DO and USMLE???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surag

kobayashi
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, can you take the USMLE if you're doing DO? Does it put you at a disadvantage if your in DO to succeed in USMLE? I'd like to join an allopathic residency program to get into neurology or neurosurgery...it sounds far fetched but its a dream for me to do either of those. I havn't heard the most positive of things about the DO residencies for the neuro programs.

Members don't see this ad.

So, can you take the USMLE if you're doing DO? Does it put you at a disadvantage if your in DO to succeed in USMLE? I'd like to join an allopathic residency program to get into neurology or neurosurgery...it sounds far fetched but its a dream for me to do either of those. I havn't heard the most positive of things about the DO residencies for the neuro programs.

Yes. you can take the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX.

do both test the same thing? are you implying that I have to take the comlex so I can take USMLE as an addition? I mean if they test different things, i'd imagine it'd be incredibly difficult to prepare for both...

Members don't see this ad :)
do both test the same thing? are you implying that I have to take the comlex so I can take USMLE as an addition? I mean if they test different things, i'd imagine it'd be incredibly difficult to prepare for both...

You have to take the comlex no matter what.

If you go to a DO school, you will have to take the COMLEX. You may also sit for the USMLE if you wish. The exams test similar material, however the COMLEX will also include questions on OMM. Some people also have observed that the USMLE contains more biochemistry material than the COMLEX.

Neurosurgery is a very competitive field, while neurology is semi-competitive. If you are applying to allopathic programs in these specialties, some programs may perfer to see a USMLE score and some might be ok with the COMLEX only.

Do you even know what a DO is?

I thought you were not even sure if you wanted to become a physcian or not. I think before you even worry about what board exams you should really soul search on whether or not if this is the right path for you. Take one step at a time and focus on what's really important to you and not what's important to your father. And as Rose stated, Do you really know what a DO is?? If not, then do a lot of research on DO's and osteopathic schools. Well Good Luck, and I hope you find that maybe this path is for you and if not I hope you find something that is.:):)

For what it's worth, one of the neurosurgeons at the hospital I work at is a DO, so it is definitely possible to train in such a field as an osteopathic physician. However, don't expect too many people at your (theoretical) DO school to be overjoyed with such an ambition. At several schools, both osteopathic and allopathic, stating such a desire at your interview could be toxic to your application.

My cousin is a neurologist and he's a DO. I think his residency was allopathic as well. So it can happen.

To the OP keep in mind that at this current time, Neurology isn't a particularly competitive field to get into so it's not terribly far fetched an idea to get into a strong allopathic program.

However, neurosurgery is a completely different beast

There are some nuances for each of the two tests but both will test you on the first two years of medical school. There is no OMM and very little anatomy on the USMLE. Some say that the USMLE has better written questions. Some say that it is harder. Regardless, if you study hard, you should do fine.

The books that medical students use for the USMLE are readily available and there is some overlap in terms of what you will study for the COMLEX.

In terms of matching into an allopathic program: Neurology is not a competitive field to match into so you would have a very good chance at matching into an allopathic program.

Allopathic Neurosurgery is near impossible to match even as an MD. I would put your odds at matching at very low. For that matter, once you find out the type of lifestyle you will have to be living as a resident and attending, you may find that it doesnt appeal to you. This is why many of the top students opt for lifestyle fields.

To the OP keep in mind that at this current time, Neurology isn't a particularly competitive field to get into so it's not terribly far fetched an idea to get into a strong allopathic program.

However, neurosurgery is a completely different beast

Beat me to it. They are also very different fields aside from having "neuro" in them and some very basic overlap.