DO Applicant MCAT advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shinosuke

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1/28/17 MCAT - 502 (122 / 128 / 126 / 126) Previous MCAT (10/2014 25 (9/8/8) and 24 5/2014 (8/8/8))

I decided to retake the MCAT because some DO schools requested I retake it as I interviewed this cycle (I am still waiting to hear back from 2 schools).

I'd also like to preface this by saying 2 things. 1) there was an issue right before I took the MCAT which possibly made me super anxious/tense the first section. 2) I don't have a plan to retake the MCAT.

If you would like to hear more about 1) I will type a brief summary here, otherwise ignore: my name had a hyphen (X-Y) on my exam but my driver's license had (XY) - no hyphen. They wouldn't let me take the test, had to call officials / get them to say it was okay, took 20-30 minutes to resolve this and I was extremely stressed out. But, this is an excuse at the end of the day. I didn't void because I thought the C/P section was fairly straightforward but I must have skimmed questions too quickly.

Chem/Physics was my strongest section in all my practice tests (125 lowest and 129 highest) so when I got a 122.. I was disheartened, shocked, and just scared. Will I get screened out from a lot of schools because of this?

I studied pretty hard while working 2 full time jobs and I was averaging 506~ on practice tests. I improved on everything but dropped dramatically on chem/physics on the real deal. Will they see my previous two MCAT scores and see that C/P was an outlier or am I screwed because it was 2+ years ago since I took it?

My other stats:
I had a 3.74 cGPA / 3.7 sGPA with grade replacement, but I have a 3.5 on both without it.
cGPA - 3.5
sGPA - 3.5

Research - 500 hours (no publication)
medical scribe trauma 2 center - 2500 hours
medical assistant private orthopedic office - 1400 hours
Volunteering local hospital - 500 hours
Volunteering community - 500 hours

Do you think the 122 will screen me out completely from schools?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I interviewed at CUSOM (rejected post interview, was advised to take a more recent MCAT), Rowan SOM (will hear back in 2 weeks or so), NYIT COM (will hear back this week or next).

Rejected RVUCOM pre-II. No response from ACOM. AT Still Arizona (I updated my MCAT score but it will take 10-12 days to process; I was told they will contact me after they receive my updated score).

Thank you in advance for your advice!

edit: I sent an e-mail to Rowan / NYIT updating my recent MCAT. Not sure if that hurt me or not because of the 122 on C/P..

Members don't see this ad :)
You could still receive an acceptance this year. If not I suggest you apply to many more schools in the upcoming cycle and include all of these:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UIWSOM
RVU-Utah
NYIT-Arkansas
ATSU-SOMA
any new schools that open in 2018 (there will be several).

You could still receive an acceptance this year. If not I suggest you apply to many more schools in the upcoming cycle and include all of these:
ACOM
ARCOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
LMU-DCOM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
LUCOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
UIWSOM
RVU-Utah
NYIT-Arkansas
ATSU-SOMA
any new schools that open in 2018 (there will be several).

Thank you for the advice! I will certainly look into these schools if I do not get in this cycle. I would like to ask one more thing if possible; do you believe my 122 C/P will get me screened out pre-II in many schools?

Thank you for the advice! I will certainly look into these schools if I do not get in this cycle. I would like to ask one more thing if possible; do you believe my 122 C/P will get me screened out pre-II in many schools?
No, because they will see your previous scores also.