DO and MD curriculum comparison question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dennis rodman is such an idiot

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

So I clicked on the last page of this thread, and all I saw was "Dennis Rodman is such an idiot," and was like "Wow, I missed something. When did Dennis Rodman weigh in on the MD vs DO issue?"

Bahahahaha

Sent from my SCH-I405 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
not canadian, but i'll get down with Molsen any day.

Can anyone clarify what is going on with this "AOA absorption"/merge that may or may not happen in 2015? If I want to apply for an MD residency in DO school will I still have to take both tests? All of the articles i've been reading seem to be dodging the issues that would be of importance to those actually taking the tests. Or maybe my VR still needs work...

and what makes you think this guy is an idiot?
dennisrodsmh.jpg

:thumbup:

Boss, the curriculum of MD and DO schools is virtually indistinguishable.....minus the addition of a minimal credit hour class (aka OMM google it). So if you couldnt deal with things in the DO curriculum you couldnt deal with the MD curriculum either.

Secondly, you dont need to take the USMLE unless you want to. I took both, and no additional studying is required outside of maybe a few hours studying OMM. If you get to this state of the game and another 8 hour exam is enough to deter you...then I dont know what to tell you.

Thirdly 98% of DOs practice the exact same way as MDs. You learn the same things and are trained the same way.

Lastly, DOs in canada are different than DOs in the US. US trained DOs for all intents and purposes are equal to MDs. Canadian obtained DOs are essentially chiropracters. To my knowledge most/many provinces accept US DO degrees. Quebec is one that comes to mind that doesnt.

I believe Quebec law recently changed to give DO's full practice rights. American trained DO's can now practice in all provinces except for maybe one of the maritimes like PEI if I remember correctly.

As a Canadian though, if you go to a DO school, you will have to match in the US and will only really be able to return to Canada after residency, and even then you'd have to go to the specific provinces that grant the DO degree full practice rights.

Nope, you can match straight to CARMS (canadian match) as a DO. I believe in Ontario, BC and Quebec you go into the first round of the match with the American MD's. I think there is a DO pathology resident at U of T and I heard of a recent peads and OB match either at U of T or UBC.

DO's are relatively unheard of here in Canada but that looks like it is something that is changing rapidly with more and more Canadians picking DO over Irish or Caribbean schools.

not canadian, but i'll get down with Molsen any day.

Can anyone clarify what is going on with this "AOA absorption"/merge that may or may not happen in 2015? If I want to apply for an MD residency in DO school will I still have to take both tests? All of the articles i've been reading seem to be dodging the issues that would be of importance to those actually taking the tests. Or maybe my VR still needs work...

Both tests will likely exist regardless of the merger. If you go DO, you have to do the COMLEX, but even now you don't have to take the USMLE. A lot of ACGME residencies have ways to convert/compare COMLEX scores to USMLE scores. That being said, many (most?) still don't, so its still in your best interest to take both exams.

I believe Quebec law recently changed to give DO's full practice rights. American trained DO's can now practice in all provinces except for maybe one of the maritimes like PEI if I remember correctly.

Nope, you can match straight to CARMS (canadian match) as a DO. I believe in Ontario, BC and Quebec you go into the first round of the match with the American MD's. I think there is a DO pathology resident at U of T and I heard of a recent peads and OB match either at U of T or UBC.

DO's are relatively unheard of here in Canada but that looks like it is something that is changing rapidly with more and more Canadians picking DO over Irish or Caribbean schools.

Yeah, others and I mentioned all of that in later posts.

Now more importantly, back to cutting up on Dennis Rodman...

OICWUTUDIDTHAR
NoIphHI.jpg

The thread went Rodman. Epic.

Sorry for the stupid question, I literally could not figure out. So looks like the extra studying you have to do for the USMLE if you go to a DO school is not that significant and do-able along with the Comlex?

Anyways, going back to the Canadian thing...I just wanted to clarify. If I attend a US DO school then would it be possible for me to practise allopathic medicine in Canada one day and using what route or can someone with a DO degree only practise as a DO in Canada even if they've done the USMLE?

Sorry for the stupid question, I literally could not figure out. So looks like the extra studying you have to do for the USMLE if you go to a DO school is not that significant and do-able along with the Comlex?

Anyways, going back to the Canadian thing...I just wanted to clarify. If I attend a US DO school then would it be possible for me to practise allopathic medicine in Canada one day and using what route or can someone with a DO degree only practise as a DO in Canada even if they've done the USMLE?

According to DO med students, they study for the USMLE, take it, then spend a week studying OMM/OMT and the style of the questions for the COMLEX, then they take the COMLEX.

You are practicing medicine. DO, MD, they are both medicine. You are practicing traditional medicine. DO is your degree, and you are a physician. That's it. You are working as a physician. As long as you finish residency (apparently in the US or Canada), and are a Canadian citizen, you can work as a physician in Canada.

If someone is practicing as a DO in Canada, they are practicing medicine as a physician.