 8-10 days without an exam in any given course. If we were true block with a couple big exams every 4-6 weeks, it would’ve been a disaster for me. Starting my dream residency that I never thought possible in a few weeks thanks to this curriculum!

Reactions: 3 users
As a second year I'm all in with the post above me. Definitely helps you stay on track and eventually you just get in a groove and get used to it. I would procrastinate like crazy otherwise