do all of the volunteer hours need to be finished before you submit your application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wu_53196

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA is high (3.989) and I am currently studying for the DAT and that should go pretty well (hopefully). I have 100 shadowing hours at 4 different dental clinics but I only have 34 volunteer hours. I am working on getting more but at best I probably will only get like 75 by the time I wanted to submit my application (the end of June) should I wait to submit it to get more hours or am I okay? I have worked all year each year as an RA so that took a ton of my time. I am involved in leadership roles in my campus ministry and I have completed over 400 hours of research and counting. I could continue to volunteer through July but I really want to submit my application right after I take the DAT (at the end of June).

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've read I would just submit your application asap and then update the schools with your new volunteering hours later. So you can still volunteer after you submit but you'll have to notify the schools that you've increased your hours. I believe this is true. But someone else with experience may know better than me. (Also I would say if you could get that to 100 hours you would be more than fine).