Do ADCOMS look at this website

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dannyboy1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone think adcoms look at this website and can figure out who you are (especially if you post an MDapps)?

Members don't see this ad.

good question. I was wondering that myself

But maybe you should be careful and not mention what part of your app is BS

Members don't see this ad :)
There is at least one ADCOM member who posts here, so it's a good bet there are more who lurk or don't identify themselves.

Do they try to figure out applicant identities? I doubt it.

If they knew who we were, they'd know a lot more about most people than they do from their AMCAS and secondary.

There is more than one known adcomm member who posts on these forums. We have many more unregistered viewers than members reading these forums at any given time.

People have been recognized in the past.

you are being watched, 'danny' boy

The best advice is don't post something that you don't want someone, on an ADCOM, to know about you or judge you about.

I'm sure that some adcoms look at this forum. The bottom line is that you should always represent yourself in the best way possible. Don't say anything you wouldn't say face to face to someone on this forum. There's no glory in hiding behind internet forum anonymity.

I'm sure that adcoms would use every piece of information at their disposal if they are given it. I know that I would if I were one.

there is no glory, but there is practicality

Yeah you can say what you want, meaning: be honest, on here as long as you maintain a decent amount of anonymity. If you have things like an MD apps and you post all of your info, like when you were complete, when you were invited for interview, what date you interviewed and where, you're gonna be easily identifiable. I prefer to stay anonymous at least until i'm into a medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
you think sdn is the ONLY info they have on you? remember you put in your credit card number for AAMC when registering for the MCAT and applications. now they can also check what you are having at Starbucks.

Does anyone know a person who was recognized. Also did it have any impact?

you think sdn is the ONLY info they have on you? remember you put in your credit card number for AAMC when registering for the MCAT and applications. now they can also check what you are having at Starbucks.

haha, good one.

I know of a few where it was good to possibly neutral. I don't know if they'd mention it if it were bad. Most try to let you leave the interview day with a positive feeling.

You'd be surprised how many school administrators have heard of if not regularly read SDN. I got a survery from Einstein about why I didn't choose to attend that even asked about the impressions I got of it from SDN. Either way, if there was somebody here taking a dump on my school and I saw on their MdApps that they had an interview coming, you better believe I'd shoot the dean an email with the link...

At one of my interviews last week someone from the school who gave us a presentation specifically mentioned SDN in a joking manner. I don't think he was on the ADCOM but he was a part of the Admissions department. Everyone in the room laughed when he mentioned this site. So yes, I know for a fact that that people from Admissions are at least aware of this places and possibly read it as well.

I did some work for the admissions office at my university and found out adcoms used college confidential.

However, they only used it for reference, not to stalk applicants. They used it to take a look at things people were saying about the school....mainly so they could hype up things people like. some of them actually are registered members, but they are only there to provide insight, and occasionally correct blatant misinformation.

I would be very surprised if adcoms actually used SDN to find specific people....it would take way too much effort to do that for every application.

I'm don't really care too much..I tend not to post anything here that I wouldn't be comfortable attaching my name to.

in a few years there will be a spot in the application, after the "have you ever committed a felony or misdemeanor" part where it asks "have you ever been banned or put on post hold at SDN"

I talked about SDN with an interviewer last week. They knew we got information about schools from it. It didn't seem like they were doing any profile searches though, it would take a decent amount of effort and the ADCOMS are usually pretty busy people.

You'd be surprised how many school administrators have heard of if not regularly read SDN. I got a survery from Einstein about why I didn't choose to attend that even asked about the impressions I got of it from SDN. Either way, if there was somebody here taking a dump on my school and I saw on their MdApps that they had an interview coming, you better believe I'd shoot the dean an email with the link...

Wow. You would only email him? I'd call and tell him on the phone if there would be no way to fly and tell him in person.

i think some things on here are useful to them, just as some things are useful to us (read: people's impressions of various schools and interview experiences), but my impression of a lot of the people that post on here is that they are neurotic, and obsess about things they shouldn't, and think certain things are a certain way when they're not, and sometimes are naive and/or feel they are superior to other applicants. that is tiresome to me, and i have to believe that it would be tired to an adcom member who's been around a while. so i can't really see them going through threads mining info on people. also, they're just admissions committes, not the CIA. made up of real live people with families and interests and not just robots obsessed with choosing the perfect entering class. so anyways...

Yes they do. But I doubt any of them actively screen for those who have applied to their school.

Does anyone think adcoms look at this website and can figure out who you are (especially if you post an MDapps)?
Yes, a significant number of adcoms read this site, especially student adcoms. Yes, the adcoms who read SDN can figure out who you are if you make an mdapp profile and/or post your interview invites on the forums. Yes, anything you post on SDN that is a "red flag" suggesting you are dishonest or otherwise not a desirable candidate can be held against you. The advice given above to never post anything on SDN that you wouldn't want associated with you in real life is good advice. Disregard it at your own risk.

in a few years there will be a spot in the application, after the "have you ever committed a felony or misdemeanor" part where it asks "have you ever been banned or put on post hold at SDN"

:laugh: HAHAHA ....

Then wait for two weeks for the 'Do I need to report my Infraction for insulting other members' threads.

They absolutely do. The Dean of Admissions at my school talks about going on SDN all the time to see the latest things that pre-meds are obsessing about.

:)

Last edited:
Yes they do. But I doubt any of them actively screen for those who have applied to their school.
Yeah, you're being watched. But as long as you don't post a thread like, "Here are all the reasons why school xxx sucks and I just had an interview there, and here's my mdapps," I bet you'll be ok.

This brings up an interesting point, though. Are adcoms allowed to use information outside of the application process, interview and overt correspondence to evaluate you? Like, do they use information from facebook to see that person x is apparently a binge drinker? Or that person y, judging from their facebook "notes," is an emo crybaby without the emotional maturity to handle med school?

This brings up an interesting point, though. Are adcoms allowed to use information outside of the application process, interview and overt correspondence to evaluate you? Like, do they use information from facebook to see that person x is apparently a binge drinker? Or that person y, judging from their facebook "notes," is an emo crybaby without the emotional maturity to handle med school?

Do they use it "officially"? Probably not. Are they allowed to? Absolutely. If you make the choice to post something online, you have to be aware of the consequences. Some interviewers may Google your name before meeting with you, and a lot of student interviewers will Facebook you. I know I do.

Do they use it "officially"? Probably not. Are they allowed to? Absolutely. If you make the choice to post something online, you have to be aware of the consequences. Some interviewers may Google your name before meeting with you, and a lot of student interviewers will Facebook you. I know I do.
Wow. My facebook picture is definitely changing. Should've thought of that... My app would have been screwed if were set up to interview with a patriots fan.

They can use anything they want, including a dislike of a particular aftershave, or their own personal quirks of distrusting anyone with the initials of BS. ;)

Absolutely they are. The primary purpose of the application process isn't to be fair to the applicants, its to be fair to the patients. To that end, the idea is to pick people who will best serve the patients and healthcare as a whole. The primary question, IMHO, is "who will best serve the patients and the mission of our school?"
If information is found that might suggest a person is not best suited to that goal, then of course admissions committees can use that information. After all, it would be unfair to the patients not to take those factors under consideration.