DO and USMLE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabedoc13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it true that you can go to a DO school and take the USMLE to get an MD?

Members don't see this ad.

not get an MD degree, but able to get into an MD residency

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it true that you can go to a DO school and take the USMLE to get an MD?

Of course not. I don't know where you would have gotten that idea. If you attend and graduate from an osteopathic medical school, you will receive the DO degree, regardless of taking the entire USMLE series. There's no way around that. If you want an MD degree, attend an allopathic medical school.

Easy fellas.. he or she is new on the forum. You'd be surprised how many people I've come across in public who have asked this.

OP, you can take the USMLE if you want to get into an ACGME residency, but as an osteopathic student you'll also have to take the COMLEX set of exams. From what I've heard you can apply for the ACGME residency programs, and if you're unsuccessful scramble for an osteopathic residency as their match occurs before the ACMGE match. Some people believe there's better training, whether that is true or not I haven't got a clue as we're no where near that stage of the game, but to me I think it boils down to location as to why some places are more desirable than others. Either way, you'll graduate from osteopathic medical school with a DO, as that's the degree which is granted, and in America has full and equal practicing rights and since 2003 (is that correct?) one of the accreditation boards (forget which one) considers both MD and DO equal.

You aren't usually "required" to take the USMLE for most programs, but they like to see it. Step 1 and 2.

No it will not get you an MD, but at that point, who really gives a ****?

No it will not get you an MD, but at that point, who really gives a ****?

Does anyone know what the stipulation is if you finish with a DO and decide to practice overseas such as with doctors without borders? Is being a DO recognized as a physician in other countries?

Depends on the country, but I don't think there's usually much of a problem. Not any more than any other doc from one country trying to get licensed in another country.