DO 3rd year here..should I take Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PediatricMan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My COMLEX isn't all that (480). Should I take Step 1 at the end of 3rd year? I took a recent NBME and score between 200-210. Or should I just start trying to do my best on Step 2 and apply without a step 1?

Anyone who was in a similar situation can give advice or encouragement?

Members don't see this ad.

My COMLEX isn't all that (480). Should I take Step 1 at the end of 3rd year? I took a recent NBME and score between 200-210. Or should I just start trying to do my best on Step 2 and apply without a step 1?

TBH its a pretty low comlex. Most programs (MD) the cutoff is around 500-550. It also depends on the program some require a USMLE or they may not say it but after going through the experience myself...my comlex was much higher than yours and I only had a comlex and there were programs I didnt get an interview at and I know its because I didnt have a usmle. IMO i would take the usmle. You don't want to shut out opportunities because you don't have a usmle.

TBH its a pretty low comlex. Most programs (MD) the cutoff is around 500-550. It also depends on the program some require a USMLE or they may not say it but after going through the experience myself...my comlex was much higher than yours and I only had a comlex and there were programs I didnt get an interview at and I know its because I didnt have a usmle. IMO i would take the usmle. You don't want to shut out opportunities because you don't have a usmle.

I do plan on taking USMLE step 2..I'm just trying to decide if I should go ahead and take step 1 and score in the low 200s and not take as much time for step 2 or should I just take the rest of my time to try and kill step 2?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would want your goal to score low 200s. That's not smart. Some programs will still say that's too low. You need to do well on both usmle step 1 and 2. You will be filtered out of programs with a low step , no matter how u do on step 2
I do plan on taking USMLE step 2..I'm just trying to decide if I should go ahead and take step 1 and score in the low 200s and not take as much time for step 2 or should I just take the rest of my time to try and kill step 2?

you wa

Why would want your goal to score low 200s. That's not smart. Some programs will still say that's too low. You need to do well on both usmle step 1 and 2. You will be filtered out of programs with a low step , no matter how u do on step 2

you wa

That'd be the ideal situation wouldn't it. I'm here trying to ask what would be the best decision for my current situation...a low 200 step 1 is better than no step one and a low COMLEX score right?

Wondering for more input as well

I'll PM you.

So, I just matched with a 480s COMLEX and a low 200s USMLE. You're right that there are a lot of programs with 500 COMLEX cutoffs, but there are plenty with lower cutoffs as well. I think every place I interviewed probably would have interviewed me without the USMLE, but there were also interviews I didn't get that I would have gotten perhaps with a bit higher USMLE.

Obviously, you don't want to 'settle' for low board scores, but for me, thankfully, it worked out.

So, I just matched with a 480s COMLEX and a low 200s USMLE. You're right that there are a lot of programs with 500 COMLEX cutoffs, but there are plenty with lower cutoffs as well. I think every place I interviewed probably would have interviewed me without the USMLE, but there were also interviews I didn't get that I would have gotten perhaps with a bit higher USMLE.

Obviously, you don't want to 'settle' for low board scores, but for me, thankfully, it worked out.

Congrats on matching, I'm curious what made you believe that they would've interviewed you without the usmle?