Do all the pre-reqs need to be complete before applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bhatiaa1

Pre-PT Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Or what % of pre-reqs needs to be completed by the time you send in your application?

I am a non-traditional student with a bachelor degree, currently taking the core pre-reqs for PT school. I am planning to apply to about 5-6 DPT programs this Fall. I notice a couple of programs requiring additional courses (ex. nutrition, med. term, extra semester of stats, etc.)... What ya'll think?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of programs say that no more than 2 pre-reqs can be outstanding. For me, I'm going to be done with my pre-reqs this summer and i'm only applying to schools that only require the basics (none of those extras you mentioned). Look at the websites of the schools you are interested in and see what they have to say. I think I've looked at every single school's website by now. Lol.

A lot of programs say that no more than 2 pre-reqs can be outstanding. For me, I'm going to be done with my pre-reqs this summer and i'm only applying to schools that only require the basics (none of those extras you mentioned). Look at the websites of the schools you are interested in and see what they have to say. I think I've looked at every single school's website by now. Lol.

So which programs are you planning to apply to?

Members don't see this ad :)
So which programs are you planning to apply to?

oh jeez...my list is so long right now since I'm just in the beginning stages of planning.

Duke, VCU, ODU, St. Augustine, Nova SE, Miami, WCU, South Carolina, Shenandoah, SW Baptist, Midwesterm, WVU, NAU, UMES, Armstrong-Atlantic, Marymount

I'm sure I'll add and cut all the way up until August which is when I'm planning to submit all my apps....so we'll see. I really, really want to go to Duke though! :)

Where are you thinking?

I am in an unique position where my wife will be applying to preventive medicine residency programs at the same time I'm applying to DPT programs. Since we have to couples match together, I am somewhat limited in where I am applying to. So far, I know I will apply to St. Augustine (San Marcos/San Diego), SDSU (new program starting Fall 2012), Loma Linda, New Mexico, UNC (Chapel-Hill), Regis (Denver), and UTHSC (San Antonio)...

We have a school (and location) in mind, but I can't say :)

Off topic, but how do we get stuff in the FAQ section here? I mean, I've seen this question a ballion gazillion times ;)

As for the OP- figure out what pre-reqs you need for the schools you absolutely want to apply to. I did notice that a lot of schools had an extra course or two that was required and as a post-bach student only taking the pre-reqs I wanted to be able to apply to a few schools without breaking the bank beforehand.

Every school is different so you have to research the ones you are interested in to know for sure. For instance, UNC requires all pre-reqs done the semester that you apply, Ohio State allows 2 outstanding pre-reqs, UCSF requires 80% of pre-reqs to be completed and UTSMC-Dallas says all of them can be outstanding but you need to have them done before starting the program. Most programs allow at least two as long as you have a reasonable plan to finish before the program starts. But you need to check with each program to be sure. The info is typically somewhere on their websites.

I was recently in a very similar position. I had an undergrad in accounting and after working in the industry went back to school with none of the science pre reqs I needed. I applied to two schools and interviewed and was accepted in late November to both schools. At that point I was taking Chem I, Physics I and Structural Knhs. I still had to take Chem II and Physics II the following semester. However, one program I was thinking of applying to (UT-Chatt) required completion of the first part of two part science course sequences before applying. All this to say, it depends on the school, but if they don't have strict requirements that they state, just go for it and you should be fine.