DMU vs. KCUMB vs. CCOM HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YinYin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I really need your help on this one -- pros and cons? Especially from ppl who go there or know others who are there now?

Thank you a million and one times!

Members don't see this ad.

I dont attend any of these schools, but of all of them I think I would like living in Chicago the best

I interviewed and was accepted at both DMU and KCUMB. The way I tried to look at how to eliminate a school was to see what it had to offer me. Both KCUMB and DMU are two of the original osteopathic schools with good reputations. Then, I wanted to see what ,if anything, each school had that one school didn't. When I was finished, I felt that DMU offered everything KCUMB had but more (surgical tech lab, nicer place to live, etc). Therefore, I released my seat at KCUMB.

Members don't see this ad :)
USArmyDoc said:
I interviewed and was accepted at both DMU and KCUMB. The way I tried to look at how to eliminate a school was to see what it had to offer me. Both KCUMB and DMU are two of the original osteopathic schools with good reputations. Then, I wanted to see what ,if anything, each school had that one school didn't. When I was finished, I felt that DMU offered everything KCUMB had but more (surgical tech lab, nicer place to live, etc). Therefore, I released my seat at KCUMB.
Good choice my friend. DMU all the way baby!! :thumbup:

jbone said:

Yea, I gotta say it was an amazing place. However, I must admit. I am holding out for Loyola University Chicago. Beign Roman Catholic, I want to have the religious perspective there if I feel I need it.

USArmyDoc said:
I would have to agree. I was accepted at both KCUMB and DMU, but I really just felt more comfortable at DMU. I was really impressed with the facilities (surgical skills lab, HARVEY cardiac simulator, laptop and PDA, KAPLAN prep for COMLEX, the OMM lab was nicer) and I like the city a little better. For me, DMU was a better fit.
I have heard great things about CCOM, but did not interview there.

YinYin said:
Hey guys,

I really need your help on this one -- pros and cons? Especially from ppl who go there or know others who are there now?

Thank you a million and one times!

I interviewed and was accepted at both DMU and CCOM, and for me, I just got a better "feel" from DMU. So maybe you got a similar feeling from one of the 3 schools you're contemplating. I'd say try a little introspection, and I'm confident you'll come to the right conclusion.

That being said, unless you have relatives to live with, or are willing to stick it out in the dorms/apts. on campus (Personally, no one could convince me to live in either of those situations now that I'm 23 and have lived on my own in nice places for even cheaper than what they're asking), the cost of living for CCOM will be far greater than DMU (I can't say for KCUMB). Chicago and the greater area/suburbs are obscenely expensive. Thus, your 4 year debt will be significantly greater. Other than that, I really didn't have any other negatives for CCOM. It was a great school, that offers many advantages and you will undoubtedly receive a fine education there.

Just my opinions, and you're welcome a million and TWO times.

It'sElectric said:
I interviewed and was accepted at both DMU and CCOM, and for me, I just got a better "feel" from DMU. So maybe you got a similar feeling from one of the 3 schools you're contemplating. I'd say try a little introspection, and I'm confident you'll come to the right conclusion.

That being said, unless you have relatives to live with, or are willing to stick it out in the dorms/apts. on campus (Personally, no one could convince me to live in either of those situations now that I'm 23 and have lived on my own in nice places for even cheaper than what they're asking), the cost of living for CCOM will be far greater than DMU (I can't say for KCUMB). Chicago and the greater area/suburbs are obscenely expensive. Thus, your 4 year debt will be significantly greater. Other than that, I really didn't have any other negatives for CCOM. It was a great school, that offers many advantages and you will undoubtedly receive a fine education there.

Just my opinions, and you're welcome a million and TWO times.

Yeah, cost of living is much higher around ccom, and tuition is about $8k higher than dmu's tuition if you're not an Illinois resident.

jbone said:

I had an interview at KCUMB but I turned it down due to a shortage of funds :D . However, I was accepted into DMU and, I have to say, the first few minutes that I was there I fell in love with the school. It just felt like it "fit" me and that I was "home". That being said, I don't know of any negatives to offer against DMU and, having not gone to KCUMB or CCOM, can only offer the advice I followed: when you arrive at the right medical school, you will just know, it will just "feel right". :thumbup:

Jamers said:
I had an interview at KCUMB but I turned it down due to a shortage of funds :D . However, I was accepted into DMU and, I have to say, the first few minutes that I was there I fell in love with the school. It just felt like it "fit" me and that I was "home". That being said, I don't know of any negatives to offer against DMU and, having not gone to KCUMB or CCOM, can only offer the advice I followed: when you arrive at the right medical school, you will just know, it will just "feel right". :thumbup:
Was interviewed and accepted into all three. Loved them all. Was down to CCOM and DMU but I just couldn't get over that "feeling" of DMU. I'm excited for the fall. Good luck to ya'll. :thumbup:

I was accepted to KCUMB and am really looking forward to it. It is the only school I applied to with systems based curriculum, which I didn't originally know about, but now that I do, love it! Basically, I heard too much about snobby, competitive CCOM students, and I am not impressed with the clinical rotations set up or the location (Iowa) of DMU. Plus KCUMB has a 98% FIRST TIME pass rate on boards!! I will be attending KCUMB next fall!
Good luck deciding!

ingridska said:
I was accepted to KCUMB and am really looking forward to it. It is the only school I applied to with systems based curriculum, which I didn't originally know about, but now that I do, love it! Basically, I heard too much about snobby, competitive CCOM students, and I am not impressed with the clinical rotations set up or the location (Iowa) of DMU. Plus KCUMB has a 98% FIRST TIME pass rate on boards!! I will be attending KCUMB next fall!
Good luck deciding!

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either three. Each one has their strong points.

okay, basic breakdown of schools pros and cons from my perspective.

ccom
pros
high board passage rate
safe suburban location (con for me, but most other people seemed to like it)
close to chicago
been around forever and strong reputation
other allied health programs might make student body more diverse (less stressed?)
solid clinical rotations

cons
very traditional curriculum with no new innovations except some minor pbl
tests at 7:30 on monday :eek:
no one goes to class (pro or con)
if you need to go to class, you'll be in class most of the day
limited amount of clinical exposure early on

dmu
pros
cheap(er) -- $30k tuition includes laptop your first year and low cost of living
somewhat innovative curriculum with systems based work added in second year
strong omm emphasis (pro or con)
nice facilities
lots of usage of technology (mp3s of lectures, etc.)
long history
high board passage rate
located in really nice area with lots of student housing nearby

cons
clinical rotations -- could be too flexible and some students have complained about it being a hassle arranging them. you might have to move several times
iowa (again, pro or con)
des moines (same as above :) )

kcumb
pros
high board passage rate for both comlex and usmle
lots of students specialize
long history
genesis curriculum
bigger city

cons
lots of students have to move for rotations and some are better than others
located in somewhat bad area
some students complain about the administration and the professionalism code

so, there are my thoughts. i don't think there's a right answer with this one because they're all good schools.

exlawgrrl said:
okay, basic breakdown of schools pros and cons from my perspective.

ccom
pros
high board passage rate
safe suburban location (con for me, but most other people seemed to like it)
close to chicago
been around forever and strong reputation
other allied health programs might make student body more diverse (less stressed?)
solid clinical rotations

cons
very traditional curriculum with no new innovations except some minor pbl
tests at 7:30 on monday :eek:
no one goes to class (pro or con)
if you need to go to class, you'll be in class most of the day
limited amount of clinical exposure early on

Hey, I think I sent you an email on a previous site about CCOM. I'm a grad from there and can't say enough about the program. It is definitely one of the most respected DO programs in the country. You say you are from the Chicago school, and everyone knows you received a good education.

Re: your cons-
1) Yes the program may be "tradiotional" ( I'm not sure what that means), but I was more than adequately prepared for the boards and my clinicals.

2)Yes, tests are at 7:30. Sucks, but it gets you used to the real world when you will be on-call/post-call/ and in the clinics at 5:00am!

3)No one goes to class? I did, and I might add most of us who did rocked the boards did as well. No, you don't have to go, but you'll be surprised what you'll miss if you don't.

4) Live in Chicago, you don't have to live in Downers grove. It's close, most of my classmates lived in the city their 3 and 4th years. I don't understand the "con" part though. Do you want to live in a dumpy suburb? Not an insult, I just don't understand what you are looking for.

5) As far as clinical exposure. Trust me, living in Chicago you will go to MANY top notch hospitals. You will be more than prepared for your intern year when you are done.

Please PM me if you have any questions.

Thank you all so much for your help! I think it's really down to KCUMB and CCOM for me, with a slight bias towards CCOM b/c of Chicago (I'm more of a city person). One thing that I was curious about was the amount of people in CCOM or KCUMB who are married/engaged/might as well be. I'm 23 and single and plan to stay that way for a while. Will I feel like I don't really fit in or anything like that? I know someone at KCUMB said that when I interviewed there so ...

Thanks again for all your input!

YinYin said:
Thank you all so much for your help! I think it's really down to KCUMB and CCOM for me, with a slight bias towards CCOM b/c of Chicago (I'm more of a city person). One thing that I was curious about was the amount of people in CCOM or KCUMB who are married/engaged/might as well be. I'm 23 and single and plan to stay that way for a while. Will I feel like I don't really fit in or anything like that? I know someone at KCUMB said that when I interviewed there so ...

Thanks again for all your input!

I think no matter what school you go to you will always have other singles there so you won't feel weird. But Chicago is a great city for the single life! (I'll admit I am a bit biased bec I am going to CCOM and am from the Chicago area). I don't know specific stats with how many are married/engaged at CCOM, but I am sure you don't have to worry about not fitting in.

I am accepted to both and i chose CCOM. I am from St. Louis so i want to be in a bigger city. The location of CCOM is nicer and safer. KCUMB is a great school, and it provides a very nurturing environment (from what i felt), and CCOM is definitly more competitive. But i think the competitive environment is better for me b/c it forces me to do better. The one thing i don't like about CCOM is that i have to do 3rd and 4th year rotations in the Chicago area. I would prefer to do them in St. Louis or near St. Louis. Oh, well. CCOM has a strong reputation. That's just my opinion.

Congrats on you acceptances! I hope I have the same dilemma! I was accepted to DMU and KCUMB and interview at CCOM and AZCOM next week.

I was very impressed by DMU- friendly students, nice campus, good price- but I'm a little wary of the clinical rotations there and would prefer to stay in one place.
In my opinion, the clinical rotations are the most important part of medical school. I've heard the rotations at CCOM are awesome, plus I'm hoping to get in-state tuition (my parents moved there in June). I know the cost of living is much greater in Chicago, but there's also a better chance that my sweetie can find a job there. So currently I'm leaning towards CCOM, but of course that's premature since I haven't even interviewed there yet!

If I were you I would make a big chart of all the pros and cons, like exlawgrrl did, but using your own opinions. Good luck, it's a tough decision! :) I'm sure you will get an excellent education at any of them!

From what I heard there are around 90 spots for people to stay in Des Moines for rotations, or you can move to michigan or ohio and stay put. Students say that from the DMU class of 2005 on, the rotation thing has been fixed and the office sets them all up for you. Chances are that you will being moving around to rotate at the sites where you want a residency anyway. It's not a big deal.

It's discussed here in detail... http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=243164

Misparas is pretty much right on. You can stay somewhere for all rotations or you can move as much as you want. And you certainly don't set up your own rotations. There are people that you work with to get it taken care of -- basically just tell them where you want to go.