Do adcoms look at ECs based on hours or years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know and it's unfortunate. I feel there are a lot of loopholes in the system that can be exploited by shady and deviant applicants.

Not sure why you picked this particular hill to die on, but it seems like something not worth obsessing over. Start and end dates are not always concretely established or recorded. I have a number of experiences I could fudge the dates for if I wanted to. I wouldn't do that of course (it's wrong and I don't have any reason to), but it would be easy.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
This is why you now have to give contact information of a supervisor (or similar person) for each EC. And why we audit some of them.

It's also why we don't bother nitpicking over the hour totals for most things. Worked in a lab for 6 weeks during a summer? Claiming 250 hours? Sounds right, whatever!
Not sure why you picked this particular hill to die on, but it seems like something not worth obsessing over. Start and end dates are not always concretely established or recorded. I have a number of experiences I could fudge the dates for if I wanted to. I wouldn't do that of course (it's wrong and I don't have any reason to), but it would be easy.

I don't know man. Like I said, these are all just loopholes for shady applicants to freely exploit without suffering much of a penalty (if they are smart about it). Sure they may be minor but they are still parts of an imperfect admissions process.

And truth be told, I got tagged into this thread for my input, which I happily gave (and got some nice insights from >3 different adcom members) ;)

So if I only have a 100hrs clinical volunteering but it was over 1.5 years (not summers but 3 semesters) it looks better than if I crammed it all in within a summer? Also if I trained new volunteers does that help at all? Where I volunteered was 45min each way from my undergrad so I was definitely committed (it was 3hrs a week), it was just difficult to get more hours due to the distance, specifically during winter months with snow etc. where I physically couldn't drive! My undergrad was relatively rural...there was a hospital about 15 min away that was very very small an only allowed volunteering such as stocking shelves, being a greeter etc. so I chose the further away one which allowed me to actually interact one on one with patients independently

I realize my clinical hours are low, and due to moving/a full time job of 45hrs that I started a few weeks after graduation I had to stop doing this. If I start another clinical volunteering gig in May and apply in mid-late June this cycle will that be frowned upon for starting so late? I tried to do more nonclinical volunteering while working full time because it's easy to do on weekends where most clinical places here only allow for shifts between 9-5 during the week. I've been trying to find another clinical opportunity that will allow me to either do it at night or on the weekend and am currently reaching out to hospices and other non-hospital places so hopefully I get one soon.