DMU vs Touro-Ca

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coldwater_Adler

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends. So, my top choice school is DMU, and I just got accepted! However, I have already paid the 2000 to hold my seat at Touro-Ca and I love their option for a dual DO/MPH in criminal justice and health equity. Like, really love it. Also, although Cali is more expensive, they have much better social programs for my daughter with Trisomy 13. More home nursing hours, more respite hours, and a unique program where my wife could get paid by the state as a CNA to take care of my daughter. So here are my pros and cons:

DMUCOM

Pros:
- Established reputation as a top DO school
- The Educator Scholar pathway of distinction would allow me to teach in my later years of medical school, a passion of mine
- Way cheaper cost of living
- Des Moines is a beautiful city and people who have lived there have nothing but good to say
- I heard the match lists are better, but I don't know if that is true
- Great impression from interview

Cons:
- Less social programs to support my wife taking care of our daughter
- Further from home in Utah
- Wife wants to move to Cali over here
- Doesn't have the DO/MPH in Health Equity and Criminal Justice
- Haven't paid the deposit yet

Touro - Ca:

Pros:
- Cali has many more public programs to support my wife in caring for our medically complex daughter
- Wife prefers Cali over Iowa
- I love California
- Students I talked to that attended love it
- Has the option to obtain a DO/MPH in just four years
- Values very much align with my own, e.g. social justice, diversity, compassion
- Already paid the deposit to hold my seat

Cons:
- I have heard DMUCOM has better match rates and board scores
- Doesn't have the same opportunities to teach
- Cost of living is more than double

Overall, I am very torn and think I would regret not choosing the other no matter what I pick. They both have unique programs that I would love - DO/MPH vs. Scholar Educator Pathway of Distinction. California is more expensive, but has more programs to support my wife and daughter. Probably going to go with Touro-Ca, but it is such a difficult decision.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You are going to be very busy over the next 4 years, so I think it would be a good idea to prioritize whatever is best for your wife and daughter. Assuming you can afford the cost of living in CA, that may be your best choice (have either of you ever lived there?)

Members don't see this ad :)
You are going to be very busy over the next 4 years, so I think it would be a good idea to prioritize whatever is best for your wife and daughter. Assuming you can afford the cost of living in CA, that may be your best choice (have either of you ever lived there?)

I lived there for two years on an proselytizing mission