DMU vs CCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frostychipmunk

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I currently have acceptances to both of these schools, and I would appreciate any insights! I’m extremely interested in orthopedic surgery, and possibly ob-gyn or general surgery.

DMU
Pros
  • Cheaper, tuition $64k and lower COL
  • Great match rates
  • Faculty and current students seem to love it
  • Closer to home and extended family in the area, so I would have good support network
Cons
  • Extremely worried about rotations with the lottery system. some people can do year-long rotations at a preferred site, but it seems more difficult to arrange that
  • Research is important to me, and there aren't a lot of research options, especially for ortho
  • One building for the entire campus (without a library), and not in the city
  • Toured the school and left with a feeling that I would not be happy in that environment
Midwestern CCOM
Pros
  • Location, my goal was to move to a larger city for med school
  • Rotations within the Chicago area
  • Larger campus- touring next month but I like the campus feel based on pictures at least
  • Strong research options
  • Dual degree in precision medicine option that I'm pretty interested in if I go there
Cons
  • Considerably larger cost of attendance, tuition $82k and significantly higher COL
  • Current students have said that there’s not much for mentorship, specifically in the context of preparing for matching
  • Not a lot of students have matched ortho in the past few years but unclear if that’s also just preference by class
  • Quarter system seems to have more often exams
Both schools are graded and don’t have mandatory attendance or a dress code.

I know I can go to DMU and leave ready to be a doctor, but I genuinely don’t think that I would enjoy my time there, but I'm not sure if the increased price tag is worth it. I feel like I would have a somewhat equal shot at matching ortho/surgery from either, although it seems like CCOM has more opportunities, which I think will help more.

Members don't see this ad.