Do any vet students live on their campus?

Started by August24
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

August24

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel I am putting the cart before the horse on this one, but are there any vet students living on campus? I ask because I doubt if I'll bring a car to any school I get into, and won't know the area/be established enough the first year to find the right thing off campus.
 
You could ask around and just find some vet school upperclassmen looking for a roommate.
 
I know a girl who lived in family housing as a vet student, but she lived with her husband and his... cousin? Something weird like that. It's right next to the school, so it was convenient, but it still kinda sucks living on campus.

Conversely, I know a vet student that walks to and from her apartment without issues - probably 10-15 minutes? It's not usually too cold/snowy here, so it works well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I really don't know about Vet School, but when I was in undergrad we couldn't live on campus during the 'breaks'. They did room checks, any maintenance and repairs, etc. Fall break, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter, Spring break. We had to find somewhere else to stay if we weren't going to our hometowns. And take whatever you needed with you, as you didn't have access to your rooms until the break was over.

I could only put up with this for 1 year, after that I got my own apartment about a mile from Campus. Made good use of my bike!

To me that is something to ask about, and really consider if you are looking to live in on campus housing.

E: Oh yeah, and when I had sat down and figured out the cost of living on campus vs. off campus, off campus actually came out cheaper for the year! I included finding living arrangements for the summers into on campus housing costs.
 
yeah I'm not concerned with being there over breaks or pets or anything, I basically plan on imprisoning myself in the library, etc for 4 years, and don't want to deal with commute/pets/roommates paying rent/etc. I've lived both on and off campus in undergrad. I was just curious if there are any vet students out there who do live on campus and what that experience is like or if there is graduate housing available or if you have to find a place in undergraduate residence halls.
 
One of my classmates does and one of my (sadly) former classmates did as well. There is graduate school housing available on campus. I'd look into the budgeting aspect of it though...as I recall undergrad dorm life the fees weren't all that reasonable. Plus you won't have a kitchen and will need a meal plan, so figure that in. Cost wise, I don't know if it's a help or not.

At some point though you will likely need a vehicle, definitely by 4th year. If you're on-call you need to be able to get the VTH quickly. Our graduate housing at least is all the way on the opposite side of campus from the vet school and would require running the whole way there to answer a page. Something to keep in mind.
 
yeah I'm not concerned with being there over breaks or pets or anything, I basically plan on imprisoning myself in the library, etc for 4 years, and don't want to deal with commute/pets/roommates paying rent/etc.

I'm hoping you are joking, as that's a delightful way to burn yourself out.
 
I don't know of any vet student here who lives on campus. It sounds horrible to me since I like a more quiet environment - campus housing hasn't been quiet in my experience. They also don't allow pets.

There are usually other students who are looking for roommates at the start of the school year if you'd like to try that. It's quite common.
 
There's a few of us that live in the campus housing at Wisconsin. It is for grad students/faculty/staff/families. I think it is nicer than most equivalent places. Very quiet nice area etc.
 
I think a couple of students in my class live/lived in grad housing. I don't remember hearing any major complaints about it, but I kind of like living off campus. It's nice to get away to my own little house.