Do Allopathic consider grade forgiveness when looking at GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ashley704

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For osteopathic schools I have sGPA 3.53, cGPA 3.54, MCAT 508 but for allopathic schools my application shows sGPA 3.38, cGPA 3.43, and still MCAT 508.

**North Carolina student

Wondering if anyone has input on my chances allopathic schools will consider grade forgiveness? My first two years of undergrad my GPA was around 3.0-3.1, for the last six semesters in school my semester GPAs were: 3.5, 3.79, 3.8, 4.0, 4.0, 4.0 (spent 5 years in undergrad). Just trying to get some understanding of what I should expect. I appreciate any and all input.

Not sure what extracurriculars weigh heavy but I worked for 2 years as a CNA in a long-term care facility (~800 hours), volunteered as CNA at free medical clinic ~200 hours, shadowed a DO ~80 hours, and held a job (waitress) while also playing club lacrosse throughout college. Did research freshman year with a chem professor funded by the EPA for water treatment, also did research senior year with orgo professor with new lab techniques and made biodiesel fuel.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
MD schools average, and do NOT replace grades. There are a number of MD schools that place more weight upon the last 2 years of performance, rather than the entire UG scheme. Rising trends are always good. Your state school will love you.

Reactions: 1 users
MD schools average, and do NOT replace grades. There are a number of MD schools that place more weight upon the last 2 years of performance, rather than the entire UG scheme. Rising trends are always good. Your state school will love you.

Yeah I know technically they count them I'm just wondering when they claim to look at applicants holistically if these type of situations are taken into consideration. Thanks for your input. Sadly I really want to go to an OOS school... I live in NC but 6 miles from the SC border :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Trend is important but secondary to Sgpa, overall gpa and MCAT.
State schools are more "forgiving" of IS applicants; OOS, not so much

When looking at GPA do you think they consider holding one or two jobs all throughout school and playing a club sport as reasons that my GPA may be understandable? Or nothing really matters besides numbers at the end of the day?

You're expected to both excel, walk and chew gum at the same time, AND make good choices (like being good at time mgt and prioritizing).

The key thing is to make people realize that the you of now is not the you of then.

When looking at GPA do you think they consider holding one or two jobs all throughout school and playing a club sport as reasons that my GPA may be understandable? Or nothing really matters besides numbers at the end of the day?

Reactions: 1 users
The "numbers" are not everything, but they are the objective proxy for your priorities, organization and time management skills, ability to self-assess and insight.

Reactions: 1 user

They may wonder why you spent time on a club sport rather than studying, since you had two jobs. Called prioritization.