Do AP credits count towards your pre-requisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jae9970

Freshman Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you took AP exams and obtained credits for, say, biology or chemistry and placed out of intro classes, do these count towards the pre-req??

Members don't see this ad.

Most med schools accept AP credit, but not all (Vandy doesn't, not sure if there's others). Make sure you check with the individual school.

Columbia doesn't. Harvard doesn't for Physics and Math (and probably Chemistry... I didn't look). Some only require like a year of 'college biology', which can either mean general biology, or upper division courses if you places out. University of South Carolina requires that not more than 25% of the total credits be AP. I can't remember any of the others.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools take AP credit, some do not, but many of the schools I have seen are okay with AP credit in a given department as long as you go on to take upper level courses in that department and do well in them. So, if you place out of intro physics with AP credit and take higher level physics courses, for example, most schools would accept that as a fulfillment of your requirement and probably look favorably on it.

Most med schools accept AP credit, but not all (Vandy doesn't, not sure if there's others). Make sure you check with the individual school.

I called Vandy, and they said that if you designate an upper level course in the same subject, then it's ok. I don't know if there's a place for that on the secondary or if you email/call them or what. I have seen several schools that accept English or maybe Gen Chem AP credits, but require non-AP biology (however, I haven't found one yet where you can't substitute upper level credits).

As far as private schools go, I have no idea. Probably best to check with the individual schools that you want to apply to. All I can do is speak for my school, LSU-NO, and they don't take AP credits.

On the East coast,

Columbia, U. Roch, Boston University, Tufts, and Vanderbuilt will give you trouble about APs. Most of the other schools will accept it as long as you can prove it in the end. Do a search, I put up a list of east coast school reponses to AP credits a while back.