DMU vs. NSU-KPCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

amitriptylean

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
DMU-COM
Pros
  • Reputation for a really great DO program (to my understanding)
  • Lower COL in comparison
  • Impressive 2024 match list
  • Grew up in the Midwest, more familiar with climate
Cons
  • Climate (I don't like the cold lol)
  • I don't think pre-clinical years are P/F?

NSU-KPCOM
Pros
  • NSU offers an MD and DO program- I imagine there's a lot of crossover with faculty and may help if you want to take COMLEX and Step for competitive residencies
  • Clearwater campus is newer, better facilities
  • Sunshine certainly doesn't hurt
Cons
  • No cadaver lab to my understanding
  • Higher COL
  • Kinda concerned by rumors of bad experiences but not sure how much I should believe, especially since it was 3 years ago? (See NSUKPCOM name and shame reddit thread)

Both are DO programs, and I'm OOS for both. Unsure of what specialty I might want to pursue for residency. Both seem equal in less-than-ideal clinical rotation sites (p much across the board for DO programs) and solid job opportunities for my partner who's a drug design chemist (also a factor in my decision). Please chime in if I missed something!!!