DMU vs Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJS4878

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well all I can say is wow! I was pretty much set on going to Marian when I received two ii's; DMU and Nova. I interviewed at both and within a couple of weeks I had two acceptances. I am honestly stunned and couldn't have asked for a better cycle. However, the hardest part is now making a decision.

DMU

Pros:
A lot of freedom in the clinical years. Also, a good amount of year long rotation sites.
Dissection in anatomy lab, as opposed to prosected cadavers (does NSU have this, I am unsure)
Pretty innovative curriculum combining systems and discipline based as well as merging anatomy, OMM, and clinical skills in first year.
Surgical skills lab
Nice recreational facilities

Cons:
Location. It is cold and most definitely can't compare to S. Florida
Getting residencies outside the midwest may be tough, but I could be dead wrong.
I would have to take Biochemistry. Since I am in a gap year and working full time, this would be difficult

Nova

Pros:
Location. S. Florida is amazing, with what seem like great hospitals all around.
No attendance policy
Students mentioned what sounded like a server that had a ton of notes, study sheets, and back work from previous years. This seemed like a huge asset and I loved the fact that students are willing to collaborate like this. (Is this also available at DMU? or at least something similar)
I definitely felt comfortable there, I left feeling extremely excited.

Cons:
It does cost more
There seem to be a lot of complaints with administration.. I was hoping someone could elaborate on this.

I know that no one can make this decision for me, but all I am looking for is some input. Maybe some things that stood out to some of you that I may have missed. Just anything that can help me make a better decision!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

As long as you're alright with living in Iowa, I'd go with DMU. However, you really can't go wrong either way.

Reactions: 1 user
Well all I can say is wow! I was pretty much set on going to Marian when I received two ii's; DMU and Nova. I interviewed at both and within a couple of weeks I had two acceptances. I am honestly stunned and couldn't have asked for a better cycle. However, the hardest part is now making a decision.

DMU

Pros:
A lot of freedom in the clinical years. Also, a good amount of year long rotation sites.
Dissection in anatomy lab, as opposed to prosected cadavers (does NSU have this, I am unsure)
Pretty innovative curriculum combining systems and discipline based as well as merging anatomy, OMM, and clinical skills in first year.
Surgical skills lab

Cons:
Getting residencies outside the midwest may be tough, but I could be dead wrong.
I would have to take Biochemistry. Since I am in a gap year and working full time, this would be difficult

Nova

Pros:
Location. S. Florida is amazing, with what seem like great hospitals all around.
No attendance policy
Students mentioned what sounded like a server that had a ton of notes, study sheets, and back work from previous years. This seemed like a huge asset and I loved the fact that students are willing to collaborate like this. (Is this also available at DMU? or at least something similar)

Cons:
It does cost more
There seem to be a lot of complaints with administration.. I was hoping someone could elaborate on this.

I know that no one can make this decision for me, but all I am looking for is some input. Maybe some things that stood out to some of you that I may have missed. Just anything that can help me make a better decision!

Thanks

I went through a similar situation as you last year. I chose DMU. Very happy here, but it is cold. I took biochemistry online through UC Berkeley and DMU accepted it, so you can try that. Oh and we have a database where we can see past classes study notes. People post their study notes ALL the time on our facebook group too. Those are more helpful than old databases sometimes too. The second years also put on test review sessions like two nights before most tests where kids can go ask questions to the second years. Good luck with your choice!

Members don't see this ad :)
DMU.

Great atomosphere/faculty/students, a good match list, lower tuition, much lower cost of living, and very well established.

DMU

Pros:
Surgical skills lab

Cons:

Nova

Pros:
No attendance policy

Cons:
It does cost more

Thanks

First and foremost my advice is go to the school that's the best fit for you. Being happy in your surroundings is extremely important, in my opinion.

Nova does do dissections for anatomy. We actually have two labs. One where we dissect and another with prosected bodies (already dissected). A lot of us like this because there's always plenty of nicely dissected bodies that you can look at during lab and to study on if you wish. We all understand how crazy admissions has been for everyone this cycle and we feel really bad for you guys but the good news is it goes away after you start classes. Our administration has been very responsive and works closely with our student government. They've been very receptive and responsive to any concerns. At least up until this point. We have solid rotation sites, something I don't think Nova uses a selling point, but should. I'm sure someone told you about IGC in your interview but I'll mention it incase they didn't. We start working with a physician our first semester ( I think we started our second month ). Every third week we go into an office for the afternoon. At this point most people are taking vitals and patient histories. I know some who are doing basic physicals as well. I enjoy it. It makes what we learn in physical diagnosis relevant and reminds me why I'm studying my brains out.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.